Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Newbie C-Band satellite install & Setup help.

Thanks

Default Newbie C-Band satellite install & Setup help.

Hi, my name is Phillip. I'm new to all this, so I have a lot to learn and I want to setup a Motorised C-Band Dish, Most important to me is to pick up the Rai Italy channel on the Asiasat 5 satellite.

I've done some reading for the past week on this forum, so I have a better understanding now, but still confused in a few area's. I'm going to try to setup what I can on my own.

I've purchased a UltraPlus X-9200 from Leroy last week, with a Terrestrial Tuner in one of the twin tuner slots. I've got my Austar Card in the PVR now. All is working, most of the time, I'm having some scramble issues at times. But that's another story, I'll get back to that latter. Right now, I want to concentrate on setting up a Dish, Have not purchased any of the Sat dishes or parts needed thus far, I'm not sure what to purchase, So some advice there would be greatly appreciated. At this stage I'm looking at one of the Dishes from Joysat in Brisbane, as I live at Bundaberg in QLD.

I'm not sure how where to put the Sat Dish, I've got some neighbours trees that are a bit of an issue for me in regards to the Asiasat 5 satellite.
    I've purchased a App for my Android Phone that show's where the Sats are, I've included some images below of the trees in question. The image you see here is from ground level, so I would imagine from up higher it should be a lot clearer. I read a forum post last night on someone suggesting to bolt the pole onto the side of the house going through the eaves and roof. I think this would be the perfect solution for me.

I've included a few images below to show where I'm looking at installing the Pole.
    The wall is 3 metres high from ground level and apx 30cm between eaves and top of roof. I have apx 3.3m from ground level to to roof. How many metres extra in the pole I'll need to fit a 2.3m mesh dish?

Last edited by phillipsart; 02-08-12 at 12:54 PM.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

What images

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toyboy11 View Post
    What images
    Sorry about that. Images should be uploaded now.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

Looking at the pics, the trees will be a problem, especially when they move around in the wind.

You'd need the dish mounted as far away from the trees as possible and as high as possible.

Even the slightest blockage to the signal path will greatly interfere with reception.

Thanks

I could move further to the middle of the house, where that high peak is, but that means a longer pole is required. If I do that, I should have a lot clearer line of sight to the sat.

I'll go outside with my App and see if I can get a clearer view from the high point. I might get my ladder out and do this on the roof. Will upload the image in the next half hour to an hour.

Administrator
    Thanks

Mounting location may need to be at the opposite side or end of the house and may need to be some height above the roof, which may mean mounting it on the roof itself or into the ceiling.

Those apps are a very rough guide only and remember, they only show the centre line.

The dish needs a clear path wider than the dish itself.

Thanks

Ok, I've jumped up onto the roof and taken a couple images with that app on my Phone. I don't know how accurate these phones are with there compass. First image below was not long after I got onto the roof, the 2nd image is taken a while later, So which is true I don't know, I've calibrated the compass on both occasions.

The question is, Will I be able to pick up the AsiaSat 5 satellite with either one of these images shown?

Administrator
    Thanks

Impossible to say with any certainty.

An inclinometer (angle meter) set up and viewed from prospective mounting positions is more accurate than phone apps.

You also need to take into consideration that the trees may continue to grow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Mounting location may need to be at the opposite side or end of the house and may need to be some height above the roof, which may mean mounting it on the roof itself or into the ceiling.

Those apps are a very rough guide only and remember, they only show the centre line.

The dish needs a clear path wider than the dish itself.
    Actually, why didn't I think of that. What if I go on the right hand side as shown in image, there is a garden shed there, but I can get behind that. That will get me a further two or 3 metres away from those trees to the left.

Thanks

One more image from ground level at the far corner of house behind that garden shed shown in the image above, this is the furthest I can get away from the trees. The sat will be apx 3 or 4m higher than what's shown in this image below. I had no idea that such a large clear area is required.

Banned
    Thanks

Bit hard to orientate your situation, have you tried might just give a different outlook especially the line of site. What sat is the other dish pointed at

Thanks

Bit hard to orientate your situation, have you tried might just give a different outlook especially the line of site. What sat is the other dish pointed at
    It's pointing at Optus C1 I think they call it. It's for Austar.

I'll take a look at that link now. Thanks.

Thanks

This is interesting. If I install at the shown location in this image the direct line of sight to the satellite is not in line with those large palm trees I have circled in red in the image below.

This should work? I think it's my only hope.

Banned
    Thanks

Yeah it looks like those trees are in the way, did you move the pointer around on you roof to see if you can get a clear line.It looks like to me that the best place for your dish would be at the front left hand corner of you home, but that may not look so good.
    Last edited by toyboy11; 02-08-12 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks

Yeah it looks like those trees are in the way, did you move the pointer around on you roof to see if you can get a clear line.It looks like to me that the best place for your dish would be at the front right hand corner of you home, but that may not look so good.
    You think it will not work with the location shown in the Image above?

This is all new to me, Was not aware I needed such a large clear area in the sky. I don't think I can install the dish anywhere else bar the spot shown in the aerial image shown. At the Front corner of house opposite to where I have the pointer shown for the dish location is directly in line with the palm trees.

I'd hate to purchase all the gear and find it don't work. Not sure if I should go ahead with this now. It don't worry me what it looks like. Would have been nice to have the dish at the back of house, but there's no chance for that with those palm trees in the neighbours yard. Everyone will see the dish as they drive past, but that don't worry me. As long it works is the main thing.
    Last edited by phillipsart; 02-08-12 at 02:58 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Sorry but I edited that from right to left as you've shown

Thanks

I think it's the best location, will be in view from front, but that don't worry me. I just hope the palm trees will not be an issue, I guess there's one way to find out.

I've decided that will be the spot I'm going to erect the pole.

Now I believe I need a 3 inch diameter galvanised pole. Do I need to have that pole go all the way to the ground? Can I take it about a metre of the ground?

How many metres above the roof line will I need?

Banned
    Thanks

A mt of the ground should be OK and as for above the roof line if your dish is say 2.4mt then halve that plus about 300mm for roof pitch clearances E.G 1.2mt plus .300= 1.5mt.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

A mt of the ground should be OK and as for above the roof line if your dish is say 2.4mt then halve that plus about 300mm for roof pitch clearances E.G 1.2mt plus .300= 1.5mt.

Hope this helps.
    Yes it does help, thanks toyboy11.

I work out I'll need apx 3.5mt

Does it matter having a TV antenna and PayTV sat nearby?

In the following image this is where the Sat will be mounted. as you can see there are two antenna's in front of it. Will they effect the C-Band Sat?

Distance from C-Band to the antenna and paytv dish is apx 2.5mt
    Maybe I need to go a bit higher above roof line.

Banned
    Thanks

No I don't think that they should worry you much.

• Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast