Thread: free to air satellite tv

Thanks

Default free to air satellite tv

I bought a second hand 700Wx600H Ku dish and installed a new dual polarity Ku LNBF. I have installed it and it works fine .

I am getting strong signals from two satellites, namely OptusC1 and OptusD2

I am getting a list of 130 TV Channels and 150 Radio channels.

I am interested only in the FTA ( free to air ) TV Channels.

My Receiver is a five years old Digital Satellite Receiver GS-1590 which I brought with me from overseas. Its system information is as follows:-

H/W Ver: CAS: 352033
    S/W Ver: CASSM3X-V5.2
    Loader info. FTA-BL-V2.0
    Update Date : Sep 6 2005

It does not have a card reader. It can scan automatically or manually. I can input manually the SR-FEC SID, VPID and Audio PID which I am getting from the lyngsat website.

I tried one of the free to air channels and input the proper configuration but I am not getting any reception at all.

Where am I going wrong?

Does my receiver firmware needs upgrading and how do you do that?

The receiver has a provision to connect to a computer to do the upgrading.

Need your help.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hi sunny and welcome to Austech!

Thanks

Hi Padre. Can you help?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool Optus FTA setup.

G'Day Cobber,
    The first and most obvious thing that you have not mentioned, is whether you have set up your LNB correctly.
    In your antenna menu, is there "normal" 10600 and 11300 as well as Universal. You need to set the latter to the Hi/Lo frequencies as shown on your LNB. Next will come " Skew " of the LNB.
    I hope this solves your problem, if not we will have to look at other possibilities.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

Hi sunny, welcome to the forum.
    As for your problem read the above msg, i tend to think that your lnb setting may be incorrectly inputed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post

G'Day Cobber,
    The first and most obvious thing that you have not mentioned, is whether you have set up your LNB correctly.
    In your antenna menu, is there "normal" 10600 and 11300 as well as Universal. You need to set the latter to the Hi/Lo frequencies as shown on your LNB. Next will come " Skew " of the LNB.
    I hope this solves your problem, if not we will have to look at other possibilities.

Thank you for your reply.

My LNB is 11300 and I have configured it on my receiver menu.

Also the 13V and 18V output to the LNB is on.

I checked the skew of the LNB it is spot on. I tested it with a satellite finder meter until I got the highest signal.

My receiver shows the strength of the quality coming from both Optus satellites. I am getting 72% on OptusD2 and 92% on mu OptusC1.

Maybe I am not putting in the right SR-FEC which I am getting from Lyngsat in the proper place on the receiver when I do it manually. Still I do not receive any signals when I change the receiver to Auto Scan.

I am new in this game. I am learning as we go along.

I appreciate your help.

Regards

Sunny

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post

My receiver shows the strength of the quality coming from both Optus satellites. I am getting 72% on OptusD2 and 92% on mu OptusC1.

Sunny
    Are you seeing signals from both satellites at the same time or are you moving the dish from one to the other ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bulbous View Post
    Are you seeing signals from both satellites at the same time or are you moving the dish from one to the other ?
    The dish is fixed. However I am getting two strong signals from the two Optus satellites.

My Receiver shows the signal coming from each satellite individually. It shows the list of channels coming from each satellite individually also. I noticed that some channels are coming the same from the satellites. NITV, EXPO, Foxtel HELP and OPTUS INFO. That is alll I am getting the rest I am unable to watch. I am interested in the FTA channels only.

The one I tried to get is AlJazeera English. I input the frequency parameters, but I am not getting it. I got the info from Lyngsat website.

Thanks and appreciate your help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by satboy View Post
    Hi sunny, welcome to the forum.
    As for your problem read the above msg, i tend to think that your lnb setting may be incorrectly inputed.

I have answered some of the queries raised. I appreciate your input . If you have any suggestion or idea how to get the FTA chanells, please let me know

Thanks.

Thanks

G'Day Cobber,

I am re-reading your message. What do you mean by Hi/Lo frequencies as shown on the LNB? is it the 950-1750 or the Vertical and Horizental.

If it is the 950-1750 my receiver can get between 950-2050 automatically.

Thanks

Red face Universal L N B.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post
    I am re-reading your message. What do you mean by Hi/Lo frequencies as shown on the LNB? is it the 950-1750 or the Vertical and Horizental.

If it is the 950-1750 my receiver can get between 950-2050 automatically.
    It seems that I missed one of your replies about having the 11300 LNB. My reply therefor is not applicable.
    The question by another member remains unanswered. Are you moving your dish from C1 to D2 to get your readings? You say the dish is fixed. You simply cannot get both Sats without moving the dish. (You can, but that's a totally different story.)

G'Day,
    You should have something like " LO 9.75 / 10.6.
    These are the Local Oscillator Frequencies of your LNB and are selected as required by switching the 22 KHz from your STB.
    When the sat signal is mixed with these in your LNB mixer, you get the sum and difference of those frequencies. In practice we are only interested in the two blocks of difference frequencies.

SAT LO(high) STB
    11.550 - 10.600 = 0.950 GHz
    12.650 - 10.600 = 2.050 GHz
    SAT LO(low) STB
    10.700 - 9.750 = 0.950 GHz
    11.800 - 9.750 = 2.050 GHz

For your STB tuning of 0.950 to 2.050 you will be able to tune Sats in two ranges from 10.700 to 12.650 GHz.
    This is taken care of automatically, if you input the correct LO frequencies in your antenna setup menu as I pointed out in my first reply.
    As earlier suggested, your lack of understanding of these principals, strongly suggests that this is your problem.
    Last edited by beer4life; 18-06-08 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Senile Dementia.

Thanks

It seems that I missed one of your replies about having the 11300 LNB. My reply therefor is not applicable.
    The question by another member remains unanswered. Are you moving your dish from C1 to D2 to get your readings? You say the dish is fixed. You simply cannot get both Sats without moving the dish. (You can, but that's a totally different story.)

G'Day,
    You should have something like " LO 9.75 / 10.6.
    These are the Local Oscillator Frequencies of your LNB and are selected as required by switching the 22 KHz from your STB.
    When the sat signal is mixed with these in your LNB mixer, you get the sum and difference of those frequencies. In practice we are only interested in the two blocks of difference frequencies.

SAT LO(high) STB
    11.550 - 10.600 = 0.950 GHz
    12.650 - 10.600 = 2.050 GHz
    SAT LO(low) STB
    10.700 - 9.750 = 0.950 GHz
    11.800 - 9.750 = 2.050 GHz

For your STB tuning of 0.950 to 2.050 you will be able to tune Sats in two ranges from 10.700 to 12.650 GHz.
    This is taken care of automatically, if you input the correct LO frequencies in your antenna setup menu as I pointed out in my first reply.
    As earlier suggested, your lack of understanding of these principals, strongly suggests that this is your problem.
    Good Day

My antenna is fixed. I have no idea how I am getting two satellite signals. If you have read my previous answer to the same query, my STB shows the quality of the frequency received from each satellite. I am getting 72% on the D2 and 92% on the C1. Also Iam getting different channels lists from each of the satellites and some freqencies overlap between the two satellites.

I bought a brand new 11300 LNB dual polarity from Ebay. It is a cheap one and has no label or markings on it. I take note of your Hi/Lo concept. I have a switch on the STB for the 22Khz it is off at the moment. I tried to keep it on but did not get any result so I switched it off. I will switch it on again and leave it on.( Though I am not sure that this is the right way )

You have guessed it right I am a newy in this game and I appreciate every bit of information in this respect. I learned a lot but still need to know a lot more .

Is there a way to check the Hi/Lo frequencies of the LNB? or I do not really have to worry about it as my STB will pick it up automatically.

Thanks again.

Thanks

Cool My confusion.

G'Day,
    First of all, don't concern yourself with what I said about universal LNBs. If you have an 11300 LNB, it is a single, not universal and you leave the 22 KHz OFF.
    Just give me a little time and I'll try and sort which sat you are on.
    You cannot receive both at the same time with your setup.
    See if you have 12367 V 27800 SR and FEC 3/4.
    That is where Al Jazeera is and is only available on C1 Free To Air.
    Also NITV, ACC and TVN.
    My guess is that if your not getting it, that you are on D2.
    If so, go to your antenna setup menu, input it for C1, try moving your dish left and right no more than 10 degrees, until you peak the signal. Tweek your elevation and Skew and then do a scan for C1 only.( Better if you can just scan that TP.) You may have to delete all channels first.
    Let me know.
    Last edited by beer4life; 19-06-08 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks

G'Day,
    First of all, don't concern yourself with what I said about universal LNBs. If you have an 11300 LNB, it is a single, not universal and you leave the 22 KHz OFF.
    Just give me a little time and I'll try and sort which sat you are on.
    You cannot receive both at the same time with your setup.
    See if you have 12367 V 27800 SR and FEC 3/4.
    That is where Al Jazeera is and is only available on C1 Free To Air.
    Also NITV, ACC and TVN.
    My guess is that if your not getting it, that you are on D2.
    If so, go to your antenna setup menu, input it for C1, try moving your dish left and right no more than 10 degrees, until you peak the signal. Tweek your elevation and Skew and then do a scan for C1 only.( Better if you can just scan that TP.) You may have to delete all channels first.
    Let me know.

I think my dish is already or predominantly set up towards the C1. This is where I am getting the highest quality over 90%.

I checked all the channels on D2. I deleted all the ones that are repeated on
    C1 . I switched to C1 and manually input the Al Jazeera English under TP 12367 Vertical and manually input the Video and the Audio PID. I did this few days back but did not work. However this time I did something extra. After I input all this data I did a manual TP scan and " Le Voila" Al Jazeera English came up.

I still do not understand why it was not picked up when I did an Auto Scan.

There is something I still do not understand in the Lyngsat list of the C1. Along the line of Al Jazeera English and under the heading SR-FEC there are digits 17012 followed by the Video and Audio PIDs . What is it ? and what does it do? The reason for asking, there are other different digits under different TPs appear in the same heading. They must have a function of some sort!

