Thread: Android Dongle

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Default Android Dongle

I have just purchased an Android dongle from eBay, essentially a Android 4.0.4 mini PC in a dongle sized unit. Designed to plug inot a HDMI port and be a media played.

Has wifi only and Micro SD slot and is USB powered.

Works suprisingly well, 1GHz uP, 2 G Ram. Working on my Samsung 59" tv in Full HD 1920 x 1080 res. Bit slow streaming but that could be because I am also loading applications on it from google play store. None the less you could copy the nights video watching to the internal or external SD cards in teh afternoon and they are there to watch in teh evening

Mine came with an "air Mouse/Keyboard" but I didnt like this as it was awkard to use. I went and bought a Soniq wireless keyboard and mouse from JbHi Fi and that works very well.

One of the main reasons for getting one, given that my Samsung Smart TV already had media player streaming ability was that this had a browser, my TV does not have one, bad samsung, Bad!!!! And I can use it on any TV in the house that has a HDMI port!

Cost was $86 posted with airmouse/keyboard but there are cheaper "just dongle" versions. Soniq Keyboaed/mouse was $36.

I am impressed.

If I can work out how to post a pic I will

No idea how to post a pic, here is a link to a similar one on ebay.....

Last edited by porkop; 23-11-12 at 02:15 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __
    Statistically, if you wait long enough, everything will happen!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (23-11-12),mkhannah (23-11-12)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Very Interesting devise porkop so now comes the silly questions so please use the K.I.S.S principle to answer if you can.
    You connect via the HDMI for the video from it to the TV but it says it needs a USB port for power, have I read that correctly? HDMI doesnt power like USB does it and HDMI from what I have seen is a 'One Way' connection unless you have specific TV that allows this feature.
    My big TV has a 'Media' USB port which 'powers' up as I have run a portable HDD/memory stick on, so that should work on this devise but other TV's dont have that feature so you would need a stand alone USB P/S (plugpack or whatever) to use, am I correct?
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Lager

Thanks

hi ya gordon,

I have tried powering it from the USB port on my telly so as when the telly is off so is the usb power but it looks as though it doesnt really like it, i believe it is a current consumption issue where the tv's usb port can not handle the current requirement of the dongle, so, that said, I power it from a spare Apple USB power adaptor and all is fine.

So Yes, you are correct.

I would suggest using a seperate power supply. Also, it has its own power socket on my unit.

Hope this helps

Porkop

• The Following User Says Thank You to porkop For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (23-11-12)

Premium Member

Thanks

Porkop, the same as my TV in that the TV must be ON which sort of defeats the purpose of recording overnight and it only works on the DVB channels too, not from the RCA/HDMI inputs.
    This is a bit like the VAST stb's apparently having a limited USB power supply.
    Thanks again.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

Porkop, I have bought one myself but I have run into a problem with it.
    Almost as soon as I linked the dongle to my Wifi, I lost the signal from the router.
    By that I mean it appears that the Wifi signal has been turned off at the router as both a Laptop and Tablet loose connection at the same time.
    Now when I turn on the Dongle, within ONE minute of it completing the startup and the WiFi icon appears, the WiFi drops out.
    To restore the wifi signal I have to disconnect the Dongle and turn the router off and on.
    I notice the dongle is very slow in starting up, is yours the same?

Premium Lager

Thanks

Are you using a separate power supply?

Dynamic ip allocation?

Mine boots in about 40 sec. On the odd occasion it reboots its self but apart from that it works very well

Not sure I can assist further??

Premium Member

Thanks

Porkop, thanks for the quick reply, I am using a USB plug pack (240V/5V) connected to the port marked 'DC' and a USB mouse in the port marked 'HOST'.
    HDMI is in place otherwise I wouldnt see the TV.
    That 'Air Mouse' keyboard near drove me nuts trying to control the cursor so for the moment its in the box.
    Took me long enough to find the miniscule blue LED light as I first thought it was under that red cover on the HOST end of the stick.
    That does flash as the book says when power is applied to the stick.

With the Wifi, I went into settings and when it found the router, I entered the password and it connected but within the minute off went the connection which I then found out was the router wasnt broadcasting as my Son lost the internet on a laptop.
    I am not too clear what 'Dynamic IP' means exactly as all I ever have done was enter passwords as needed when asked and let the system do its own thing.
    I know this is a bit silly but being within 2 metres of the router shouldnt be a problem by chance, ie too much signal?
    Porkop, again my apologies and thanks for your time.

Premium Member

Thanks

Porkop, looks like I am not meant to have such a devise work for me unfortunately, at least not THIS one anyway !!
    I emailed the seller who sent me a replacement which although starts very much faster than the first one, it still turns 'OFF" the router's WIFI when it tries to connect.
    How bloody weird is that???
    2 laptops and the Aldi Tablet all work fine on the router so why the hassle with this stick is beyond me.
    I have emailed Netcomm and maybe they have a solution..................

Premium Member

Thanks

Returned to seller for a refund, it just aint gunna work for me, DAMMITT !!!

Thanks

if anyone who has such a device has the time/desire, id be interested in knowing how responsive xbmc for android runs on these devices?

thanks in advance,
    Dam0

Thanks

I have mk802 and mk808 and xbmc works like charm.mk808 is bit faster with a better cpu and v4.1 android and i am also impressed how such a small think is so good.no problemo with wi-fi maybe cause i have a fritz box...hehe.
    Android TV boxes: Nvidia Shield U Box 4K, Rickomagic 808b, Rickomagic 802
    Raspberry Pi 2, Ouya
    AZbox Premium , dm8000 , VU+ Duo, Ultra Plus 900 and other none Linux boxes