Thread: Networking 2 computers

Thanks

Default Networking 2 computers

Hi all,

I seem to be having an issue with networking my 2 computers. Ever sinse I’ve put WEP encryption on my wireless network and installed Kaspersky Internet security 2009 my PC (Windows XP Pro) couldn’t be accessed from my laptop which is running Vista Home Premium.

Prior to WEPing my network, I could access my PC files from my Vista Laptop. All I had to do was click on Network icon while in windows explorer and my PC files would show.

I ran the network wizard from XP and it saved the netsetup file onto a USB stick which I then ran on my vista machine. I ran the file and went through the process, then an error came up saying that it couldn’t complete the setup.

Once I clicked “Finish” I would click on Network while in Windows Explorer and my Desktop PC files would be visible. I could print and do whatever I could prior to securing the network and installing Kaspersky Internet Security 2009.

If I restart the laptop, the only way I could see the Desktop PC would be to run the netsetup again. Ive tried disabling Kaspersky but it still wont show up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Slick1

Look Here ->
    Thanks

For a start disable kaspersky firewall and try. Settings/firewall.
    Exiting program does not always restore stuff back to standard ( as I found out the hard way) windows pre kaspersky install.
    If not working, disable everything in kaspersky, easy job that will eliminate it from the issue.
    What happens if I press alt + F4?

Thanks

Thanks for that Rob. I did what you tried and it worked. I then went through the firewall settings and noticed that UDP was blocked. I allowed UDP in the firewall settings on both computers and it now works.

From what I understand, UDP is the data tranmitted between 2 computers (Well, thats what i understood it to be).

Thanks
    Slick1

Thanks

All good.
    Udp is just another comms protocol.
    What happens if I press alt + F4?