Thread: Ipod 160 classic problem.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Default Ipod 160 classic problem.

Hi,

I have been googling / youtubing for a couple of hours, and thought I would ask a question at my helpful site.

My daughter has had an ipod for ages, out of warranty.

It started to play up when adding songs..freezing.

It seems sometimes later, she made an error in disconnecting from the pc. She had transferred her songs, shut down the pc, but not unsynched the data cable. Apparantly ( I don't have itunes) you are supposed to unsynch first.

She went to use it, and it showed no songs or anything.

She says it now just loads up to the apple logo and thats it.

If she connects the data cable to the pc, it doesn't recognize it, and it won't format. Sometimes it just comes up with the circle and diagonal line logo.

I have read lots on youtube etc about doing the hard boot and then banging the back of the ipod, to checking her drive information via C/Windows/System 32/drivers/etc to see if the itunes folder is not corrupt.

Any other info I could pass to her anyone?

Thanks

Look Here ->
    2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

put your ear to it and if it keeps making a clicking noise over and over your hd is stuffed.

Also there are master resets you can do, I think by memory its the play and middle button for 10 secs

Banned
    Thanks

thanks hughdman..

Saw that tip in my long googling session.

I have to get it off her this week and play with it, and report what I can see

Ta

She added that she had been to the online help zone and all the master resets did not do nothing either.
    The most common and brutal fix appeared to be a reset follwed by a drop or 3 or so large bashes to the rear of the unit.
    I guess this resets the arm on the drive...or breaks the screen if 'ur too brutal!
    Last edited by viewer; 22-07-12 at 04:59 PM. Reason: last

Banned
    Thanks

I have been playing (grr..not the right words) with this for 4 hours and got no where.

I have put it in diagnostic mode and everything reports as fine, but it still defaults to the black circle with a diagonal line in it, like the no smoking sign, saying do not disconnect. At one stage it tried to synch to format the drive through itunes, but it just went around in circles, not actually doing anything.

That time , the only time mind you that it connected, it gave the error as 1439

At one time I thought I was in luck, as all of a sudden the drive started to really jig along as if it was going to boot, but again it just wouldn't be found in itunes

I have googled around for ages, tried the resets, put it in disk mode etc, but all to no avail.

My pc finds it as a F drive, showing it with an ipod icon, although windows keeps insisting it wants to format it for some reason.

I can here the gentle sound of the drive (hum) when it is up to my ear, but there is no clicking to indicate a drive problem at all.

This is looking too hard for this mere mortal to overcome.

Still looking for any clues if anyone can offer them up

Thanks

Banned
    Thanks

Found this on youtube..same problem, but now can't get itunes to even recognize the ipod