Thread: 3G Dongle support WCDMA/EVO ??

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default 3G Dongle support WCDMA/EVO ??

Is this compatible with the current 3G/4G now being used on Mobile wireless systems in Australia, either Telstra or Optus ?
    I have a Telstra 'Turbo' USB dongle (626i) and I was wondering if this is the same protocols needed to connect to the Internet?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks

Well. I have the answer today after conferring with my local Telstra shop and that it is the Tablet is very unlikely to accept a USB wireless internet dongle.
    However all is not lost although it does require a bit of mucking about.
    If you were really serious to want to use a Tablet away from 'Home' you will need a USB dongle, a wifi router that accepts a USB dongle similar to a Netcomm 3GM1WM or a Telstra/Optus version. Note this unit does NOT have an internal battery but can be powered by either a mains P/S or a USB port.
    Cost and portability would be the 2 deciding factors here along with your specific needs and likes.
    I already have this router bought for a totally different reason, plus a Telstra 'Turbo' dongle that I know work together and I have a Battery pack that could power it so all I need is a valid SIM card.
    Not the most suitable solution by any means but at least it is one.
    $250 for the Tablet, $50 for the router,lets say from $50 to a $100 for the dongle including SIM and Data allowance = about $400 as compared to a 3G/4G enabled Tablet.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-10-12 at 03:23 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Get a mobile phone that allows tethering or wireless hotspot (most androids do). Then simply connect your tablet to it as you would connect to any wireless network.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Get a mobile phone that allows tethering or wireless hotspot (most androids do). Then simply connect your tablet to it as you would connect to any wireless network.
    Thats the best way, pretty easy too.

Also if you can use bluetooth for the connection over the wifi hotspot option you'll save a bit of power. Also pay attention to how much data you go through and how much your allowed, it can get very expensive if you go over.

Premium Member

Thanks

Thats all well and good for those who have and use these phones which I have absolutely no need of or want and untill recent times, they wouldnt work here anyway.
    And why would I stare at a 3 inch mobile phone pad when compared to a 10 inch Tablet?
    But until today I never considered Routers/Wifi as being 'Portable' as I was just used to using the fixed satellite internet service.
    The Tablet was bought basically as a Media devise for my wife to use when traveling or at home when she wants her 'Quiet' time.
    She have a 3 inch Media player that is great but not up against the larger Tablet screen.
    And I have been able to load some games on the Tablet for her as well.
    For her the Tablet is far more manageable than the Laptop is.
    I know I could go to places like McDonalds for their Wifi hotspot, its only 25 kms away but I am looking at and learning just what I can do with this Tablet.
    My Daughter has a wifi router so I can 'connect' the Tablet to her Internet when we go there again.
    If I was to go 'Mobile' as discussed, it would either be Prepaid or on the plan I have now that has a fixed Data limit and no excess charges.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Thats all well and good for those who have and use these phones which I have absolutely no need of or want and untill recent times, they wouldnt work here.

Based on your comments, I am presuming you want to connect your tablet to the internet when away from home. You cannot put a 3g usb mode in them as far as I know.
    Which is why I just explained how people access the internet with tablets that dont have a 3g sim card slot. A router isnt required, just a mobile that has tethering/wifi options in the menu. Which is most phones these days, even some of the cheapy 50 dollarish ones.

[quote|And why would I stare at a 3 inch mobile phone pad when compared to a 10 inch Tablet?
    Looking at the mobile phone has nothing to do with what I am saying. To simply access the internet with a tablet anywhere there is a mobile phone signal, you enable wifi hotspot on your mobile phone. On your tablet you go to wireless networks and connect to the newly created wifi connection.

An example of cheap mobile internet connection for most people would be a cheap mobile phone with an android operating system and a cheap phone subscription such as . An $11a month plan gives you 1.5 gig of data which is plenty for the occasional away from home use.

By turning on wifi hotspot on my mobile, my wife or kids can surf the net, check email, or stream music/video while I am driving as long as there is a mobile phone signal.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Thats all well and good for those who have and use these phones which I have absolutely no need of or want and untill recent times, they wouldnt work here.
    Based on your comments, I am presuming you want to connect your tablet to the internet when away from home. You cannot put a 3g usb mode in them as far as I know.
    Which is why I just explained how people access the internet with tablets that dont have a 3g sim card slot. A router isnt required, just a mobile that has tethering/wifi options in the menu. Which is most phones these days, even some of the cheapy 50 dollarish ones.

And why would I stare at a 3 inch mobile phone pad when compared to a 10 inch Tablet?
    Looking at the mobile phone has nothing to do with what I am saying. To simply access the internet with a tablet anywhere there is a mobile phone signal, you enable wifi hotspot on your mobile phone. On your tablet you go to wireless networks and connect to the newly created wifi connection.

An example of cheap mobile internet connection for most people would be a cheap mobile phone with an android operating system and a cheap phone subscription such as . An $11a month plan gives you 1.5 gig of data which is plenty for the occasional away from home use.

By turning on wifi hotspot on my mobile, my wife or kids can surf the net, check email, or stream music/video while I am driving as long as there is a mobile phone signal.

Premium Member

Thanks

Now here is another area I am totally ignorant of is 'Tethering'.
    I have managed to connect my GPS and the mobile for 'Hands Free' via Bluetooth and I know the Mobile, a ZTE F156 has some browsing capabilities but I have never pursued its use because the Mobile had poor to no reception inside and I had no portable devises like a Laptop or Tablet to connect to.
    I see in the book it has something it calls 'Join Me' that has to be installed on a computer to connect to the Mobile for the Mobile to become a DIAL UP modem??
    DIAL UP MODEM ??? 2007 is the date on the flyleaf of the manual but I think things have changed since it was printed.
    I had no idea Mobiles could be made into Wifi HOT spots so thats something new to add to the mix.
    Our Mobile is only switched on when we are out shopping or traveling generally so this concept is an interesting option.
    I know the Tablet can detect the Mobile on Bluetooth so I wonder what that would allow me to do once 'connected'?