Thread: Advice needed for 'front door' camera

Thanks

Default Advice needed for 'front door' camera

Hi there, I have a slightly unusual requirement, hoping for some advice/recommendations.

At our house we have a front gate which is too low to install a camera intercom, so what I'd like to do is mount a CCTV camera which would be dual purpose:

1) for checking who's there when the doorbell rings (doorbell is an audio-only Genie Systems intercom mounted to the front gate), viewable from a small push button operated monitor screen (say 8")
    2) for security also so that it can be used to record any security breach of the front gate too

So far it's been suggested to use a small Axis panel as a monitor which is OK but not quite wife-friendly enough to mount on a white wall in our house. So I'm still looking for ideas.

Grateful for any thoughts.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Going back to your original problem of the front gate being too low... why not just mount your intercom/camera on a post beside the gate?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Connect a camera overlooking the gate (in a suitable position) and connect it to a DVR (digital video recorder) then take the output of the DVR and run it to your TV's in the home using an RF modulator.

Flick the channel on the TV when someone comes to the gate, no need to go out of your way to a monitor and also helpful if you have multiple TV's in your home.

• The Following User Says Thank You to intelliGEORGE For This Useful Post:

captaincaveman (23-09-12)

Thanks

Posts surrounding the gates are also too low (it's a picket fence & gate)

IntelliGeorge, thanks for the suggestions, the only problem I can see with your idea is that I might not want to turn on the TV to see who's there every time the doorbell rings, so I thought that having a little monitor that is only activated on demand would be a better solution.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by captaincaveman View Post
    Posts surrounding the gates are also too low (it's a picket fence & gate)
    Ummm..... add a taller one?

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    Connect a camera overlooking the gate (in a suitable position) and connect it to a DVR (digital video recorder) then take the output of the DVR and run it to your TV's in the home using an RF modulator.

Flick the channel on the TV when someone comes to the gate, no need to go out of your way to a monitor and also helpful if you have multiple TV's in your home.
    George , I believe that with digital TV this is easier said than done now days. But as with everything I say - I could be wrong

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    George , I believe that with digital TV this is easier said than done now days. But as with everything I say - I could be wrong
    AV inputs. Forget the modulator.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    AV inputs. Forget the modulator.
    You could go AV inputs. The only problem is then you need a video distribution amp and added cabling to multiple TV's.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    I was speaking layman in my original post , however you are right, RF modulators output analogue signal.

There are COFDM Modulators available on the market now for converting A/V to DVB-T.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    There are COFDM Modulators available on the market now for converting A/V to DVB-T.
    I agree - digital modulation to distribute CCTV for casual viewing is the way to go, especially since more and more TVs are being manufacturered with digital-only tuners built-in. Digital modulators are also coming down in price - good quality single-channel units are now available for well under $1000. One pitfall to avoid is to make sure that all new and existing cabling, connectors etc. are "digital quality" (RG6 Quad cable, F-connectors and F-type splitters). Otherwise, the results may be poor and the whole exercise a waste of time and money.

Thanks

Aiphone make a home intercom that has a camera /audio/and lock release working over 2 wires from outside to inside,,the screen inside shows a very good picture and all conversations can be recorded ,,camera can be turned on just to watch the outside activity at any time.
    Its quality is a lot less than the above quotes but for about $150/300 it works.
    PS ,,camera can be adjusted to look UP

Thanks

If you have a decent DVR connect it to your network, then if someones at your front door pick up your Ipad or Tablet and have a look!!!!! Oh thats over WiFi!!
    Have Fun

Freezz

• 22-06-18, 07:05 PM