Thread: DAB+ Radio Recommendation

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Default DAB+ Radio Recommendation

G'day all,

I'm in the market for a portable DAB+ radio and would appreciate any feedback from members who have one. Prepared to pay up to $300. Features I'm after are a rotary volume control (I hate up/down buttons), large display, at least 15 presets, and most importantly at least a 4 inch speaker with acceptable sound quality.

Thanks in advance
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

I had trouble finding one with an am tuner which was on my feature list. When you want a couple of features the range really shrinks.
    This ticks next to none of your boxes but is was cheap ($60) from the good guys. Just called a Laser, 3 1/2 inch speaker, am/fm/dab+. Only 10 presets and volume buttons but they are raised nicely out the front of the unit and easy to use.
    A great unit to take out to picnics, parks, sport etc but not a party unit.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

TVguy (15-08-12)

Thanks

This one is an excellent radio with a good sound and is within your budget

Flow/Portable Digital, FM and Internet Radio

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patella80 For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (19-08-12),tristen (19-08-12),TVguy (19-08-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Thank You
    That ilounge site is awesome.
    Android and Iphone Apps, seems almost a better alternative to TuneIn Radio.
    Some really nice DAB+/Iphone dock/WiFi radios too!!!
    I have seen the small little DAB+/Fm Transmitter unit in a car before...
    Didn't realise they made so much more and had a great site to go hand in hand with gear.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Thank You
    That ilounge site is awesome.
    Android and Iphone Apps, seems almost a better alternative to TuneIn Radio.
    Some really nice DAB+/Iphone dock/WiFi radios too!!!
    I have seen the small little DAB+/Fm Transmitter unit in a car before...
    Didn't realise they made so much more and had a great site to go hand in hand with gear.
    you can do all that and use a small bluetooth receiver plugged via rca to the home stereo also, cheap easy not portable as TVguy wanted but still cheap and easy

When I explained to the guy what avatar I wanted, that wasn't what I meant!

Thanks

sorry to dig up and old thread, but thought better than starting a new one for the same question.

what are peoples thoughts on both the bush and audiosonic models ? looking at the kmart audiosonic for ~$49, and the bush one for ~$55 or the bush DAB+ alarm clock for ~$77

i dont just want to run out and buy one, and end up having to return it due it issues or poor quality, reviews online on these product review sites are too mixed, and when you look at reviews on sites like DSE, officeworks and so on, they contradict some of the reviews on the product review sites.

or if anyone has a different suggestion on a model, prefer max of about $70 and 2-3 line display.

thanks in advance
    If i have helped you in anyway, dont forget to hit the Thanks button
    “If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.”

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Depends on your location, as signals vary.

I always recommend a model which has provision for an external coax-connected antenna.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

motorolavkg (11-03-16)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Depends on your location, as signals vary.

I always recommend a model which has provision for an external coax-connected antenna.
    Thanks Mtv, am located in Adelaide about 12km from cbd
    “If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.”

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorolavkg View Post
    Thanks Mtv, am located in Adelaide about 12km from cbd
    There's a lot of variables.

Preferably, try and listen to various models with the functions you like, as audio quality/speakers vary considerably.

Not easy I know, as most stores don't have them operating to demo.

Adelaide generally speaking has good DAB+ coverage. An indicative test is how well Ch9 TV is received on an indoor antenna, if you intend to use the radio with an inbuilt antenna.

It's not an accurate comparison, but if you get crap TV reception with an indoor antenna, a DAB+ receiver is likely to have poor reception with an inbuilt antenna as well.

A split off an existing VHF TV antenna can help, but they are horizontally polarised and DAB+ uses vertical polarisation, so a dedicated DAB+ external antenna performs best.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

motorolavkg (12-03-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Silly to ask but will Digital Radio coverage ever be increased or like Stereo AM Radio and 3D TV just another 'Great Idea of the Time' that is quietly withing away on the Vine?
    By 'increased' I mean the Metropolitan areas let alone Regional ones.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

A lot of new cars coming out with DAB tuners so I'd guess they're betting on it to hang around

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by motorolavkg View Post
    sorry to dig up and old thread, but thought better than starting a new one for the same question.

what are peoples thoughts on both the bush and audiosonic models ? looking at the kmart audiosonic for ~$49, and the bush one for ~$55 or the bush DAB+ alarm clock for ~$77

i dont just want to run out and buy one, and end up having to return it due it issues or poor quality, reviews online on these product review sites are too mixed, and when you look at reviews on sites like DSE, officeworks and so on, they contradict some of the reviews on the product review sites.

or if anyone has a different suggestion on a model, prefer max of about $70 and 2-3 line display.

