Thread: Shatter Points

Thanks

Default Shatter Points

Does any know of any alternatives to shatter points, I mean there are multiple types of PIR's.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Few questions with that...

What issues are you having that need an alternative?

To do what job - perimeter detection i.e. alarm going off before burgular climbs into house/premises?

I have seen folks use E-Sheild beams on the outside of the windows... Dual tech PIR still have to be in the room and moving around to trip it... burgulary has progress alot further at this point...

I was taught this game by a firm believer in the reed switch & glass break etc to try and get the alarm to go off as they break in - some chance they will take off at that point - and also as a bonus can stay arm. Fantastic idea in my opinion.

Thanks

I have no issue with the shatterpoint. I was only asking as several manufacturers make pir's, reed switches, glass break sensors. And yet only one that I know of makes a combined sensor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xr5adam View Post
    I have no issue with the shatterpoint. I was only asking as several manufacturers make pir's, reed switches, glass break sensors. And yet only one that I know of makes a combined sensor.
    There are plenty of alternatives so far as shock/reed combos go, but none so far that I've see that are shock/reed/break glass such as the shatter point.

I've never had any issues with them and for the sheer number of installed (thousands without exageration), I've replaced very few.

Thanks

I'm not familiar with the Sentrol(?) shatterpoint. I can see the merits of such a device on a display case or a single shopfront window. For a typical home/office window detection system wouldn't it be easier and perhaps cheaper to have one robust glass break detector with a detection radius covering a number of windows, with separate (smaller, prettier) reeds as required, rather than a multitude of glassbreak/reed/shock etc. per individual window?
    Last edited by downunderdan; 10-08-12 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Sentrol(?) shatterpoint. I can see the merits of such a device on a display case or a single shopfront window. For a typical home/office window detection system wouldn't it be easier and perhaps cheaper to have one robust glass break detector with a detection radius covering a number of windows, with separate (smaller, prettier) reeds as required, rather than a multitude of glassbreak/reed/shock etc. per individual window?
    In situations where there are few or no window coverings then yes. But for people that like living in the dark, not really. Heavy drapes are not condusive to adequate functioning of glass breaks.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

downunderdan (10-08-12),pca15 (11-08-12),secure (10-08-12)

Thanks

Bring back the foil and term blocks

Thanks

I have been replying on my phone so has not been easy.

My point is;

PIR's probably developed by one company yet many make them now, Reed switches, almost all suppliers have a type.

Shock sensors, many different types, even ness have there own one, ademco have a different approach also.

Yet only one manufacturer really has a 3 in one design. I would of though that someone else had something similar,

Thanks

I prefer the shatterpoints. You can also get shock sensors with built in reed switches.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by secure View Post
    I prefer the shatterpoints. You can also get shock sensors with built in reed switches.
    I live in Armadale the place that sells them is in Balcatta,

It is a long way to drive for shatterpoints. However for my own house I am considering going all out coz I can get them at wholesale, and then use a M1