Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS on Tablet (Android)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default GPS on Tablet (Android)

I was curious about how the GPS operates on a Tablet.
    I have seen some advertised as having GPS.
    Is it a true GPS devise that takes its location signals from the orbiting GPS satellites or does it use the mobile phone towers along with an appropriate mapping to show a location?
    To use the Mobile phone towers means it would need to be either 3/4G capable or have a wireless Internet dongle attached wouldnt it?
    I had a look at Play Shop and there are APPs there for GPS but why would you need the APP if you have GPS built in?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

It should have a gps reciever built in which can be used by google maps and some programs that use the location services. It can also put the gps co-ordinates on photos taken. With the apps on the market there just other programs that use the built in gps for whatever reason, mapping walks for fitness speedodometers or navigation with stored maps like gps navigators in cars so you dont need a internet connection. If you have a sim card it can use agps which is assisted gps by cell towers which is ment to be a little faster and help accuracy.

Give this program a try:

I have found it to be very good, After installing the apk and running the program it will ask you to download a map, around 200mb for australia i think.
    Last edited by Gerbertron; 19-09-12 at 05:49 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Gerbertron For This Useful Post:

viewer (20-09-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

From memory, those Aldi tablets dont have GPS though it would be worth double checking.

GPS uses strategically placed satellites in the sky to pinpoint your position.

I had a look at Play Shop and there are APPs there for GPS but why would you need the APP if you have GPS built in?
    The easiest explanation would be how do you use a computer with no software.

Thanks

If your unit has gps built in it only needs the satellites for location but you can have both internet and gps. I go into settings and tick sats only to keep the data down. The maps are usually stored on your sd card.

Here is one called Sygic 11.2.6, try it i'm sure you will be happy with it.
    Take note this is only the apk file, once installed it will ask you to down load the maps you want. Make sure your tablet is connected to wireless internet, it's roughly 690Mb

• The Following User Says Thank You to joezep For This Useful Post:

viewer (20-09-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

He would be wasting his time, ( and data on a map download) it definately doesnt have GPS.

The only thing he could remotely use is Google Maps as it apparently can use wifi location, but it wont work for any realtime GPS use.

Premium Member

Thanks

Thats what I thought Sanity, no inbuilt GPS so no tracking.
    As I said I was just curious as with many things now it can be a bit confusing as to what a devise can do.
    Thanks everyone.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

Download Google Maps from the play store Gordon. You dont need to download any maps, just the app. Connect your tablet to your wifi and run maps and see what happens in relation to it showing your position.

I am only going off what I have read about google maps being able to find your position via wifi, so I would be curious to see what it does.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (19-09-12)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Interesting reading fellas...mine comes with gps and a gps antenna, but I haven't even explored this aspect yet, let alone know what I'm doing....another project. The instruction manual as usual explains very little, and what I just read here is more information than anything I've seen

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Download Google Maps from the play store Gordon. You dont need to download any maps, just the app. Connect your tablet to your wifi and run maps and see what happens in relation to it showing your position.

I am only going off what I have read about google maps being able to find your position via wifi, so I would be curious to see what it does.
    I downloaded an App called Maps by Google inc as that seemed to be the suitable one there and loaded it,typed in Australia and then pressed the first icon which opens the location search but after a few moments it tells me that 'My Location is Temporarily Unavailable'.
    In Search I typed in my location and it opened a map of here so I tried my Daughters address and that area map is there.
    Ok, I got it to show from here to there, gives distance, approximate travel time, turns etc.
    It allowed me to block Toll/Motor ways at least but not a specific street.
    Actually you could use this as a Paperless printed Directory as you can both shrink and enlarge an area for clarity.
    But as for knowing your actual location at a given time, that I doubt.
    Portions of the map become unavailable when the wifi is disconnected which means unless your at home or near a 'Hotspot', its not much use.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 19-09-12 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks

There are other options if you really want to use your tablet as a gps. If your tablet has bluetooth you can use a bluetooth gps receiver.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joezep For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (20-09-12),viewer (20-09-12)

Thanks

GPS is a part of the hardware, which can tell certain apps (like Google Maps) where the device is. The device also can use cellular data, if available, for positioning, and can also be assisted with wifi. The downside of Google Maps is that it has to be used online, so you couldn't bring the tablet somewhere without wifi and use it, unless you have a data plan.

Of course if you don't actually have GPS, this wouldn't be of use. Which model tablet do you have?

