Thread: ICprog & LMedit & Jaycar MKII Gold Card how to.

Thanks

Default ICprog & LMedit & Jaycar MKII Gold Card how to.

ICprog & LMedit & Jaycar MKII Gold Card how to.

Before we start, this write up is based on the assumption that, you already have or can get your hands on a Jaycar MKII programmer or intend to purchase & build the kit from the Jaycar, AND have a current gold card or can get your hands a working file that can be read/written to the gold card with either LMedit or GGedit because the Aurora service will switched off Ird1 and Ird2 taking over completely by December 2013 or so I’m led to believe.

Recently I had the need to make another gold card, as my current goldie was on its last legs,

IE: picture constantly breaking up, going to scramble channel ECT, I’m sure most of you would have had similar experience, I can’t complain as the current gold card lasted for at least 2 -3 years, but the trouble I had was the time span since I had burnt the last card, I had to chase down the information again, I know there are a couple of tutorials floating around, But what I found in these tutorials, a couple in particular are way too technical for the average punter like myself, as detailed as they are, I and many others had difficulty working through them.

Things you need.

PC or h/d with WinXP SP2 loaded, the reason for this is I know of no information available at the moment if anyone has successfully managed to burn a Gold or Silver on Vista or Win7 (I can be corrected on this).
    1 x 16F84A blank gold card
    Jaycar MKII card programmer.
    ICprog, any version (I use 1.05D) available from ICprog website.
    ICprog WinNT/2000/XP driver available from ICprog website.
    LMedit or GGedit, freely available, just google these.
    5 x OCX files, they are
    comdlg32.ocx
    mscomctl.ocx
    mscomm32.ocx
    richtx32.ocx
    tabctl32.ocx
    GFGold v226 eeprom.hex
    GFGold v2.2.6 Dual No Updating Coco.hex
    1 x 9 pin straight through serial cable, one end of this will be connected to the 9pin com port on your PC with the other end to the Jaycar MKII programmer.

So let’s get started.

If you were like me and didn’t plan ahead you would have long ago discarded Win XP and changed over to Win7, So you need a H/D or PC loaded with Win XP operating system so Download those programs along with the OCX files.

Start by creating a new folder on the H/D and install LMedit and/or GGedit & ICprog into that new folder, I called my folder SAT TV.
    Install the WinNT/2000/XP driver into that same folder (it will become apparent later if you don’t).
    Right click on ICprog > select properties then make sure the compatibility mode is “unchecked”.
    Before you open or left click on ICprog you need to copy and paste the 5 x OCX files into the Windows system 32 folder. (I know of some people who simply installed the OCX files directly into the same folder as ICprog & LMedit and have worked fine, but they are windows system32 files and therefore should be loaded into the windows system32 folder).

To correctly register the OCX files, go to start > run> type in regsvr32 space name of ocx file, it should look like this “regsvr32 richtx32.ocx”
    Then hit enter, a confirmation box should appear stating something along the lines of “richtx32.ocx successfully registered in windows system32”.
    Do exactly the same for the 5 OCX files.

Now you can go to ICprog and open it by left clicking the mouse, if an Access Violation error appears simply make sure you have the WinNT/XP driver installed into the same folder, and you may need to register the OCX files again.

Configuration of ICprog on first time use.

The following configuration settings are what I use for ICprog version 1.05D
    in ICprog under settings click Hardware -
    programmer = JDM Programmer
    Ports = Com 1
    I/O delay = 4
    Interface = Direct I/O then click ok
    Click Settings then click options, a series of 10 tabs will appear, put a tick in the following boxes
    Confirmation tab = programming a device
    Notification tab = leave unticked
    PC tab = Enable Page-Write
    Programming tab = Verify after programming
    Shortcuts tab = leave as is all unchecked
    Misc tab - process priority = normal, Enable NT/2000/XP Driver is ticked
    Shell tab = leave as is (blank)
    Language tab = English selected
    Smartcard tab = mine is COM1 (it may be different on your pc), Protocol = multimax 214, Device = 16F84, Frequency should be set to 3.58mhz & enable DTR as VCC then click ok
    Drop & Drag tab = leave as is
    The above settings are what I'm currently using.

Creating the new Gold Card.

Plug in your Jaycar programmer using the 9 pin serial cable, one end to the programmer, the other end to the 9 pin COM port of your PC that has XP loaded.
    On the Jaycar MKII programmer you will see/find 2 x jumper selectors one setting of this allows for Phoenix mode, the other setting is for Smartmouse mode, select Phoenix mode only.
    The other jumper selector is for voltage, one is for 3.58mhz, the other for 6mhz , select the 3.58mhzt jumper setting only and leave it at that.
    You will also see on your Jaycar programmer a white button that has two positions,
    an “IN position” & an “OUT position” the importance of the two positions will become known over the next several steps.
    Using LMedit.
    As I already have a working Gold Card albeit on its last legs, I simply used LMedit to read the card,
    So, with the white button on the Jaycar programmer pushed to the IN position, click read card on LMedit and LMedit should now been reading & then displaying the files on the working gold card, you can now save that file to your pc or thumb drive as you be writing those details to the new Gold Card you are about to create.

Using ICprog to encode your new Gold Card.

Open ICprog and providing you have correctly registered the OCX files, used the configuration settings & installed the WinNT/2000/XP driver as described above you should not get any errors upon opening ICprog.

You should be able to read your new gold card and see if there is anything on it, insert in the Jaycar programmer with the switch OUT and click read all, you will most probably see all F’s after it has read the card, if that is the case then we’re in luck.

