Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garmin City Nav Sensis V Navteq

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,964 Times in 1,287 Posts

Hi all

I am going to spark up the Sensis/Navteq debate again as i had a customer come in saying that the suburb named GRACE in the ACT is not listed in her nuvi nav that has the latest map on it.

I know Grace is still been built but is over 12 months old.

I think this is strange as i have used my nuvi to get to a street in Grace the difference is my nav has Sensis hers has Navteq.

I tried switching to Navteq maps only on my nav and got the same no Grace.

If i have Sensis and Navteq on my unit and tick Navteq an untick Sensis it will still find Grace.

SS Dave

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Hi SS Dave,
    you had me stumped for a bit, couldn't find "Grace" on either Sensis or Navteq maps in MapSourse, Google Maps or Whereis.

So I did a Google, still nothing, then looked down the bottom of Google in related searches & saw Crace ACT.

Now that I have the correct spelling, using the find feature in MS for both maps I can locate "Crace" ACT.

The Sensis map has more detail of unnamed streets (guess there in the new development area) & the Navteq map has just the named streets, which is only about 50% of the detail that Sensis has.

Its interesting the find feature locates Crace ACT in MS but not on your GPS for Navteq, maybe spelling mistake
    Try putting in 5 Chance St Crace ACT.

Going back thru the Sensis maps I found all the same detail from CN 2013.20 right back to CN 2012.10. Thats where it ends, CN 2011.30 (don't have 2011.40) has no streets or suburb of Crace in that area.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Hi SS Dave,

just out of curiosity I loaded CN 2013.20 Navteq only on my Nuvi today, Searched ACT for Crace & it came up no problems, added 5 Chance st to search, got that too.
    Postcode 2913, have I got the right place
    Edit: just checked the postcode for Crace ACT & it should be 2911, so Navteq scores -1 for that.

Suspect as above your searching for Grace ACT which doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Tiny; 27-08-12 at 06:31 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,964 Times in 1,287 Posts

Hi Tiny

Ok i can not spell

I have a nuvi 2495lm here at the moment with cn aus and nz 2012.40 navteq all.

If i enter 5 Chance St it finds the street but the surbub is Nicholls ACT 2913

The same Nuvi 2495 with a card with sensis 2013.10 mapping i get 6 chance street Crace ACT 2911

If i set sensis and navteq at the same time i get 5 chance st Nicholls ACT 2911

Go figure.

SS Dave
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SS Dave For This Useful Post:

Tiny (28-08-12)

Thanks

I notice the Navteq maps shorten 'Terrace' incorrectly to 'Ter' and not 'Tce'.

Thanks

@Tiny,

Thank you for the tutorial on loading maps thats very useful

Can i just ask, you mention that you should update the JCV file but in the download from post 12 there was no JCV file and my Garmin 1390 has JCV's, any suggestion please?

EDIT - Mistyped should have been post 12

cheers
    Last edited by myf360f1; 16-09-12 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Typo should be post 12

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by myf360f1 View Post
    @Tiny,

Thank you for the tutorial on loading maps thats very useful

Can i just ask, you mention that you should update the JCV file but in the download from post 13 there was no JCV file and my Garmin 1390 has JCV's, any suggestion please?

cheers

Hi myf360f1,
    If I've got this right your referring to post 13 in this thread which is about the new sensis map below, however I see your thanks (thank you) on post 12 which has image links for an old sensis map which is actually the same as that sensis map & the sensis map below as discussed in post 14.

The latest map sets are at this time

The JCV file is included in a separate download for each mapset, usually marked as ASR,G2S,JCV & SQLITE, you need to select the file/s you want from that separate download folder after unpacking the .rar or .zip file.

Hope that clears things up.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Hi Tiny,

Sorry it was a typo, Yes I downloaded the unlocked image in post 12 but there was only a img file no associated files. I followed your link back tom pietu's thread here but the link for the JCV files is no longer working.
    Last edited by myf360f1; 16-09-12 at 12:04 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

yep your right those links have expired.
    Found this link to same file.

use this one it will work with Sensis CN AU NZ 2013.1 &/or 2013.2
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Thank you Tiny

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Thanks for that, yes I am talking the 2013 maps, damn confusing when the year we are in is 2012.

Have edited to previous post & quote thanks to you for picking up my error.
    Seems to be an American thing, probably started with cars. They use the year to denote a model, unlike in Australia where we use a two digit letter code. A 2013 model is actually a 2012 model, and there is no way of knowing whether the 2013 model is an updated 2012 model or a 2013 model, unless you actually saw it or saw its specs.

Yes it's silly, I believe it may have been because manufacturers wanted to get their new models out 'first', so for marketing, labelling a 2013 model released at the end of 2011, people think they are getting a 'newer' car than a competitors, who would have normally has a 2011 model out in 2011

Thanks

I`ve got a three garmin units now, two with lifetime updates, one of those has Sensis Maps the other with Navteq. The Sensis device did indeed update with a newer Sensis map, and the other other updated with Navteq. My opion - in the outer West / Ipswich area of Brisbane, is that the Navteq mapping is unusable. Whole areas of suburbs built in the last two years are missing and streets that I have been travelling on for the last forty years have names that I have never seen or heard of before. Things like parks and features that have been there for 50 years are just missing as well.
    I have had some problems with Sensis maps too, but hey, nothing that can compare with the errors on the Navteq maps, and since I`m a rep on the road I can`t afford navigation problems. The result, My brand new Nuvi 50 is sitting here on my computer desk.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

You can change the 50 to sensis.

Replace the map using my Tutorial
    Latest map for sensis
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Default Thank you Tiny - at last the reason why I can't see my 2013.20 maps in MapSouce

Apparently not really the latest map at all as I discovered.

Garmin are trying to scam us.
    Ever since downloading my copy of 2013.20 I have been trying to find out why the new map is not visible to MapSource. I tried installing BaseCamp but it also did not see my 2013.20 map. I raised a case with Garmin who advised me to re-install MapSource (which I have not yet done because I thought it was a bit of a fob-off and I have forgotten where I have put the CD with the install).
    I do have both 2013.10 as well as 2013.20 installed on my PC and my laptop and, as I understand you theory, if I deleted 2013.10 I would then be able to see 2013.20 (and this is because they are actually the same file duplicated).
    At this stage I don't think I will delete 2013.10 from my PCs (other post here have led me to believe that 2013.10 may be better in some ways).
    I will wait for the next true map update which should resolve this problem.
    I quite like BaseCamp, now that I have got the hang of it, and can plug my Nuvi-500 into my PC and access my 2013.20 maps in BaseCamp on my PCs from my Nuvi.
    Thanks again Tiny.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSC View Post
    At this stage I don't think I will delete 2013.10 from my PCs (other post here have led me to believe that 2013.10 may be better in some ways).
    I just deleted the 2013.10 map from my laptop and can confirm that I can now see the 2013.20 map. Thanks again Tiny.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    ...It may be the case, for me at least, that the change to NAVTEQ is not as bad as I first thought. Time will tell I guess...
    Well it's been 12 months since the switch, and while I don't like digging up old threads I've come to the opinion that for on-road mapping Sensis maps were superior to the new NAVTEQ variety.

I've found during the last 12 months that new roads/routes have appeared far quicker through Sensis that NAVTAQ, even though Sensis have only put out 2 updates and NAVTEQ have 4.

Take the M2 Motorway in Sydney - the main motorway through from the city to the north west. The road has been undergoing upgrades for the last 2 odd years, with all the new off-ramps opening late last year. These off-ramps are mapped in the 2013.4 Sensis map, but are still not available in the 2014.2 NAVTEQ maps. This is a major road - and Sensis mapped it correctly 3 updates ago! if they can't even map this road then what chance do the smaller roads have (and I've found a couple of those that are incorrect well)? I've decided to switch away from even the latest NAVTEQ data (2014.2), and I've switched back to the 2013.4 version of Sensis.

