Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: antenna set up

Thanks

Default antenna set up

bit of a newbie, but would like some help on where to buy a complete antenna set for digital tv in western NSW, would like to split it to 4 tv's, is there someone or somewhere that I may be able to buy a whole package antenna, splitter, cables, wall brackets??

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Western NSW is a big area.... can you narrow it down to your city/town?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool Vast?????

Quote Originally Posted by lonegull View Post
    bit of a newbie, but would like some help on where to buy a complete antenna set for digital tv in western NSW, would like to split it to 4 tv's, is there someone or somewhere that I may be able to buy a whole package antenna, splitter, cables, wall brackets??
    G'Day Cobber.
    Better still, what are your interests?
    Pay or FTA via Satellite or Terrestrial.
    Western NSW suggests that you may be eligible for Government subsidised installation, VAST.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Administrator
    Thanks

He's posted in the Digital Terrestrial Television forum and asking about antennas, so there's a clue.

More info on location needed though.

Thanks

bourke, our switch over is happening in a couple of weeks

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

According to the Digitalready site, your not due to switchover untill 2013 BUT they propose to commence installations during JUNE 2012 in preperation.
    This could mean a full compliment of all the digital channels or none or on a Test today, off for a month basis.
    If you have read others postings, some areas almost waited to the last moment before services where commenced and in a very few places, some waited a couple of months before the full suite of channels were available.
    Ie they got 2,7,9,10 but not Go!,Gem,7Mate,7Two etc.
    From what your saying they havent commenced this 'June' testing yet so be patient.
    If you havent allready I would expect you to receive some literature from the Digitalready Task force with relevant details for your specific location.
    If my info is correct, take your time before deciding what you need and check prices as it isnt always the dearest are the best nor brand names either.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

thanks Gordon information is muchly appreciated

Even though we are a bit away I still would like to purchase an antenna and equipment so I can split the service 4 ways. So I am keen to seek how and where to buy stuff from,

Thanks

I do note that the commercial stations announcement appears on the Mt Oxley transmitter information on digitalready. But it would make more sense if it applied to the Water Treatment Plant Transmitter. The following information is assuming that is the case:

Theres no such thing as an antenna kit really, as each installation is different. In your location you'll likely require two separate aerials.

A VHF antenna pointed at Mount Oxley with horizontal polarisation for ABC.
    and...
    A UHF antenna pointed at the Water Treatment Plant with vertical polarisation for the commercial broadcasters (Imparja, Southern Cross, and Ten Central), with SBS likely to also be provided in the future.

Without signal level measurements onsite combined and number of outlets its hard to recommend any antennas. But a medium gain antenna for ABC, and a low to medium gain antenna for the others would be a good starting point.

The commercial remote area broadcasters intend to start broadcasting permanently on July 17th. These dates are never set in stone. Installing using the trial signals before then is not necessarily a good idea as the engineers may make adjustments that will affect your reception.

Administrator
    Thanks

lonegull,

As nbound said, there's no specific antenna 'kit' and much will depend on available digital signal measurements at your location.

I would strongly advise waiting until the digital cutover and testing phase is complete, so we then know details of the transmitters, location/s and channels etc.

ACMA are in the process of standardising most transmission sites to either VHF or UHF, so it's quite possible you will have all digital TV channels available from one transmission site and also likely to only require one antenna.

As for suppliers, I highly recommend in Sydney.

You can download their catalogue.

They will freight items to you.

Ensure you use RG6 Quadshield coax with F connectors, an F type splitter and either fully F type or F rear/PAL front fully-shielded outlets.

RG6 Quadshield flyleads too.

You will need a crimping or compression tool to fit the selected connectors.

Do not use twist-on connectors! (they have a very high failure rate).

Depending on signals, you may need a small distribution amp/4-way powered splitter.... but.... it all depends on signals at the antenna.

Once again, wait until we have accurate info on digital terrestrial signals available to you after the cutover and can make some 'general' suggestions for antennas then.

As with any antenna installation, nothing beates having signals measured accurately to determine the most suitable antenna and the best mounting location for it.