thanks in advance
    Memories of queries past. After much procrastination, I found that no small form factor/portable device met my needs, so I stuck with my Sangean PR-D3L for portable use.
    What I did buy was the Redback A2698, full component width DAB+ FM Digital Tuner from Altronics. It has a dedicated "F Connector" RF input, 10 + 10 presets, remote control, optical/line level outputs and LC display.
    It has been bulletproof so far and the Faraday cage that is my workshop has little impact as I have connected directly to my MATV system. Flawless reception for almost three years.
    My only gripe about DAB+ is the staggering bad audio level difference between stations. I mainly listen to the ABC and various commercial talk stations and have to constantly adjust the volume level.
    AM stations obviously apply dynamic range compression before transmitting but I think the DAB+ stream goes out unaltered.
    It is clearly obvious when a caller is using a mobile phone as it is almost inaudible (I can pick a land line in a millisecond). The differing bitrates of each service makes a huge difference to volume levels and quality.
    I've no longer even countenanced the thought of a portable DAB+ receiver due to empirical observation of many of my customers that have made the acquisition. Industrial scale battery consumption, questionable reception and poor audio quality all drove me away from purchasing a low cost small form factor receiver.

It's not an accurate comparison, but if you get crap TV reception with an indoor antenna, a DAB+ receiver is likely to have poor reception with an inbuilt antenna as well.
    +1! Don't even think about an indoor antenna.

A split off an existing VHF TV antenna can help, but they are horizontally polarised and DAB+ uses vertical polarisation, so a dedicated DAB+ external antenna performs best.
    Can't argue with the theory, but in my case I am pulling in bucket loads of signal via a one way tap from an existing H-Pol Matchmaster MkVII. Go figure; I am in a good reception area and am pulling almost 80 dBµV off the stick.

The A2698 is discontinued and has been replaced by the with Bluetooth functionality. Altronics prices are high to the general public but fortunately I have access to a wholesale account so my original purchase was <$100.
    Good luck in your quest but I fear it may end in disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Silly to ask but will Digital Radio coverage ever be increased or like Stereo AM Radio and 3D TV just another 'Great Idea of the Time' that is quietly withing away on the Vine?
    By 'increased' I mean the Metropolitan areas let alone Regional ones.
    Gordon, I listened to the entire Senate committee hearing on the DAB+ "trial" and aside from wanting me make to beg to be put out of my misery, it did make me realise that their is no commercial imperative to make this happen on a broader scale. Radio is essentially a portable medium and as such the battery life of a DAB+ receiver cannot even compete with a $20 radio whose two AAA batteries last for a year!
    As an aside, the C-QUAM AM stereo system was exceptionally good quality (almost rivalling FM), but sadly as we all know, quality matters very little to the masses.
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

• The Following User Says Thank You to TVguy For This Useful Post:

motorolavkg (12-03-16)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

So basically because the Broadcasters dont see it being a money maker, their not interested and there it will languish until 'something better comes along' or they decide to 'Fold their Tents and silently steal away'.
    Except for passing legislation governing the specs of Digital Radio, I dont see the Government should be involved in it in any way, certainly not in the installation or operation of any stations.

If the reception is as unreliable as it appears even in the Metro areas, paying extra to have one fitted in a Car would be the last thing I would want.

As for 'quality' of the broadcast, you correct as all most care about is they can hear it and here I hark back to HD transmissions on Digital TV which are wasted on programs in B&W older than I am.......
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

cheers TV and TVGuy, ill go have another play at DSE tomorrow (hopefully they have dropped prices again)

indoor tv is fine with rabbit ears or your cheap run of the mill sansai amplified ones.

i like the BUSH Heritage but not paying over $200 for the one DSE have which i believe is now the discontinued model.

someone else mentioned Sangean to me in talking at tea last night so may look at them and scout ebay.

not really fussed on portability / battery powered as would prefer a model that can be used as a alarm clock or sitting on the desk in the man cave.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Hi All, do we have any further updates or discussions on DAB+ radio here.

I have recently come across one station on DAB+ I enjoy and would like to see if I could get a portable unit that I could feed into my 2016 Caprice audio system as far as I am aware it does not have DAB+ radio

Noting there seems to be plenty on ebay but not sure for example would it be best running with an external aerial - is reception on country victoria a problem?

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by checkitout View Post
    is reception on country victoria a problem?
    There's no DAB+ stations transmitting in country Vic that I know of, so you would be limited to receiving signals from the Melbourne stations, if you are close enough.

Further away, you'd need a fixed, roof-mounted directional antenna.

An indication of reception would be if you can receive Melbourne TV stations.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

I think most DAB stations have an online app or internet station that you could feed into your stereo via a mobile phone.
    I've replaced all our car stereos as they have died with units capable of receiving DAB. I still like my FM but for your local talk AM or ABC stations you can't beat DAB.
    As MTV said there is little or no country DAB available, it's all metro. Certainly here in the west, but it's great you can receive DAB here from Perth beyond Mandurah down the freeway.

Premium Member
    Thanks

All Good I have found the access for the DAB+ Fox Old Skool channel at hit.com.au via an app on my Android as well. I have not tried yet in the car but I think it should blue tooth across into the car system.

I have Bush Radio receiver here in Melbourne metro that has DAB+ so I can check out any other popular stations I may like - maybe other apps will also be needed but that is fine.

Now if I was able to install Android apps into the car system that would be sweet

Thanks everyone