So to Garmin - bring back Sensis data you boffins!
    Last edited by peteramjet; 02-08-13 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

• The Following User Says Thank You to peteramjet For This Useful Post:

Tiny (02-08-13)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

* Minus 1 - The rural road display threshold on some [B] & most [C] roads is around 700m Zoom according to MS.
    This causes the rural [B] or [C] road you are driving on to disappear when the auto zoom on my NUVI 1490T zooms out at 90 km/h & the road is not visible until you reduce speed below 70 km/h.
    The roads I was on to day have a 100 km/h limit.
    So the roads blink on as you slow down for a corner then off again as you accelerate down the straights.
    Addendum to Post#1

Well I've been doing a bit of experimenting with my new Nuvi 2597LMT & found that the above quoted problem doesn't occur at all, as it did with my 1490T
    So it looks like when the Navteq maps are installed in a late model GPS designed for them, the map handling under Auto zoom is better & functions as expected.

Hmmm, wonder if I could clone the software onto my old 1490T without bricking it??
    Cheers, Tiny

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

In another thread I answered a question which raised more questions. So I've done some experimenting with the latest maps.
    Why? I'm curious, that's why.

The question was;
    Quote Originally Posted by billwest View Post
    Hi Tiny,

You mention that you use both the NavTeq and Sensis maps on the one device.
    If both are set to active, any idea which takes precedence?

Thanks,

Bill.
    My Answer was:
    Just set both maps to active & the Sensis map takes priority on my 2597 which is a Navteq Lifetime map based unit.
    The Sensis map is not even on the unit; it's on a micro sd card with topo maps. Go figure.

Checked both maps with GmapTool & both are set to the same draw priority of 30. So it may be a lottery as to which one gets priority or it may be based on age, the build date of the Sensis map is the latest. Not that there would be any point in having both active, however you got my curiosity running Bill.
    Now with both the latest Navteq & Sensis maps installed, Sensis being the older of the 2 by build date.
    With both my GPS & both set to active; in the following config I get these results.

Nuvi 2597LMT
    Navteq as gmapprom.img in .system folder,
    Sensis as CN AU NZ SEN 2014.20.img in SD Card:Map folder,
    Navteq gets draw priority.

Nuvi 1490T
    Sensis as gmapprom.img in .system folder,
    Navteq as CN AU NZ NAV 2014.30.img in Nuvi 1490 Device:Map folder,
    Sensis gets draw priority.

Both maps work correctly on their own of course.
    So I guess it's either a lottery or software differences that choose priority draw.

you can go to sleep now.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 573 Posts

The 2014.40 NAVTEQ maps are now out (January 2014). Have noticed they are still displaying the incorrect alphanumeric route names on NSW and ACT roads. The system was implemented in early 2013 after being announced in 2012 and Sensis updated their maps with the correct routes as of their September 2013 update (2014.20).

NAVTEQ have put out 3 updates since the Sensis maps added the corrections, and 4 updates since the routes were implemented. I understand it may take a little while for minor changes to make their way to a map, but these are major changes. If Sensis can have it done 3 updates ago then it is unacceptable that NAVTEQ can still not display the correct route names.

Edit: Just in addition, I submitted a 'map error' via the Garmin AU website when the last NAVTEQ map (2104.30) was released with the old information. I received a reply from Garmin US (not AU) advising they process all AU maps and had previously been made aware of the changed routes but they would not be implementing the changes until 'some time' in 2014. WTF?
    Last edited by peteramjet; 31-01-14 at 02:47 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteramjet View Post
    The 2014.40 NAVTEQ maps are now out (January 2014). Have noticed they are still displaying the incorrect alphanumeric route names on NSW and ACT roads. The system was implemented in early 2013 after being announced in 2012 and Sensis updated their maps with the correct routes as of their September 2013 update (2014.20).

NAVTEQ have put out 3 updates since the Sensis maps added the corrections, and 4 updates since the routes were implemented. I understand it may take a little while for minor changes to make their way to a map, but these are major changes. If Sensis can have it done 3 updates ago then it is unacceptable that NAVTEQ can still not display the correct route names.

Edit: Just in addition, I submitted a 'map error' via the Garmin AU website when the last NAVTEQ map (2104.30) was released with the old information. I received a reply from Garmin US (not AU) advising they process all AU maps and had previously been made aware of the changed routes but they would not be implementing the changes until 'some time' in 2014. WTF?
    I reckon that's because IMO they actually update the maps once a year, however they make minor changes to the files for POI's within the map 4 times a year. Thus giving the new map guarantee some credibility.
    Cheers, Tiny

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast