Thread: Uni Fees

Thanks

Default Uni Fees

this is not about me, but a friend of mine has been to Uni a couple of times and for at least 5 or 6 years.
    he is a known leacher and will never pay for anything unless he cant get out of it.
    this guy deliberately told gov housing he was homeless [even though he wasnt] so he could get fast tracked into a housing commission house [he has kids a few days a fortnight. he basically owns barely anything that hasnt been given to him by friends.
    thats the background anyway so you know the kind of guy we are talking about.
    what im wondering is when people finish Uni and go out and get there job or whatever and the time comes to pay back your Uni fees, are there any easy ways to get out of paying them?
    i would expect his ex to try to take money from him if he gets a job, and his cheap housing commission house rent will go up appropriately as well.
    im just wondering because if there is he will find it.
    also, if he realizes he has to pay maintenance, higher rent & uni fees he will probably just go back to Uni for something else.
    ...In Somnis Veritas...

Look Here ->
    Thanks

the payback for hecs and fees is achieved when you start earning a certain amount, it is taken out as a 2% tax these days I believe similar to the medicare levy. Unless he earns less he cannot get out of it. it does no matter what he is paying out on other things or even salary sacrifice, once it hits a certain gross that is it, it must be paid back. unless he loses his job or changes for a lower grossing job there is not much you can do. I do believe there is a special circumstances clause, but this temporary only.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,058 Posts

I believe the threshold is about $50,000.
    Keep your income under that and you never pay a cent.

Thanks

Another "out" is to move overseas. If you don't pay tax in Australia, you don't pay HECS.

Thanks

The threshold has been increased over the last 5 years up to just under $50k, this includes your super contributions also.

Interest is charged on the HECS debt annually also, I am glad I've paid mine off