Thread: Videofied

Thanks

Default Videofied

Seems like a popular product - which I must admit surprises a bit. I saw them at an exhibition in the US about 18 months ago and then at IFSEC in the UK just over a year ago.

Being an IP freak, I was obviously keen to see a demo of an alarm activation over IP (or local LAN on their stand) and a linked video clip to the CMS software, but they were unable to show me on both occasions. A few months later I received enquiries from their distributor in Canada asking if they could use our IP devices to send the alarm portion of Videofied events to their CMS.

I just had a quick visit to their web site again and it seems like they are still sending images over PSTN. Mmmm???

They also offer video transmission over GPRS, but the mere mention of GPRS and video in the same sentence seems a bit strange to me.

The main drawback I see with the solution is regarding the lack of flexibility in having a PIR detector and camera in the same housing.

What about when the PIR "goes to sleep" in a few years time - do you have to replace the camera too - or are there seperate boards inside ?

How does it handle situations where there is a requirement for 3 or more detectors in an area to trigger a single camera ?

How can one model of camera handle every application - or do they offer a variety of lenses, mono/colour and all the other technical requirements that some applications demand?

I figured the kit must be very competitively priced in order to get any interest from bureaus - and then I saw the price - wow !!

So, you guys out there that have been bitten by the Videofied bug - let's hear what's great about the product and present a balanced view to anyone that's interested.
    Developer of VoIP2Go at ozvoip.net - Alarm compatible VoIP Network

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Whats the point of this system? Sure it gives the CMS visual verification, CMS have always used multiple transmissions to overcome false alarms, but a simple RF Jammer purchased of ebay can compromise this system. The system is only as strong as it's weakest link, and in this case the lack of paths back to base is that link.(in installations whereby it relies solely on GPRS)

Again, we are talking remote/rural areas... What use does it have if the police are going to take a while to get there? The video in this link shows a camera placed approx 3-4m away from the entrance and yet the video does not have the detail to forensically identify the perpetrators. Video file is 200Kb @ 5fps x 10sec. Thats a WHOPPING 4Kb per frame/image! I guess resolution and clarity isn't an issue. I think the people at RSI have thrown a band-aid solution to a growing problem, that being copper theft from remote/rural transmission towers and electrical substations.

If a little more R&D went into this product then maybe it would be worth looking at, but at this stage I place this system on the shelf next to CCTV kits bought off ebay.
    Last edited by intelliGEORGE; 21-06-08 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Key points missed.

Thanks

Have a look at the Vandalism video and the kid on the left with the hammer.

Videofied will have us believe they are "real" videos on their website. If that doesn't start the alarm bells ringing about this company, then I don't know what will.
    Developer of VoIP2Go at ozvoip.net - Alarm compatible VoIP Network

Thanks

There is nothing about this product that excites me. I have seen better. Most CMS already have their bases covered with products such as Adpro or Ozvision. Others such as retail outlets will have remote access set up on there DVRs.
    There will be a few 3G enabled devices on the market very shortly, which can take the CMS out of the picture if desired. The beauty of 3G means live video\audio can be streamed to anywhere. With GPRS there is not enough bandwidth to send live video you receive snap shot still images (MPEG or JMPEG) these are not quite in real time. The customer with 3G can also control the camera so if the camera is PTZ then they can control this from there phone. There is plenty of exciting new toys to come in the not to distant future.

Thanks

Have any of you actually received any info on the the 3G video transmission product offered by Telstra? (MaxWan)

I recently had a meeting with our account manager from Telstra along with several Telstra & Maxon representatives. The technology sounds brilliant.. In theory.

Telstra and Maxon have agreed to supply us with this technology free of charge for an unspecified trial period. Anyway, we'll just wait and see how it goes!