Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who Fans

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,420 Times in 2,521 Posts

David Tennant then Matt Smith here.

Odd that Capaldi already says he is leaving at the end of the year before the season has even started.
    Destroys the surprise effect of these things.
    Would have been nicer to allow the viewers to speculate on these things first.
    For me that was what DW was all about: guessing what comes next.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Fester For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (01-02-17),Tiny (01-02-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 578 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    ~ Odd that Capaldi already says he is leaving at the end of the year before the season has even started. ~
    I would guess that the entire upcoming season is already "in the can" as they say (already filmed, ready to go), based on the extensive previews they showed at the end of the Xmas special?

Therefore you could say Capaldi has technically already left the show, except that the cast usually seem to spend the on-air season doing appearances and promo stuff at conventions and the like. I suppose that would be part of their contract too so officially his final year hasn't concluded yet, even if he has already filmed his last scene as the Doctor. Announcing his retirement this early gives them the opportunity to do a "grand farewell tour" during the year.

I would also guess that casting for a new Doctor is probably well underway too (if not complete), although it's likely that, true to form, this will be kept secret and revealed at the end of this year?

I wonder if we're ready for a female Doctor yet? They've certainly established with "Missy" (aka "The Master") that a gender-change during regeneration is possible...

Andrew

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (01-02-17),Uncle Fester (03-02-17)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    Heard that on the radio, yesterday. Sadly, I think Capaldi had the makings of a great Doctor, however the script writers let him down. I think that a lot of the plot lines so far were rather lame. There was some discussion on who was the best Doctor with many saying Matt Smith of the modern era and Tom Baker of all eras. John Pertwee, Sylvester McCoy, David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston all gaining honourable mentions.

Personally I tend to agree, Matt Smith of the modern ones (though I did like Eccleston). Tom Baker did the best of the lot followed closely by Pertwee.
    What say you?
    Yeah, Tom Baker at the top over all, then of the old series I'd go with Jon Pertwee, then Peter Davison..
    For the new series, I'd rate Eccleston, Tennant, Smith & Capaldi as pretty much equals, they all had a good act of the character of Dr Who.

In the middle of the Doctors there was Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy & Paul McGann; I just couldn’t get those 3 at all, maybe it was the script or the general production of the show at the time.
    I didn't actually watch all of their episodes, so maybe I should go back & watch them again?
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Thanks

Been a few decades since I watched Dr Who but if this dude regenerates again will it contradict all folklore that a time lord life span is limited to 12 lives? Or does he become something of a death cheater like the Master where we end up with some hideous emaciated farting corpse from struggle street?

Thanks

Nah, you missed a major part of the storyline from a few years ago (I think it was in "A town called Christmas"), the Matt Smith version of The Doctor grew old but then was granted more regenerations from Gallifrey via the crack in time/space... or something like that!

Andrew

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

exited (01-02-17),mickstv (01-02-17),Tiny (02-02-17)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

No ever expected Dr Who to last more than a few episodes let alone a season back in 1963 so when it became obvious it was a ratings success and so when William Hartnell's health became an issue, they hit on the then very novel idea that the Doctor would regenerate and so allow another actor to assume the role without question.
    Many a top rating series has lost its appeal and been cancelled when one of the main characters, particularly the lead has been replaced for what ever reason
    Again, not knowing how long the show would last, no doubt saying the Doctor could regenerate '10 Times' was as good a number as any at the time as who would have thought that 54 years on its still all happening?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

It would seem that every modern doctor has only lasted 3 seasons, so, for Capaldi, the writing was on the wall anyway. Not sure if they decide they want to leave, or "management" says, we need a new doctor to keep the show "fresh".
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Premium Member

Thanks

Public opinion is fickle and while one actor may seem to be the 'Perfect' choice but until they don the make up and say the lines, no one knows for sure.

While all actors have their 'personalities', its up to the Director on how these are presented and I feel they bear some of the responsibility whether the actor's portrayal is the right one or not.

