Thread: Garmin Rino 650 Shutting Down

Thanks

Default Garmin Rino 650 Shutting Down

Recently bought two Rino 650s and with the latest updated software (5.01)when I go into "Where To" then choose "Tracks" then a track, the units then turn themselves off.

Anyone else having this hassle?

Richard

Look Here ->
    Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,651 Posts

Since you have just purchased these, the first thing I'd be doing is going to & checking there support database for known problems, then contact Garmin technical support for direct assistance or a return authorisation for a warranty repair or replace.

Garmin are pretty good on warranty & support with all their products.

Garmin Technical support may give you the sequence necessary for a hard reset which may solve the problem or a firmware patch.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ramcd (04-10-12)

Thanks

Thanks Tiny.

Everything you've mentioned above has been done twice over including sending the original units back to Garmin.

The replacement Rinos had the exact same problem so they've gone back as well.

I'm wondering if it's a software glitch ...

I have an older 276c that I use for the car, some waypoints and tracks saved via Mapsource
    where installed on the Rinos that seamed to cause the most problems but after deleting these the units still turned off when useing tracks saved from the units themselves.

I aslo installed Shonky Maps that I at first thought may becausing the hassles but after deleting the problem continued.

Going to be interesting what Garmin are going to do second time around.

Richard

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Cool

Hi Richard, thanks for sharing whats happening with the units, it is good to see Garmin are standing behind their product.

I agree that it is most likely a software glitch. I'm sure Garmin will eventually sort it out.
    Had a look around on a couple of other GPS forums & found some links relating to your problem with the Rino's. A couple of them were your posts so have not included those.
    " TERRIBLE GLITCHY PRODUCT

Pros: cool features.
    Cons: terrible product

took the 650 Rino gps out of the box. went and did some experiments. saved tracks. went to view tracks on map.... machine shuts off. This happens again and again. garmin customer support was no help. returned device to store."
    source:

Appears the Rino 520 had a similar problem.

"Full of bugsJanuary 10, 2010
    I bought two Rino's and my friend bought 3. Out of the five we have returned 3. No problems with the radio's but after a while the three bad units would go blank, no gps or map's. After shutting down and restarting they would work again, for a while. Cabellas service was great, with no hesitation at all they gave a full refund, which was used to buy more of the same. Basically they are a good idea, but 3 out of the 5 were defective, we'll see how the new ones work. I would recommend them to a friend, but I'd be sure to tell them about the problems we had."

source:

The waypoints & tracks you transferred should not of been a problem, as you used MapSource, therefore they would be in the correct format.
    They are only a collection of coordinates.
    I've transferred waypoints between my Etrex Vista HCX handheld & Nuvi 1490 using MapSource with no hiccups.
    Have also sent waypoints & tracks in GPX form to friends via email & they loaded them on their Garmin units with no problems.

I & many friends have used Shonky maps with no problems as well. (when I say no problems, I mean it worked, however Shonky maps is not very accurate when compared to Garmin Topo &/or OzTopo, so I no longer use it).

Let us know how you get on with the Rino's, it will be interesting to see what Garmin do to sort the problem.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

ramcd (04-10-12)

Thanks

Cheers for that Tiny and the time you put into it.

For the purpose the Rinos where bought for, apart fom this hassle, they are perfect (wildlife photography with a mate).

It may come down to asking for a refund but I've made investments into accessories for the two units including car chargers, spare batteries, covers and harneses.

The reason I use Shonky is that around my part of Australia , Nhulunbuy/Gove NT, there's nothing I've seen so far that comes anywhere near having the tracks like Shonky does, could be wrong though as it's been a few years since I looked into any other software.

Cheers
    Richard

• The Following User Says Thank You to ramcd For This Useful Post:

Tiny (04-10-12)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ramcd View Post

The reason I use Shonky is that around my part of Australia , Nhulunbuy/Gove NT, there's nothing I've seen so far that comes anywhere near having the tracks like Shonky does, could be wrong though as it's been a few years since I looked into any other software.

Cheers
    Richard
    Just compared the 4 detail maps I have of your area (Oztopo3, Garmin topo 3, Tracks for Aust, & Shonky) & would have to agree with you, Shonky covers it pretty well, Garmin topo 3 goes very close, although only you could confirm that, as I'm comparing Map to Map detail, not the real terrain.

Will have to remember to bring Shonky with me when I'm in your area.

Here in Tas, Shonky doesn't get close to the detail or accuracy of OzTopo3 or Garmin Topo 3.
    Cheers, Tiny

ramcd (04-10-12)

Thanks

I remember when the beta version of Oztopo was put out I had a bit of a hassle getting the developers to even put in the Central Arhnem Hiway which if you look at it, it's the main road into the Southern and Eastern areas of Arnhem Land.

It was around the same time I came across Shonky.

Thanks again mate.

Richard

Thanks

I now have both Rino units back and they appear to be working correctly. The real test is when I load Shonky Maps into them.

The 2-way radios now have a reduced power output of 2 watts instead of the advertised 5 watt (the power output is variable).

I hope this isn't going to turn into another hassle becasue the 5 watt radio function was a big selling point for me.

Richard

Tiny (18-10-12)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Good to here that Garmin are trying to solve your issue.
    Hope it goes well for you.

That's a bugger about the radio output, the Uniden UHF's that I use are 5 watt & I really noticed the difference when I upgraded from a 2 watt set. The useable com distance in dense bush is where I notice it the most.

When you say the power output is variable, can you turn it back up to 5 watt?

Edit: Hope you don't mind me asking more questions. I use a handheld GPS & separate radios when clearing trails on horseback, so my interest is genuine, as I may in the future upgrade to something similar to the Rino, when they get the bugs sorted out.
    Last edited by Tiny; 18-10-12 at 07:47 PM.
    Cheers, Tiny

Thanks

Got the two units back from Garmin late last week and the problem has been sorted with a software upgrade but I'm going to assume it's a limited use upgrade because it's not available through the normal Garmin WebUpdate. By that I mean the upgrade is only offered to those custmers that need it.

The so called hassle turned out to be a stuff up on my part and it took me a good read of the manual to realise that as the battery power starts to get low the wattage available for the radio function also drops off, uppercut given to myself. Both Rinos where just about flat when I got them back, as soon as they where charged the 5watt option was available.

Had a chance to put the two units to work yesterday out at Cape Arhnem and they worked perfectly.

Thanks again for you input Tiny, very much appreciated.

Richard

Tiny (23-10-12)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks

Thanks for keeping us up to date Richard.
    Don't you just hate it when you get a BFO (Blinding Flash of the Obvious) in hindsight.
    Hope it keeps up to your expectations.
    Cheers, Tiny