Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP !!!! Dish Install for SelecTV

Thanks

Default HELP !!!! Dish Install for SelecTV

Hi all, newbie here so please be gentle. I just installed a Ku Dish for SelecTV but for some strange reason I have 60% Signal Strength but 0% Quality. Obviously the decoder doesn't pick up either any TV or Radio channels. ANY IDEAS??? I have checked all the leads and connections and they seem to be ok. I'm lost and would appreciate knowing what is wrong....

Look Here ->
    Thanks

You are most likely not pointing the dish directly to Pas 8. With satellite, even a degree out on dish angle can mean you lose picture. What is your location?

Thanks

Hi there, I am in Adelaide. What I found strange was if that was the case why would I be receiving 60% signal strength and wouldn't that be enough to pick up the channels? Could it be anything else? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!!!!!

Thanks

Its not the strength that matters, its the signal quality. You could have the dish pointed just about anywhere and you would register a signal reading.

A couple of things to rule out first- What type of LNB do you have - is it a universal, 11300 or 10700? Are your antenna settings in the box reflecting this? Secondly, on the manual settings page (OR EQUIVALENT), have you entered in a valid frequency, SR, FEC etc.

If that is all good your dish needs to be pointing at an azimuth of 42 deg and elevation ~40 deg. You may need to move the dish backward/forward, up/down in this general direction until you register quality on your stb.

Can you confirm your lnb/stb settings so far?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JK200SX View Post
    Its not the strength that matters, its the signal quality. You could have the dish pointed just about anywhere and you would register a signal reading.

A couple of things to rule out first- What type of LNB do you have - is it a universal, 11300 or 10700? Are your antenna settings in the box reflecting this? Secondly, on the manual settings page (OR EQUIVALENT), have you entered in a valid frequency, SR, FEC etc.

If that is all good your dish needs to be pointing at an azimuth of 42 deg and elevation ~40 deg. You may need to move the dish backward/forward, up/down in this general direction until you register quality on your stb.

Can you confirm your lnb/stb settings so far?
    OK Got it...

I will check the LNB settings in the STB. What about the connections. Do you know of any good images on the web on how to terminate RG6 correctly witht the F-connectors? The LNB is a Space Dual Polarity Single LNB 11.3GHz. UP on the roof tomorrow. Will try your advice and advice accordingly. thanks.

Thanks

If your getting 60% strength, I wouldn't be to concerned about the connectors at the moment, unless your cable run was extremily long. If your cable was shorted then you wouldn't register anything on the meters.

The best thing to do is to take a portable telly outside with you in a location that you can see it from the roof - you may need to take the stb out depending on the amount of cable you have. That way, as you move the dish around you can watch the signal meters in real time.

When you are up on the roof, can you see any neighbouring foxtel dishes. As a rule of thumb, when you are sitting/sranding behind your dish, the dish will be pointing a little bit lower than one set for foxtel (C1) and a little to the right.

The other thing you may want to consider doing is set the stb for 12407V, 30000, 2/3 - this is a common transponder on both C1 and B3, and should be fairly easy to find in the sky. Once you establish this, mark the pole/dish with a texta, and use as a datum to help locate PAS8.

Failing this you may want to call a sat installer to peak your dish

Thanks

Thanks JK200SX, I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I am trying to do this on my own as I would like to understand sat dish installs better. In my limited experience I would have to say it is either a dish positioning or a STB setting issue. Tomorrow I will give it a go - thanks once again!!!

Thanks

Hi Ozetek!
    do you know that "Select Tv" is a Pay Transmission??? its coded.
    If you paid for same ,than They should come out and set up your dish.
    On the other hand if you have some friend who subscribes to Select TV ,
    Measure the dish angle of his dish and set yours the same angle,than its only a matter of turning your dish from rigth to left BUT VERY SLOWLY and stopping each movement for a second or two,to alow the receiver to show the proper signal strength and Quality. Quality is what you want as signal strength could show ANY noise that is around your required frequency.hope this wil help.Good luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by walik View Post
    Hi Ozetek!
    do you know that "Select Tv" is a Pay Transmission??? its coded.
    If you paid for same ,than They should come out and set up your dish.
    !
    Unlike Fox, Select do not do your installation unless you request it (and pay more)!

Thanks

and theskew for intelsat8 is very different from the skew of the optus satellites. so if the dish is an old fox, or austar one, then the thing in the end of the dish, the LNB, will need to be skewedd at least roughly to where Intelsat 8's skew is for adelaide. once you have the signal quality, you can then move your dish in very small increments left, right, up, and down, to get the maximum wuality reading, then, once that is locked in, you can then twist the LNB slowly, not standing in front of the dish, to acheive maximum signal wuality reading. hope this helps.

Thanks

Thanks to JK2 and BigMic and Walik:

To date I have been on the roof 4 times and nothing yet. In fact I think I have gone backwards. Went out and paid $49 for a compass and now totally confused. Ok. SelecTV is on IS8(PAS8) bird which is 166E. I have a dish pointed professionally to the Optus C1 and I know that is at 156E. Now this is where I am confused, the compass co-ords for 166E is nowhere near the C1 !!!! So obviously I have no idea and I am doing something wrong. Im in Adelaide and am just about to give up and call for help .... any observations, advice or laughs are welcome....

Thanks

the 166 E is it's position over the earth above the equator, not it's position on a compass. if the dish is on 156 E, it needs to move 10 degrees E to see PAS8, @ 166 E.

Thanks

Thumbs up It's all in here . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ozetek View Post
    What about the connections. Do you know of any good images on the web on how to terminate RG6 correctly witht the F-connectors? . .
    Enjoy reading this ;

Search again in here Austech in a few more weeks
    (if the site is able to get fully restored again to it's former glory),
    as there may be a tutorial on this topic available ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big mick000 View Post
    the 166 E is it's position over the earth above the equator, not it's position on a compass. if the dish is on 156 E, it needs to move 10 degrees E to see PAS8, @ 166 E.
    Oh ok, that is something else again... here are a few Q's if you can assist:

1. What is the compass position for the PAS8?
    2. How do I find out the elevation for this bird in Adelaide or any other location?
    3. Do I have to turn the LNB? Is this the skew?

Thanks to all for your advice ... I think I am slowly understanding!!

vyking

pm sent

Thanks

ozetech, JK200SX is giving you good advice, you won't do it 'blind' you need to be able to see what the signal is doing while you are moving the dish etc, as others have said a few degrees is all it takes.

So from where a C1 dish is pointing, as you look at your dish from behind, go to the right, have the dish set down a bit from the C1 dish, if you see a difference in the signal, find the stongest place, no diffence in signal move back come down a little move and repeat, (smaller movements now) then try up and down a little, again get it to the higest point, then last thing, move the LNB around a little bit at a time, remember you have to get back behind the dish to see if the signal has improved, if your in front your body will be blocking the signal.

Thanks

have a look at this diagram..it will show you where the sats are and what elevation etc is required....

can't remember where I got it from, but print it out, it can act as a template.

Thanks

This may be a bit better....

on the left is roughly your vertical tilt....depending on where you are of course.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozetek View Post
    Oh ok, that is something else again... here are a few Q's if you can assist:

1. What is the compass position for the PAS8?
    2. How do I find out the elevation for this bird in Adelaide or any other location?
    3. Do I have to turn the LNB? Is this the skew?

Thanks to all for your advice ... I think I am slowly understanding!!
    Give this site a go for the settings you require to suite your actual spot on the globe

Thanks

Sorry, also another site I like for pointing info

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast