Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Newbie C-Band satellite install & Setup help.

Thanks

I'm ready to start ordering the dish and mounting hardware, think I will order from Joysat, just got a quote from them for a motorized heavy duty dish and mounts, cables, pretty much everything I need except for the pole, I'll need to get that locally.

A quote will be emailed to me tomorrow.

I'm going to have to get someone in for me to set this up, looks a bit to complicated. I read that it's very important to get a perfect straight line with the pole.

I was hoping to do this all myself, but I don't understand the actuator and how to set that up. Have not been able to find anyone in Bundaberg that can do all this. Anyone here from Bundy interested in setting this up for me?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink C-Band Dish Tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsart View Post
    I'm ready to start ordering the dish and mounting hardware, think I will order from Joysat, just got a quote from them for a motorized heavy duty dish and mounts, cables, pretty much everything I need except for the pole, I'll need to get that locally.

A quote will be emailed to me tomorrow.

I'm going to have to get someone in for me to set this up, looks a bit to complicated. I read that it's very important to get a perfect straight line with the pole.

I was hoping to do this all myself, but I don't understand the actuator and how to set that up. Have not been able to find anyone in Bundaberg that can do all this. Anyone here from Bundy interested in setting this up for me?
    G'Day Cobber.

Have a look at this Tutorial, you should be able to DIY if necessary.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

• The Following User Says Thank You to beer4life For This Useful Post:

phillipsart (04-08-12)

Thanks

I'll need to look for another source for my motorized c band dish, My source have not come through.

I called them a couple days ago for a quote. Got a quote over the phone, told them I want it itemized with all components and emailed to me,
    As soon I mentioned the itemized quote, I got the impression something was strange, told me he will send the quote through the following day, well that was two days ago.

Anyone reccomend a good providor? Will need to send to QLD. I want good reliable gear and will need to be heavy duty.
    Last edited by phillipsart; 04-08-12 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Spelling

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

In fairness, most satellite suppliers sell 'kits' and the price quoted was probably for a kit, especially if you require everything except the pole, which most sat dealers don't sell anyway.

Kit pricing is usually cheaper than buying items individually.

Buying individual items is usually only beneficial if you already have some of the components you need, or if you want something different to what's normally included in a kit.

Idividual item pricing is usually shown on suppliers websites, so you could check details yourself.

You could give Satplus a call and see if they can help you. (they freight anywhere).

They also sell a C-Band 'kit' but you can buy individual items.

Check their website for individual item pricing.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I would also check Kristal Electronics' website at , who are located in Queensland.

I have bought many satellite receivers and LNB's from them in the past and found their service to be very reliable.

They sell a very comprehensive range of satellite equipment and will ship anywhere.

Thanks

I'm looking at purchasing a Strong 2.3 dish.

Thanks

I've found supplier of the Strong satellite dish, etc. should have them here within the week. It's all happening, I'm going to try to do as much of the setting up as I can, so I'm going to ask lots of questions. I've been doing a lot of reading, but there's a few things I don't understand.

Thanks

Tommorrow I'm going to start looking for a pole. I've been told I should take the pole all the way to the ground and use another bracket on the ground.

I'm not sure if I should take the pole all the way down to the ground or take it to a metre of the ground. I will use 3 brackets holding the pole to the Besser brick wall and taking the pole through the roofs eaves and tin roof.
    I've also been told by local so called installers that this will not work that I must cement the pole into ground. This will not work for me, my only option is to clamp the pole to my house.
    I realize how important this is to get correct with being plumb, so I'm going to get a builder in to do this for me.

Does the Ultraplus X-9200 support DiSEqC 1.2?
    Last edited by phillipsart; 07-08-12 at 10:00 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks

If you have a concrete slab/path/pad, take the pole to the ground and bolt it there as well, as Besser brick is not very strong, compared to clay bricks for securing a pole with a C-Band dish.

Taking a pole to the ground transfers all of the weight to the ground and the additional wall brackets just stop it from turning.

You don't need to concrete it into the ground...... only if it was a free-standing installation (Eg: not clamped to a wall).

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

phillipsart (07-08-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Does the Ultraplus X-9200 support DiSEqC 1.2?
    Sure does. I've used my 9200 with my VBoxII to drive my C Band actuator.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

$88.00 for a 3 inch galvanized pole at a 2nd hand scrap yard. That is for a 6 Metre length, and they will cut to measure.

