Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Who Fans

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Exclamation Doctor Who Fans

Doctor Who series 7 starts Saturday night 8th Sept 730pm EST ABC1

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

best4less (06-09-12),efab (06-09-12),gordon_s1942 (06-09-12),hogwort (05-06-13),iwacelect (23-09-12),Jims Brother (06-09-12),OSIRUS (18-09-12)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

sweet should be good

Tagg

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

been available on torrent sites for 4 days......

Thanks

and legally as well...

MORE people downloaded the first episode of Doctor Who legally in 24 hours than the most popular illegally downloaded show over a whole month.

The ABC received the highest amount of daily plays on iView ever after airing the premiere episode of Doctor Who on Sunday - just hours after it aired in the UK.

In comparison, the most heavily downloaded television show in Australia - How I Met Your Mother - was pirated 37 458 over the month of February last year, according to marketing and metrics company, Jumpwire Media.

Asylum of the Daleks received 75,900 plays in less than 24 hours after it aired on Sunday at 5.10am, in Aunty’s novel attempt to stop users from pirating the episode illegally.

That number only makes up about 10 per cent of the show's potential TV audience, in its current Saturday 7.30pm timeslot, however the number is significant as it means that the ABC's bid appears to have been successful.

The episode aired online almost a week before it hits TV screens on ABC1.

News Ltd asked Channels 7, 9, and 10, along with Foxtel, whether the encouraging figures would prompt the content providers to prevent piracy by adopting a digital route, airing the latest TV shows online before broadcasting them on TV.

Foxtel told News Ltd it would continue to innovate, including providing content online.

"Foxtel, of course, supports lawful consumer access to content," the spokesperson said.

"It's important to make content available to our subscribers across multiple platforms.

"We already provide internet-based services including Foxtel on Xbox 360, Foxtel on Internet TV, Foxtel on T-Box, and Apps for mobiles and tablets.

The spokesperson said Foxtel was pleased with the response to its London2012 tablet app for the Olympics and that it would be launching a new app later this year on which it would deliver some of its "most popular channels and programs".

Channel Ten told News Ltd it had previously offered viewers the chance to watch full episodes of programs ahead of broadcast.

Users who "liked" the Puberty Blues Facebook page were offered the ability to watch the first episode in full online before it aired on TV.

"A similar offering was made to Offspring fans ahead of the beginning of series three (April this year)," the spokesperson said. "The full episode catch-up service on our website is very successful."

Offspring received a weekly viewing average of 400,000 views online, and Puberty Blues racked up 520,000 online views over week one, two and three, the spokesperson told News Ltd.

Channel 10 did not say whether it would be following the ABC's lead by offering complete series in full online before they air on TV.

Channel Seven and Nine both declined to comment.

ABC1 controller Brendan Dahill told News Ltd that airing Doctor Who online had been a "stunning success" and suggested that audiences would watch content legally if they were offered options that were convenient and simple to use.

The ABC is still trying to find out how many people illegally downloaded the episode last night so they can properly measure the success of its online venture.

Commercial TV's current business models still rely on television to sell advertising, but Mr Dahill said it shouldn't be important what platform viewers watch their favourite programs on.

"It's about great content, delivered in ways that are convenient and accessible to our viewers," he said.

However, the ABC1 controller acknowledged that it was precisely because the ABC did not have to rely on ratings and advertising that it was able to experiment with new transmission options.

As for whether other broadcasters will take up the challenge, Mr Dahill said that was for each and every broadcaster to judge for themselves "alongside their business model".

"However, we are seeing tightening of release windows around the world, not just for TV but also for movies," he said.

"The rise of social media has meant an increased risk of spoilers if shows are delayed."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mysterex For This Useful Post:

lsemmens (06-09-12),Tiny (06-09-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    been available on torrent sites for 4 days......
    Agree 720p is the only way to go for this show. None of this SD or even lower iview quality.

Alternatively use Iview Napper if you want to download and save a copy for playback on tv, pc or external media player.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

One og my PC's is connected to my TV. I didn't even realise it was already on iView, Going to look now!

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Seriously, what is the difference in downloading or streaming from a service like iview???

Or even recording when broadcast?????
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

Thanks

I'm excited the new series is here after an incredibly long wait - and I have a feeling there's not going to the 'usual' 13 episodes for this season...hhmm

Interesting (but good) idea of ABC to post it up on iview only a day after UK screening and a week before Aussie screening...

I still downloaded the 720p MKV and watched it Sunday night....

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mgoldbe1 View Post
    I'm excited the new series is here after an incredibly long wait - and I have a feeling there's not going to the 'usual' 13 episodes for this season...hhmm

Interesting (but good) idea of ABC to post it up on iview only a day after UK screening and a week before Aussie screening...

I still downloaded the 720p MKV and watched it Sunday night....
    14 episodes for season 7 including the Christmas special as episode 6.
    Read the links below at the peril of learning too much.

Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (07-09-12),Mgoldbe1 (07-09-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post

Warning, spoiler.......

as soon as i saw 'oswin' , i thought 'she'll be back'......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post

Maybe the BBC is aligning itself with the US market where new seasons start in September?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Although the ABC says it isn't bothered by rating surveys, it still likes to see a viewer count and now as the seasons are changing and many of the Winter screenings of the popular Sit Coms are getting close to their end, what better time to slip in a top rating series like dr Who as an alternative to the plethora of Footie finals flooding the nights viewing and take us to the end of the calender year and Xmas.
    In the US, the first weekend in September is Labor Day and it marks the end of Summer and holidays and is the beginning of the 'new' school year with shorter days and colder weather approaching makes it a perfect time to commence the new crop of programs for the coming winter months until spring rolls around again.

I 'streamed' it on Iview and apart from some buffering, it ran reasonably well.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 08-09-12 at 01:23 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,166 Times in 389 Posts

For anyone who hasn't already seen it , it's on ABC1 tonight at 7:30 PM.
    For most of my life, I lived a delusion

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    Warning, spoiler.......

as soon as i saw 'oswin' , i thought 'she'll be back'......
    I sure hope she stays a Dalek. Would be awesome as his new companion.
    Then one day he can manage to release her ...to make those happy who need that ...after a 100 episodes or so
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Cool

Just been pondering about how good the animations & special effects were for the 2nd episode on Saturday night, the dinosaurs & Silurians looked so real.

This show has come a long way since I started watching it as a kid.
    Started watching it from the beginning on a black & white TV.

I used to laugh at the low budget, crappy special effects of the early series.

Hope they keep up the quality for the rest of the series.
    Cheers, Tiny

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

mkhannah (18-09-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

I agree Tiny, the special effects are huge compared to what they were back in the day.
    But it could be a double edged sword....if they spend more money they have to justify with audience figures, lets hope the numbers back up many more series to come

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

A great program...like the other networks, shows are becoming more quickly available, and we don't really need to download them from o/s anymore. I think the networks are realizing that the public will not be dictated to, and are trying to cut down on internet viewers sliding in there so quickly. This is good for the tv audiences.

....back to Dr Who.....I liked the older theme music than the later 2 series, however, the effects are getting better all the time.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to viewer For This Useful Post:

Tasman (23-09-12),Tiny (19-09-12)

Thanks

Default Simple

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    Seriously, what is the difference in downloading or streaming from a service like iview???

Or even recording when broadcast?????
    Streaming can get choppy whereas a downloaded file doesn't. It's all about the quality.

And both mean I get to see it when I want without having to tie up my TV tuner recording it when I might be watching something else.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I agree the current theme is barely recognisable compared to the earlier versions.
    I have a DVD of the first series, great to watch and see how its progressed to todays series.
    Like with the James Bond movies when they got all arty farty and changed the theme but the paying audiences didnt like it.
    They dont seem to grasp the concept that the themes often last longer than the show it comes from so why keep fiddling about with it if its what people like?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

mkhannah (18-09-12),Tiny (19-09-12)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 835 Posts

Yes I'm enjoying the show again but just to show my age - I don't like the opening/closing sequence or theme music either. Not as scary as the old days!

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

Tasman (23-09-12)

• Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast