Thread: Android Dummies Guide

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Android Dummies Guide

On Saturday 8 Sept, Aldi is selling an Android Tablet for $249 with their usual 1 Year warranty and 60 day Satisfaction Return Policy.
    My daughter has an Ipod or Apple whatever similar devise and I have played with it but this is intended for my wife's use and her delight is playing Poker Machine Games (cheaper than the real thing) so I encourage her of course.
    As it doesnt have Wireless, ie 3G etc, could you take it to McDonalds and while your dribbling over a Big Mac, use their WiFi connection ?
    I am curious what this 'Android Ice Cream Sandwich' operating system is, Androids version of XP, WIN7 etc?
    Also, what is an 'OTG' cable that's included in the pack?

As usual everyone has different uses and needs for these and while its most likely great for the likes of me, that aint necessarily so for others so for that reason I am not asking for others opinions on this regarding quality and useability but any thoughts are welcome.
    At the moment, this 'special' isnt showing on Aldi's Home page yet but the unit can be seen on .
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 30-08-12 at 08:13 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

The OTG cable is actually "USB On-The-Go" which allows the unit USB port to act as a host. For example you can connect USB keyboard and mouse.
    And yes, you can use McDonalds or other Free Wi-Fi hotspots to access internet while chewing on to their burgers .
    Forgot to add the Ice Cream Sandwich is just a name for new major android revision, similar to jinger bread etc.
    Last edited by fromaron; 30-08-12 at 08:26 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

gordon...I am only trying to learn androids pending a purchase just made.
    This thread may give you some information

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I forgot to say I do have a wifi router in use at home which this could use but I thought I would ask anyway.
    I must say I thought USB did all those things anyway but I guess like the weird usage names like 'Ice Cream', 'Jinger Bread' etc they have to dress up the 'standards' to it more attractive to buyers.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

another good option might be the nexus 7

also $249

quite a good unit (no I don't have one myself yet)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

Recently bought 7'' Android 4.0.4 (ICS) tablet pc. Very happy with this.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Personally I would be going with JasonC's suggestion based on comments posted so far about Aldi's tablets offerings (see bottom of page in link)

As I mentioned in another thread, I would rather spend that sort of money on a good second hand brand name unit (lots of people buy them and get rid of them as they find them too small etc) than an untested "no namer". My Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tab has been sitting on the coffee table for 5 days connected via wifi and hasnt used half the battery yet.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Tiny (31-08-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

I see in the comments that the previous model was a 'single Core' whereas this is advertised as a 'Dual Core', now how you test for this I don't know BUT if it is only a 'single core' within the meaning of a Computer then Aldi would be False advertising.
    Also one poster said it only showed screen size, not how many pixals but in the specs shown above the picture in the catalog, it shows the pixels as being 1024 X 768.

Over the years I have had to return three items to Aldi, 2 were refunded, a Vacuum cleaner and their Computer earlier this year and a replacement for a defective Nail Gun but apart form a confusion with the Nail gun supplier, Not Aldi, I was happy with the purchase and the ease of arranging the returns so I am still considering buying one of these from Aldi as I know if it doesnt work as I expect, I have 60 days to find out or if it fails, I have the years warranty.
    But that doesnt mean I am not going to look and listen to what others have said before laying out the 'readies' on sale day.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 31-08-12 at 07:39 PM.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 607 Posts

At least this is the case in Europe (esp. Germany): Tablet PCs sold by ALDI are Lenovo-manufactured (means Made-in-China by Lenovo) and are throughout outdated models; this way Lenovo empty their stocks.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Mmmmm Jelly Bean... means digital audio out the USB.
    Good for those that like quality audio to be handled by the DAC unit on their receivers...

Ice Cream Sandwich leaves a cold sticky mess

Thanks

I start to believe that now with metro (w8), android has to improve