Think I'll need 1.7 metres above the roof line to allow enough room for the dish, does this sound correct?

Banned
    Thanks

I think you would be far better of getting some one to do it for you as you can't seem to make up your mind with all that good advice that's been given here.

Thanks

Here where I live, there's not much a chance to find anyone that can do this, I've found one guy that set one up 3 years ago, said he will call back, I think his no good, he tried to tell me my Ultraplus X-9200 was not suitable and wanted me to purchase a strong version for more than what I paid for the Ultraplus. And told me I'll need to purchase brackets of him to bolt the satellite dish onto the pole, I'm under the impression that these brackets are included with the dish. His talking 1000.00 + and this is after I provide most of the gear such as sat etc.

Your comment implies that I'm not listening to advice given here, which is not true. I'm listening taking in all advice, I just want to confirm the length of pole before I start cutting it. Hence why I asked on the length above roof line.
    Last edited by phillipsart; 08-08-12 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks

I think once I seen one of these setups, I reckon I can work it out. I've never seen a sat c band setup let alone one that's motorized.

To many con artists where I live here, for example the one I mentioned in my post above. It's obvious his after a quick buck, he also tried to talk me into a fixed dish setup, I think this is because he never done a motorized dish before, another quote I got from someone I know can set them up as he has a business 200km away, but he wants to supply all gear and setup for 1700.00 and that's for a fixed dish. At those prices I will not setup a c band.

So, I'm going to source and purchase the items needed and do as much as I can without getting someone in, I just don't have 1700 spare, even if I did, I would not spend that much on a fixed dish installation. To expensive up here.

I'd hate to cut a pole get it fitted and find its to short, I always double check, just something I've learnt in life.

The challenge begins. . I'm always up for a challenge.

Administrator
    Thanks

$88.00 for a 3 inch galvanized pole at a 2nd hand scrap yard. That is for a 6 Metre length, and they will cut to measure.

Think I'll need 1.7 metres above the roof line to allow enough room for the dish, does this sound correct?
    You have to allow for the pitch of the roof, the angle of the dish as it moves across and up/down and the jack (motor) projecting out of the back of the pole.

All those things will vary depending on your roof and where your pole mounting position is located and the directions the dish will travel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    G'Day Cobber.

Have a look at this Tutorial, you should be able to DIY if necessary.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Following the instructions from the link posted, my latitude of 24 is not listed in the list for obtaining the elevation and declination. How do I find out these settings?

Thanks

Went for a drive to Brisbane to pick up my satellite gear today, visited an old friend just down the road from where I purchased the sat gear from, to find our friends has a c-band sat setup in there back yard, it was a fixed dish installation. I'm attempting a motorized dish install, but I did pick up a view pointers by looking at his dish setup. One thing in particular I noticed was the pole used in the install was not as rigid as I thought it had to be, just touching the pole the dish was moving and shaking. I asked if during strong winds if they loose signal, she informed me at no stage have they ever lost signal, in 3 years never failed.

The dish was mounted on a 3 inch pole cemented into the ground, the pole was apx 3.5 metres above ground and from what I could see a small cement base was used.

I thought these sat dishes had to be rigid to work. This dish was moving considerably when touched.

Someone told me you only have to be a mm out and you'll miss the satellite by a km. If your out a mm it will not work, so why was i able to move this dish at least 3 to 5cm side to side and the signal never dropped out.?
    Last edited by phillipsart; 15-08-12 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

I always used thick walled Gal pipe.

I rigidity was a issue, pour concrete into the pipe.

The less it moves the better the chance you wont lose signal in high winds....

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I actually had my c band dish on theback of my colorbond garage so look at the end of the day the dish can move with the wind but it would always spring back to it's original position.
    But in saying that, the pole was plumb to begin with.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    I always used thick walled Gal pipe.

I rigidity was a issue, pour concrete into the pipe.

The less it moves the better the chance you wont lose signal in high winds....
    Going to purchase a galvanized pole tommorrow.
    I've found a 6.5metre length for $88.00
    It's internal diameter is 69.7mm
    Outside diameter is 76.1mm

They will cut to length for free.

• Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast