Thread: Cinavia - How to wreck a Saturday night

Thanks

Default Cinavia - How to wreck a Saturday night

Hi All,

I thought I would share my experience from last night and hoefully shed some light on this issue. So the wife and I were settling in for a Saturday watch a dvd, in this case the movie was Moneyball with Brad Pitt. We were watching the movie on a Panasonic Bluray player (about six weeks old) and with the firmware updated about 3 weeks ago when about a third of the way into the movie this message pops up:
    “Audio outputs temporarily muted. Do not adjust the playback volume. The content being played is protected by Cinavia™
    and is not authorized for playback on this device. For more information, see . Message Code 3.”
    I was puzzled at first because given my copy was a backup I would have thought all anti piracy features would have been removed/disabled. This continued for a further 3 minutes at which point the "puzzled" feeling turned to "pissed off". I had never even heard of this cinavia and now I was super keen to bypass it so off the PC in the middle of the night to google this bugger.

The first thing I found out was what Cinavia actually was I wont bore you with details here is the official site
    The next thing was how to bypass it and there are hundreds of posts about this but 99% of them relate to PS3. It was clearly evident that the Blu ray drive in PS3 was affected by this software and heaps of PS3 users were wanting a workaround. There were numerous ways of trying to fix this issue involving changing the date on your console and buying some crap software from a jerk who is trying to make a buck out of this problem. The easiest method seems to be just changing the audio settings on your console from HDMI to optical output and whamo you up and running just as long as you do not have the most recent firmware I think it was version 3.56 in any case there is a Youtube on this here:

This however did not help me because my Bluray player does not have that option so I continued googling for another 45 mins reading endless posts about this issue but with no real solution available at which point "the penny finally dropped" and I thought if this was a Blu ray issue and there has been no mention of it affecting "DVD" players why dont I just play the movie in a DVD player and see what happens. Well you can certainly see where this is going, so after resurrecting an old DVD player from the study and sticking the movie in it....... BINGO we have "lift off"

Okay the moral of the story is this, unfortunately as much as I love google there are times when the plain and simple is not stated from the outset and not everyone in the world has a bloody PS3. In other world look at the problem and then start with the basics. I know this does not help PS3 users ( I dont care) and for those who have spent a fortune on a Blu ray player I sympathise but the good old garden variety DVD player wins the door prize. Hope this has thrown some light on the issue and you dont get stuck on Saturday wasting your time instead of Chillaxing

2. The Following User Says Thank You to myf360f1 For This Useful Post:

Rick (09-09-12)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

was the movie any good ??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mango View Post
    was the movie any good ??
    LOL Mango ... truth be told, it got to 11.30 and I fell asleep so I think I am about halfway through will let you know tomorrow

Thanks

lol you were using a pirated copy of the movie then you complained that it did not work correct on your Bluray player and how you wasted your time trying to get it work. man that is so funny, maybe you should have rented it.

Tagg

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Probably like most of us tagg we rent them and don't get time to watch, I do all the time so I just back it up to watch later ;-)

Thanks

Yea for sure, but i don't rent if i don't have time to watch, but hey thats me.

Tagg
    Last edited by tagg; 09-09-12 at 01:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,590 Times in 726 Posts

I am not interested in Bluray and have never bought a player. Streaming and/or digital copies are far more convenient as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if DVD proves to be the last really successful consumer optical disk format. The only thing really keeping Bluray going from what I can see is the movies, series etc being sold by places like JB for bargain prices.

And no doubt the OP was watching his backup copy because his original had been damaged. In his position I would do exactly the same thing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

i saw a blue ray dvd player for $40 at a garage sale yesterday, it worked ok from what i saw.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tagg View Post
    Yea for sure, but i don't rent if i don't have time to watch, but hey thats me.

Tagg
    OH I forgot Tagg, you dont do anything do anything remotely dodgy do you, like using a windows loader or visting torrents....LOL ....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myf360f1 View Post
    OH I forgot Tagg, you dont do anything do anything remotely dodgy do you, like using a windows loader or visting torrents....LOL ....
    Oh i do mate i do alot of dodgy things, but the thing is i don't bitch about it when it don't work. can you see the difference. and i still think its funny

Tagg
    Last edited by tagg; 09-09-12 at 11:20 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

i think its funny too, bit like stealing a car and complaining that the tyres are bald.....

and yes, i download lots of torrents etc......

• The Following User Says Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

tagg (10-09-12)

2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

If you want to ruin another saturday, Watch the rest of the movie.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hughdman For This Useful Post:

DB44 (10-09-12),myf360f1 (10-09-12),tagg (10-09-12)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

I use these lists to get a heads up what has cinavia

their fix doesn't work.

Dvdfab maybe working on a fix.

Thanks

I've also run into this. I got around it on bluray media by purchasing an older 2011 model Panasonic player that does not support cinavia protection. From my research the only 2012 manufacturer of bluray players not supporting cinavia protection is Oppo, but they are quite expensive. I believe you can use total media theatre 5 on the pc to get around this as well if you have a media pc setup.