• The Following User Says Thank You to evti For This Useful Post:

viewer (20-09-12)

Banned
    Thanks

Downloading Sygicgps now to my 10.2" Vimicro V10 Android 4.0 ICS Tablet PC, Built-in GPS, 1GB DDR3 Ram, HDMI Wifi WebCamera, Flytouch 6 MID

Premium Member

Thanks

I am about to try to pair my Aldi GoCruise GPS and the Brauhn (Aldi) tablet.
    I shall advise.
    UPDATE........
    Yes, they Pair but in what way?
    On the Tablet I have an Audio and Media Audio I presume from the GPS.
    So maybe I could use the SD slot in the GPS to play either Audio or a Video and hear it on the Tablet?????
    It seems as I do things on the GPS, I hear an acknowledging 'Click' on the Tablet.
    After pairing, the Location Icon on the Tablet (Google MAPS app) goes from a simple ring to a 4 pointed circle, like compass points.
    I am not getting the message 'Location not available now' but a pulsing blue dot in basicaly the centre of Village.
    But this is now with or without the GPS being turned on, confusing.
    The GPS maps dont cover the whole village, just covers about 5 metres either side of the main road through the Village although it shows most of the streets, it wont navigate to them.
    If I am away and ask for a 'Route home, the only entrable address is 49 Bathurst Road which is the Railway station.
    I will have to go for a drive and try them together in another location and see what happens.

Hmmmm, I have just found an APP called 'Navigation' that wasnt there before, seems it associated with Google Maps, more to follow.........
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 20-09-12 at 02:33 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    Downloading Sygicgps now to my 10.2" Vimicro V10 Android 4.0 ICS Tablet PC, Built-in GPS, 1GB DDR3 Ram, HDMI Wifi WebCamera, Flytouch 6 MID
    Did not work.
    Application after map download kept saying "unfortunately,sygic has stopped".
    I googled that up, and there were plenty of references to uninstall and make sure aura file was removed.
    Still no go.
    Have now deleted all and trying again.

Thanks all

Premium Member

Thanks

Like the song said, 'And the Fun Goes ON, The Fun Goes ON.................'

Thanks

For software you can get Ozi Explorer for Android now which is good for offroad mapping and geocaching.

• The Following User Says Thank You to loanrangiel For This Useful Post:

viewer (27-09-12)

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 607 Posts

Default Navigation software for Android

iGO Primo 2.0 Android Final Edition 2012 All Resolutions (w/o maps)

you can fetch from here:

Part1:
    Part2:
    Part3:

Be aware it's a cracked version. You know software piracy is a criminal act.

Quote Originally Posted by loanrangiel View Post
    For software you can get Ozi Explorer for Android now which is good for offroad mapping and geocaching.
    Ozi is BETA version. Why to pay for a BETA version, you don't know you'll be satisfied with? Ozi Explorer for Android v1.7 beta (w/o maps)

you can fetch from here:

Be aware it's a cracked version. You know software piracy is a criminal act.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 28-09-12 at 03:14 AM. Reason: NEW iGO Primo DOWNLOAD LINKS

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

viewer (27-09-12)

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    Did not work.
    Application after map download kept saying "unfortunately,sygic has stopped".
    I googled that up, and there were plenty of references to uninstall and make sure aura file was removed.
    Still no go.
    Have now deleted all and trying again.

Thanks all
    Sygic GPS Navigation for Android works flawlessly on my 7'' ICS MID (1024x600). Installed without any issues.

Banned
    Thanks

Not too sure I am doing it right, which could be the problem?

I am downloading it, and storing it to the main tablet and not to an sd card. Would that cause any hicups?

I have deleted my previous files, and am again in the process now of d/l the Au maps, with 15 min to go.

Last try I hope?

Added...again I get the message "unfortunately,sygic has stopped", and I can go no further. Looks like this one not compatible with my tablet
    Last edited by viewer; 27-09-12 at 10:25 PM.

Banned

Thanks

ICS basically knows of two storage devices: /mnt/sdcard and /mnt/sdcard2, whereas /mnt/sdcard is the internal storage device, and /mnt/sdcard2 is the external storage device. The alias name for them may vary from device to device. You can't change this naming. Not without root.
    If Sygic installs, it doesn't matter where the .apk-file is located, only in /mnt/sdcard a subfolder Aura gets created, where all Sygic related files and the downloaded maps go to. You can't force Sygic to install to /mnt/scdcard2. But, if Sygic got installed, you can move it to /mnt/sdcard2 with the help of utility 'App 2 SD (by Rainbow)'.
    You must know ICSes external storage device /mnt/sdcard2 is the place to store videos, pictures, audios, ebooks, backups, personal documents, etc.pp, only.
    Personally created in /mnt/sdcard a subfolder MyAPKs, where I put all the essential .apk-files (especially those I've paid for), thus they don't get lost, means I everytime can re-install the apps from there, and as counterpart created in /mnt/sdcard2 a subfolder MyAPKs2, where I put all the non-essential .apk-files (especially all the games - some are >= 21MB in size, etc).

Long story short: What's the reason for your issue with Sygic, I don't really know it. But read more at , esp. post #8 there.

EDIT:

If I'ld be you, then I'ld return the tablet to Aldi, this because it can't be that primitive things, which basically work flawlessly on most other tablets, don't work on your tablet.
    Last edited by jwoegerbauer; 28-09-12 at 06:49 AM. Reason: typo corrected

• The Following User Says Thank You to jwoegerbauer For This Useful Post:

viewer (28-09-12)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast