Thread: USTVNOW and Nation Phone

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default USTVNOW and Nation Phone

Unfortunately both were disappointing.

Firstly,

It was as simple as signing up for a free account that gives you the basic US FTA channels (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS). Then add the private channel code to your Roku account or watch my internet browser.

The picture quality is average (worst then SD) and all channels are in 4:3 which is a big waste of space on a 60 inch TV. You can buy a subscription and receive others such as History, AETV and other popular pay channels but the quality is the same on all channels.

Very disappointing, as I dont mind paying for quality. But there isnt a quality picture. But you only have to pay a few bucks for a trial, so its great to be able to test these type of services without major financial commitment. I will now let my account default back to free and will still get the US FTA services which is hard to complain about.

Edit: Looking at ABC now, I wouldnt say its worst than SD , I would call it SD. But the 4:3 is a killer.

This service really has potential if they can improve the picture quality and extend it to 16:9.....will be keeping an eye on it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

pheggie (12-07-12),weirdo (11-07-12)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I noticed a link for a more "premium service" and came across Nation Phone. They advertise "watch US TV in any country". Its quite an expensive service, but works in a different way.

When you subscribe, they purchase a US cable subscription and install the cable box in their data centre. It is connected to a Slingbox , and you can access the service via your PC, or, in my case, via Sling Player which is a recent addition to the menu on my WD Live TV receiver. Luckily, there was a low cost testing option which I think was $6 USD for 24 hours. Not cheap, but consider what they have to do to set it up.

Unfortunately, I can only describe my experience as woefull. The quality was worse than USTVNOW and no matter what changes I made to resultion, quality etc I couldnt get a picture I would be happy watching. Its a pity, as having full control over a US cable box (and its menus etc) was great and I had high expectations.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with a fast connection who has a WD Live box and would like to give it a try. I can only presume my connection isnt up to it, though I have no problems with Netflix and Hulu , and even HD movies from VUDU.

But its all fun to test, this is the way of the future and when the NBN does eventually get rolled out Foxtel will be slaughtered.

If you have broadband and want something interesting to do, go out and buy a WD Live receiver, they are only about $120 and open a whole new world of entertainment.