P.S.... from your earlier posts, I see you already have VAST satellite.

Thanks

Thnaks for the info

Yeah MTV have vast, but can only watch one channel per outlet, so if the family are watching it in the loungeroom I cannot watch another channel in the bedroom if you get my drift hence my question regarding splitting an antenna 4 ways

Administrator
    Thanks

Thnaks for the info

Yeah MTV have vast, but can only watch one channel per outlet, so if the family are watching it in the loungeroom I cannot watch another channel in the bedroom if you get my drift hence my question regarding splitting an antenna 4 ways
    If you have terrestrial reception, you shouldn't need VAST anyway.

One of the downsides of satellite TV... for fully independent viewing, you need a decoder for every TV.

You can distribute the satellite signal from one dish to 4 or more outlets, but you would still need a decoder for each one.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

lonegull (21-06-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

It seems incredible that they propose to transmit from 2 sites rather than utilise one which would make more sense but then, when has 'sense' been listened too.
    I agree with both MTV and nbound for you to wait and see what eventuates before buying anything.
    The fact you didnt say if any brochures from DigitalReady had been received yet advising you of the proposed Digital transmissions tells me that ANYTHING is on the drawing board.
    Probaly too late for you but you can pretend to be a 'Wise Virgin' and just keep a watching brief.
    Ohhh, and keep watching the Myswitch site as it can and does change without warning.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    It seems incredible that they propose to transmit from 2 sites rather than utilise one which would make more sense but then, when has 'sense' been listened too.
    Back in ye old analog days:
    Id guess that originally ABC was only available, ABC generally try to cover as much population as possible. In areas of low density population the commercial broadcasters may deem it less profitable. So when they decided to install transmitters they covered the bulk of the population using a smaller power transmitter.

Now as we get to today, the ABC arent going to shut off their transmitter, and are required (IIRC) to upgrade it to digital. They could install another transmitter onto the one in town and may eventually do just that. But until something is announced that wouldnt be set in stone.

There are other transmitters missing stations for various historical reasons aswell.

Premium Member

Thanks

nbound, I gather many places like Bourke were basicaly lucky to get a single channel being so far away form anyone who cared but I meant today with the introduction of the whole suite of digital channels.
    Back when aggregation was introduced, I stupidly thought that over time, each area would have had all 5 channels made available but like so many things, the further off or out of sight places were, this didnt quite happen and unless there is a concerted effort by the 'locals' I wouldnt doubt the Broadcasters would happily just get slower and slower untill it took so long, everyone would forget about it.
    After all, it is the 'Back o' Bourke' aint it?
    Would I be right in guessing that many had Aurora and now VAST because they never had access to other than just the ABC there?

Thanks

Default aman

this is great post. I like it

Administrator
    Thanks

Many remote/isolated/small communities had (and some still do) have analogue terrestrial retransmissions of Aurora.

These analogue retransmission sites will convert to digital terrestrial, or cease operating, requiring residents to install VAST satellite.

Bourke is slated for a digital terrestrial upgrade.

Premium Member

Thanks

I wondered if it was a rebroadcast site. A friend who has relatives at Cobar said they had a rebroadcast site covering that area.
    MTV, I love the word 'Slated', it allows for such latitude doesnt it.
    Its not that we dont believe it will happen but untill it does, its 'On the Slate' !!

Thanks

Just antoher quick question, it looks like we will need two antennas because UHF has to point in one direction and VHF in another direction, with the new aerials available with f connectors how do I run two antennas into a four way splitter?? as the four way splitter I have only has one input.

Thanks

Use a VHF/UHF diplexer. If you have a masthead amplifier, many of them have an inbuilt diplexer, but may require a jumper in or out of a position to work best.

If you cant get a diplexer straight away but the signal is reasonably strong, it may be possible to use a 2way splitter in reverse in the mean time, but a diplexer will provide superior results.
    Last edited by nbound; 08-07-12 at 10:43 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to nbound For This Useful Post:

lonegull (09-07-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

Yes, a VHF UHF diplexer... combined single output connects to the 4-way splitter input.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

lonegull (09-07-12)

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast