Thread: Repair Vista SP1 & XP SP3 registry errors caused by Symantec software

Thanks

Default Repair Vista SP1 & XP SP3 registry errors caused by Symantec software

Source

June 8, 2008 |
    Repair Vista SP1 registry errors caused by Symantec software
    By Jonathan Schlaffer

Vista has enough of its own problems without having to concern users with third party software issues, yet, they do exist. Symantec made a partial admission that its SymProtect feature was responsible for registry corruption during both Windows XP SP3 and Vista SP1 upgrades. The company recently delivered a software utility to locate and repair these registry problems.

If the SymProtect process was running during the installation of the Service Pack this would prevent a Microsoft utility called Fixccs.exe from executing which deletes registry entries created during the installation process. This is what would lead to the corruption problems.

SymProtect is designed to protect Symantec’s security suite from being attacked by any kind of malware and this is why it prevented from Fixccs.exe from running.

Other security suites have similar functionality, so if your system seems to have a mind of its own after the update then this may well be the problem. Symantec is one of the bigger names in the consumer and enterprise security software industry and so therefore can provide the utility.

The provider of your software may not be so include though Microsoft may eventually get around to providing a general fix for those affected by similar issues.

According to Realtechnews, Symantec was quick to blame Microsoft but eventually admitted to the XP SP3 problems and then to the Vista SP1 problems. The tool can be downloaded directly from Symantec.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I would rather have virus and spyware on my PC than a norton/symantec product.
    Heres a nice one, a fresh Vista install totally bricked my brothers modem/router ( luckily under warranty)

Thanks

Highly unlikely Vista been software is reason the modem/router is dead !

Quote Originally Posted by rob916 View Post
    I would rather have virus and spyware on my PC than a norton/symantec product.
    Heres a nice one, a fresh Vista install totally bricked my brothers modem/router ( luckily under warranty)
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Thanks

Thats what I thought.
    Have a search, bit of a problem a while ago.
    Some unhappy ppl.