Thread: Online security

Thanks

Default Online security

what is the best free malware/spyware software to down load, mail has been sent (spam) from my yahoo account that wasn't me.

need to check my computer........

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

luvpkn (28-06-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Change your Yahoo password and also your alternate email address in settings.

Here's some info from Yahoo.....

Description

This article offers several important steps that should be taken in the event of:

Accounts sending spam
    Getting bounced messages for mail that didn't send such as Failed Delivery or MAILER-DAEMON messages
    IM is telling my contacts to take an IQ quiz or how to win a prize when logged out of account
    Strange logins from countries I've never visited
    Account is asking for my contacts to send money or provide their password
    Someone else is using account to send email
    Should I close my account because it is sending spam?

Resolution

If you suspect that your Yahoo! account is being used to send spam messages to your contacts, our users have found the following steps successful in combating the problem:

Resetting Your Password
    If your Yahoo! account's password has been compromised, the fastest (and easiest) way to stop spam from being sent is to replace it with a new, strong password which will be more difficult for spammers to guess.

To learn more about setting up a strong password, please see this help article. Also, be sure to visit the Yahoo! Security Center for more information about keeping your account secure.

Reviewing Your Alternate Email Address Information
    While changing your password will resolve most spam issues, it is important to check that your account's alternate email address has not been modified. If it has been, the party responsible for the spamming may be able to regain access to your account.

To view your account's alternate email address, go to your account's Email Management Page. If you don't recognize the email on file, click here for the steps to update/change it.

Note: Should your account continue to send spam after completing these steps, we strongly recommend that you use a trusted anti-virus program or malware protection suite to review your system. Malware programs (key loggers, viruses, worms, etc.) are usually installed on your system without your knowledge by visiting an infected website and are intended to capture sensitive information and relay it to a third party.

To learn more about protecting your PC from these threats, please see this article in the Yahoo! Security Center.

If these steps do not resolve your issues, please click here to learn how to combat an account that continues to send spam.

Additional Information

If your account has been compromised and you are missing emails, contacts, or your "Reply-to address"/"From name" has been modified, please review our article on Restoring your Yahoo! account.
    To learn more about your account's login activity history, click here to learn about that feature on your account.

Mick

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

luvpkn (03-07-12),Tiny (28-06-12)

2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

with malware bytes Do a full scan in safe mode,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luvpkn View Post
    what is the best free malware/spyware software to down load, mail has been sent (spam) from my yahoo account that wasn't me.

need to check my computer........

It's also quite possible that nothing was actually sent from your account at all. It's just that your yahoo email address was used as the 'reply to' email address. The same thing has happened to me a few times over the years even with an ISP account to the point I've received irate emails from those receiving the spam.

The other posters have all given you good advice which should be followed. It's just you may not find anything and it's usually not much to worry about.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

luvpkn (03-07-12)

Thanks

June 29, 2012 8:50 AM Browser Logged in to Mail Australia
    June 28, 2012 9:55 AM Browser Logged In Australia
    June 28, 2012 9:55 AM Browser Logged In Australia
    June 28, 2012 9:12 AM Browser Mail Access Australia
    June 28, 2012 9:08 AM Browser Mail Access Australia
    June 27, 2012 10:18 PM Browser Logged in to Mail Japan
    June 27, 2012 8:30 AM Browser Mail Access Australia

Date and time match the spam in my sent folder

Somebody in Japan logged into mail and sent spam, interesting. I just changed my password again and deleted all my contacts, only use the address to receive internet mail anyways, cant be to careful, malware bytes didn't find anything, interested to know how they logged in??????

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

It might pay to do a scan with Emsisoft Emergency Kit 2.0 download from the link below. I've used this program before and it managed to uncover a rootkit that malwarebytes didn't pickup.

Warning.... After a deep scan check the files it may find before you delete, because although this scanner does find stuff the others miss it is known for having a few false positives.

Mick

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

tristen (07-07-12)

Thanks

I also have same problem and thought that there is no solution of this problem, But this the help of this forum I have get solution,so I would like to say thanks to the mickstv how have given us such nice ideas. thanks luvpkn who have posted this thread.