The main problems with one actor doing the same part for years is that its hard to keep the story lines 'fresh' and for the actor, its the danger of being 'Typcast' which has seen the end of many careers over the years, particularly with Child Actors.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Tiny (04-02-17)

LSemmens
    Thanks

No argument there gordon. I'm not too sure if the problems many actors have with "signature roles" isn't so much the role in and of itself, but the scripts. I could see a lot of potential for Capaldi as to becoming a truly "classic" doctor in the class of Tom Baker but the plots have, so far, been rather ordinary. Anyone who has been cast as the Doctor is a good actor in his own rite so the role should not type cast him as would be the case with child actors in a popular role.

I'd put down Capaldi as the bet Doctor that never quite got there.

As to who is next. Who would you like to see in the role? I wonder how Patrick Stewart would handle it (very Pertwee - esque I would suggest). Even John Lithgow might do a brilliant job given his breadth of experience. Maybe a lesser actor, might be interesting.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsemmens For This Useful Post:

efab (04-02-17),Tiny (04-02-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

I am trying to remember one actor I saw doing a role I would never have given 2 bob too as being able to carry the part but he did and he did it to perfection.

I am not that thrilled with the way Capaldi does some scenes nor the directors ideas for presenting them but obviously more like him than dislike him so he stays.

Script writing for a series must be absolutely horrendous when your trying not to repeat old material, take from other shows and use the actors as best you can.

My Wife is an avid watcher of the Bold & the Beautiful so I get to see/hear it even if I am doing something else and I even I have noticed how much of the production is now shot 'Outside' instead of in the sets.
    Last year they went to both France and Italy and wove the story line around the wondrous views of both Countries and seeing this show is based on a fictional clothing designer, what better backdrop than the Eiffel Tower or the Coliseum to display their designs and for the cast to play against them with their relationships which in these 'Soapies' is incredible !!!
    Even now they dont 'magically' move from one location to another but they are shown (briefly) driving or flying along with some exterior shots as they do.

Thanks

Season 10 premieres on ABC here in Australia on Sunday April 16th

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigfella237 For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (07-04-17),lsemmens (07-04-17),Tiny (07-04-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

I just checked the printed guide from the local newspaper and it doesnt show an early bird prescreen of the new series as they did last time, not that I was getting up to see it anyway.
    7.40pm Sunday night will do me.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (14-04-17)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    Season 10 premieres on ABC here in Australia on Sunday April 16th
    1080i torrents are generally out 3am Sunday if you can't wait, or just want better quality.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

Bigfella237 (14-04-17),lsemmens (14-04-17)

Premium Member

Thanks

I caught part of a an advert on Foxtel (Friday night) saying there was a Dr Who 'special' on 'BBC on April the 16th'

I have checked the EPG for Sunday on both UKTV and BBC First but I cant find any mention of this program.

What I saw during the ad was totally different to the trailer I saw for the Dr Who program coming to the ABC on Sunday night.

I havent seen the damned ad since so am I seeing things or is there another show on Foxtel as well as the ABC?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 15-04-17 at 01:23 PM.

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

I just put in a search at & only old episodes & the new one are listed.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Premium Member

Thanks

Got me confused too Tiny as to what did I actually see??
    just have to wait and see wont we?

Premium Member
    Thanks

got a 1080p copy sitting on my hard drive, out for breakfast, then i might sit down with a nice coffee and watch it.....

Premium Member
    Thanks

Not sure if I like the token lemon golliwog......

I'm sick of this PC bullshit taking over everything......

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hoe; 16-04-17 at 06:39 PM.

LSemmens
    Thanks

Haven't seen it yet, had visitors and we got talking. ABC did put on a re-cap of last season's final episode the other night. just to remind you what you missed out on.

Thanks

You missed two more chances to see it on ABC today, it was on in the afternoon (around 15:00 I think) and again this evening.

You get one more chance late tonight on ABC2 at 01:37 (about 3 hours from now)

• Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast