Thread: AU2 ford BEM and PCM start up codes/smartshield

Banned
    Thanks

Default AU2 ford BEM and PCM start up codes/smartshield

When starting the engine, does the BEM (body electrics module) and PCM (powertrain control module) request the smartshield codes ( from the ignition key transponder and keypad remote) ONLY at start up OR do they re-check whilst driving?
    Last edited by splirky; 29-10-12 at 10:24 PM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have an AU11 and I was under the impression there was a 'Passive' microchip in the key like they use in animals and when you insert it into the ignition, it is 'read' by a sensor around the key lock.
    The actual remote part I thought only operates the door locks as the Red Smartshield light continues to flash untill you turn the key I think.
    In theory you should never be able to remove the key once it it turned in the lock so unless the computer turns off that sensor after starting, then it may continue to read it.
    Holden has what looks like contact pins but the Ford just does it by proximity doesnt it?
    After turning off the engine, does the smartsheild light blink then or not untill the key is fully removed??
    I will have to look tomorrow.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 29-10-12 at 09:19 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I have an AU11 and I was under the impression there was a 'Passive' microchip in the key like they use in animals and when you insert it into the ignition, it is 'read' by a sensor around the key lock.
    The actual remote part I thought only operates the door locks as the Red Smartshield light continues to flash untill you turn the key I think.
    In theory you should never be able to remove the key once it it turned in the lock so unless the computer turns off that sensor after starting, then it may continue to read it.
    Holden has what looks like contact pins but the Ford just does it by proximity doesnt it?
    After turning off the engine, does the smartsheild light blink then or not untill the key is fully removed??
    I will have to look tomorrow.
    RIGHT NOW i'm looking at my Max Ellery manual. The remote keypad sends a code to the BEM which controls the door locks ONLY so once ignition is ON the remote buttons won't work if pressed. You are right in regard to the key itself, it sends a code to the BEM and then the PCM requests that code, if the code in the key doesn't match whats stored in the BEM the engine stalls 2 seconds after startup thanks to the PCM. I have a very specific reason for asking what I have asked but WILL not speak of it here. If your curious you may send me a private message or email me at djfairmont@hotmail

Banned
    Thanks

so basically I want to know if the BEM keeps checking the key code against the code in its memory OR does it ignore the key microchip once the BEM and PCM have checked it and are happy to start the engine. I guess if the smartshield light flashed intermittently whilst driving (which it does not) then it is rechecking the key code. which says if the smartshield light is off whilst driving then the BEM is ignoring the key while its in the ignition with the engine running. Mmmm, the mind boggle's! Bottom line is I wanna know what the system is doing when the engine is running.
    Last edited by splirky; 29-10-12 at 10:26 PM.