Anyway I am really pleased that I was able to sort one of the chanells I will persevere to get the rest.

To answer your question about the satellte dish. I did not move it. I left it in the same postion. I am getting predominantly the C1 at 94% today. However I am still getting other frequencies on the D2 namely the Optus info and the NITV. The rest I deleted them from the D2 list of TP frequencies.

There are other frequencies on the D2 with a reception of 15%-23% which I am not concerned about,

Thank you again. You have been of great help.

In one of your previous replies you mentioned between brackets that you can get two satellites but that is another story. I am interested what the story is
    all about?

Have a good weekend and regards

Thanks

Talking Optus C1 Austar.

G'Day,
    You certainly led us a merry chase. It would be a good idea to answer the questions asked by those trying to help you, however mundane they may appear.
    You most certainly cannot receive two sats, 4 degs. apart, on a fixed dish with a normal H/V LNB.
    What you appear to think as such, is because some of the TPs may be the same or close.
    A BAD illustration of this is 12407 V /30000 SR on C1 and D2(Optus Info) as well as 12407 H /12600 on D1 to a lesser extent. This is the main cause of your confusion.

Until you decide that you want to move your dish to another Sat, forget about doing scans on them as they are only 'red herrings'.

Methinks you should not concern yourself with getting more than one Sat on a fixed dish until you have learnt all about the basics.
    It can only be done on co-located or near so Sats.(About 12 Deg. would be the practical limit with a larger than normal dish. Would need to use special or multiple LNBs in an offset focussed configuration.)
    As I said before, that is a different kettle of fish, and not for the faint hearted.
    Perhaps " LeroyPatrol " can be persuaded to show you his setup for this.

Anyway I am really pleased that I was able to sort one of the chanells I will persevere to get the rest.

To answer your question about the satellte dish. I did not move it. I left it in the same postion. I am getting predominantly the C1 at 94% today. However I am still getting other frequencies on the D2 namely the Optus info and the NITV. The rest I deleted them from the D2 list of TP frequencies.

There are other frequencies on the D2 with a reception of 15%-23% which I am not concerned about,

Thank you again. You have been of great help.

In one of your previous replies you mentioned between brackets that you can get two satellites but that is another story. I am interested what the story is
    all about?

Thanks

G'Day,
    You certainly led us a merry chase. It would be a good idea to answer the questions asked by those trying to help you, however mundane they may appear.
    You most certainly cannot receive two sats, 4 degs. apart, on a fixed dish with a normal H/V LNB.
    What you appear to think as such, is because some of the TPs may be the same or close.
    A BAD illustration of this is 12407 V /30000 SR on C1 and D2(Optus Info) as well as 12407 H /12600 on D1 to a lesser extent. This is the main cause of your confusion.

Until you decide that you want to move your dish to another Sat, forget about doing scans on them as they are only 'red herrings'.

Methinks you should not concern yourself with getting more than one Sat on a fixed dish until you have learnt all about the basics.
    It can only be done on co-located or near so Sats.(About 12 Deg. would be the practical limit with a larger than normal dish. Would need to use special or multiple LNBs in an offset focussed configuration.)
    As I said before, that is a different kettle of fish, and not for the faint hearted.
    Perhaps " LeroyPatrol " can be persuaded to show you his setup for this.
    The more I look at it I am on C1. I have deleted all the frequencies that were double up on the D2 and I am not getting anything from it now. So I am now of the c1 only. I am getting FTA from Aljazeera English, TVN, NITV, EXPO and Foxtel Help. I am still not getting ACC what are the VPID and APID and which Frequency is it on V or H, i.e. SR FEC.

I am sorry to put you through such a trouble. It is true about the saying " Little knowledge is worse than ignorance" but this is where I am now, and I tell you something, I learned a lot and still need to know more.

Thanks again and regards

Thanks

Talking

The more I look at it I am on C1. I have deleted all the frequencies that were double up on the D2 and I am not getting anything from it now. So I am now of the c1 only. I am getting FTA from Aljazeera English, TVN, NITV, EXPO and Foxtel Help. I am still not getting ACC what are the VPID and APID and which Frequency is it on V or H, i.e. SR FEC.

I am sorry to put you through such a trouble. It is true about the saying " Little knowledge is worse than ignorance" but this is where I am now, and I tell you something, I learned a lot and still need to know more.

Thanks again and regards
    Congratulations,
    You can now spread your wings and seek all the other FTA channels, and if inclined, take out a paid subscription. ACC is same TP as the others, 12367V, It's a hot gospel channel.

Thanks

Congratulations,
    You can now spread your wings and seek all the other FTA channels, and if inclined, take out a paid subscription. ACC is same TP as the others, 12367V, It's a hot gospel channel.
    Thanks for your help. I can get the ACC on my standard set top box connected through my TV antenna. I thought it was something different.

My satellite top box scanns it but there is $ sign next to it which means it is coded and needs unscrambling. It is not FTA.

Thanks again and regards