Thread: slow wireless on certain computers

Thanks

Default slow wireless on certain computers

Hi all..
    Just wondering if anybody can help with an issue I’m having with my wireless internet.

I’ve noticed that my wireless connection to certain laptops in my house is quite slow. I ran a series of tests and I have narrowed it down to 2 laptops. I used the websites , . The laptops are sitting between 0.6 and 1.1 Mbps and then at the end of the test, it spikes up to about 30Mbps for about a quarter of a second then stops. They used to work fine and at the same speed as the other ones. I only noticed it recently though.

Desktop PC to Modem via an Ethernet Cable = 5.1 Mbps
    Smartphone to Modem via wireless = 5.1 Mbps
    Ipad to Modem via wireless = 5.1 Mbps
    Laptop1 to Modem via wireless – 1 Mbps
    Laptop 2 to Modem via wireless – 1 Mbps

I tried disabling Kaspersky Pure on both laptops but I’m still getting the same results.

I don’t know what to do next. Everything seems to work fast with the exception of the 2 laptops. They are both behaving the same way. i have tried resetting the router and both laptops and the results are still the same.

Any advice appreciated. Hopefully I can resolve it.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

What type of wireless adapters are on the lappy's and computer N or G

Could that be your problem ??
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by best4less View Post
    What type of wireless adapters are on the lappy's and computer N or G

Could that be your problem ??
    Not sure. I'll check it out tonight. they both used to work fine so something strange is going on.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have a similar problem with an Aldi tablet that is showing an 'Excellent' Wifi signal but there are times it just 'hangs there so I will be interested to see the replies.
    I have an almost new Netcomm 3G18WV router and changed the original 100mm (4 inch) 'Rubber Ducky' to one about a 300 mm (12 inch) that reputably has a 9db gain and that kicked the signal scale on the Tablet up 10db to almost a full scale reading but it still has its moments.
    I am wondering while the wifi signal is good, it cant doesnt have the 'Band Width' or ability to carry the data fully?
    Like slick1, I have 2 Lappy's that seem able to function on the Wifi ok.
    But one is an old Acer and I had to remove the Wifi card and use an external USB wifi modem as it was very unreliable.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

ok. The laptop is a Dell XPS and the description of the Wireless card is Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN.

the brand of the router is a Netgear N300 (Black in Colour) which is the standard issue by Optus.

Thanks

there are a lot of reason will cause your wireless connection problem, just try some simple method as below:
    1、Locate the Access Point in a better place: a. A little higher, so its signal can cover most area; b. It is better to locate a place which with less walls or other obstructions between the clients and the Access Point.
    2、Using different channel to avoid some interference if there are other wireless network nearby.
    3、Locate the Access Point far away other electronic device which in your home/office
    4、Change to higher gain antenna to get a stronger signal

Thanks

Or may be simply disable your WMM function at your router,
    this may be cause your IPAD or moblie device getting slowing, but your computer or latop will be fine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveneoi View Post
    there are a lot of reason will cause your wireless connection problem, just try some simple method as below:
    1、Locate the Access Point in a better place: a. A little higher, so its signal can cover most area; b. It is better to locate a place which with less walls or other obstructions between the clients and the Access Point.
    2、Using different channel to avoid some interference if there are other wireless network nearby.
    3、Locate the Access Point far away other electronic device which in your home/office
    4、Change to higher gain antenna to get a stronger signal
    Thanks for your reply. the issue isn't the signal strength. The routers position is o.k as it was working fine in the past. I have sat the ipad and the laptop next to each other about 2 meters away from the router and the ipad works fine, as in a consistant 5mbps but the laptop stutters. I dont run the test on both machines at the same time. As soon as one of them finished, i started the other one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steveneoi View Post
    Or may be simply disable your WMM function at your router,
    this may be cause your IPAD or moblie device getting slowing, but your computer or latop will be fine
    Thanks for your advice. I'll try it out tonight and let you know how i go.

Thanks

i just tried disabling WMM and it made no difference to the performance. i tested it before and after disabling with the results being the same.

Thanks

Deja vue, I had a similar problem but it was only on XP machines W7 machines and other devices operated at full available speed but anything XP was about a quarter the speed. Ultimately I (and members here) never did solve the problem save to run a cable to my XP computer (still configured that way). I will be very interested to see what conclusion you reach, who knows it might solve my problem too.

Last edited by MrRadio; 27-11-12 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks

Check if there's any available firmware update for your modem. In case, have it updated and do a complete factory reset after. Reconfigure everything and try it again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

What operating systems are these laptops using ? Are their new drivers available for the wireless components ? (check manufacturer website)

Thanks

thanks all for your reply. They are both using windows 7. I'll search for driver updates. Im not too fussed about it because my internet is still quite fast. Its only on the speed test which i notice that its slow on.

Regards

Thanks

Try booting up in safe mode (with networking) and see if speed improves. I have had a similar issue on a friends laptop and it turned out to be system/software issue. I restored to windows to earlier date and it fixed it.

thanks

turcan
    Last edited by turcan; 04-01-13 at 12:17 AM.