IT’S IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE THAT ALL FUSE BOXES ARE UNCHECKED, you will see these fuses on the R/H side of ICprog WDT, PWRT, CP

Step 1 – Insert your brand new blank gold card in the Jaycar Programmer, with switch OUT on the Jaycar programmer - select settings > select microchip Pic> select more>more again> then select 16F84A, select command > smartcard wizard, ICprog has an inbuilt bootlaoder with the switch of the Jaycar programmer OUT click continue and ICprog will now write the bootloader, at the end of this first step you will be prompted click continue, a drop down box will appear asking you to select GFGold v226 eeprom.hex, select the file then go to step 2.

Step 2 – With the switch now IN and the correct GFGold v226 eeprom.hex file selected from the location where you have it stored IE: in the sat tv folder or on a USB thumb drive then and only then click continue, ICprog is now loading & writing the GFGold v226 eeprom.hex, at the end of this step ICprog will again prompt you to NOW select GFG no updating COCO.hex in the drop down box that will appear, select the file and go to next step.

Step 3 – Now that you have selected the GFGold v2.2.6 Dual No Updating Coco.hex file, with the switch of the Jaycar programmer set to the OUT position click continue, providing you have no errors during the above processes your card should ready to have the details of your old gold card written to it via LMedit.

Step 4 – Place the newly created card in LMedit, with the button of the Jaycar programmer set to the IN position click read on LMedit, lmedit should now be reading the newly encoded card you should see in the fields FF’s in the plain key fields while double digit figures such 11 22 33 44 and so on should be seen in the fields of the PMK, HMK, EMK ECT.
    If this is the case, then proceed to step 5 to finally load your current details that you saved earlier and can now load on to the newly created gold card

Step 5 - Using LMedit, click & load the file from the saved location on your PC or thumb drive, insert the new gold card into the Jaycar programmer, select the IN position of the button on the Jaycar programmer and then click write, this will now write details to the gold card.

When this is completed, insert the card back into your STB and enjoy the pictures.
    Democracy & Ignorance = A Winning Combination

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to osci For This Useful Post:

mickstv (12-12-12),Mike1 (18-01-13),OSIRUS (11-12-12),Rick (11-12-12),SS Dave (12-01-13),stuballs (12-12-12)

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink

Sorry Cobber, but you're making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Just follow the instructions and wait for the card to update.

To the best of my knowledge, keys were last changed in February this year.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    Sorry Cobber, but you're making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Just follow the instructions and wait for the card to update.

To the best of my knowledge, keys were last changed in February this year.

Just what the hell are you on about????? what instructions are you talking about?????? and so what if the keys were updated in February???? in case you hadn't noticed it is December..............
    Democracy & Ignorance = A Winning Combination

• The Following User Says Thank You to osci For This Useful Post:

Rick (11-12-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Fantastic post for newbies osci well done for taking the time for putting it up, don't listen to beer4boofheads he knows everything, just trollIng as usual

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

osci (11-12-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Great Tut Osci
    Great for us who forget things when not done for 2 years LOL
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

• The Following User Says Thank You to best4less For This Useful Post:

osci (11-12-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Thanks Osci.

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Snookums View Post
    Fantastic post for newbies osci well done for taking the time for putting it up, don't listen to beer4boofheads he knows everything, just trollIng as usual
    Methinks time you got out of you're reverie and searched for this, and others, posted by our esteemed members 6 years or more ago. Has been reposted time and time again.

Last edited by beer4life; 12-12-12 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,531 Posts

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    Methinks time you got out of you're reverie and searched for this, and others, posted by our esteemed members 6 years or more ago. Has been reposted time and time again.

speak proper english "methinks" sounds like a a word a 3 year old would use or a bogan, wow 6 years ago, does everyones memory span back that far?? osci post was posted from his own experience he just merely shared what he did with others, he didnt need your 1 cent worth

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

osci (12-12-12)

• 11-01-13, 04:51 PM

Reason
    pointless trolling

Thanks

Thumbs up Correct English Methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Snookums View Post
    speak proper english "methinks" sounds like a a word a 3 year old would use or a bogan,
    Although not perfect, I'll back my English, grammar, spelling and punctuation against yours any day.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: ,
    The quotation "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." comes from 's , Act III, scene II, where it is spoken by , Hamlet's mother. The phrase has come to mean that one can "insist so passionately about something not being true that people suspect the opposite of what one is saying."
    Furthermore, the above meaning is based on a misunderstanding of the meaning of the word "protest" as it was used in Shakespeare's day, as the "protest" of the lady is not a protest in the modern sense of the word, but an affirmation or avowal.
    The phrase's actual meaning implies the increasing likelihood of suppressed feelings for the contrary of that which is being argued. I.e., the more passionate and fervent the argument, the greater likelihood the cause is a suppression of belief for the contrary argument, and the subsequent confirmation that it is the (actual) truer statement.
    The phrase is used frequently today. For example, a 2000 was titled "He Doth Protest Too Much". An unaired episode of the television program was titled "The Lady Doth Protest Too Much". wrote an article for the in 2006 called " Doth Protest Too Much." wrote a song named "Doth I Protest Too Much", for her album . In , the nominated play by , the mysterious Vanda proclaims "Methinks the lady doth protest too much!" as she pries for information regarding Thomas' defensiveness about his sexual past. In the recent block buster documenting the life of British Prime Minister an opposition MP uses the phrase "Me thinks the lady doth screech too loud," reflecting anti feminist tendencies in the House of Commons in the 1970s.
    I'm well aware of your shortcomings, but choose not to take you to task for your Pidgin English.

Thanks

Pretty much use the same method only on win7. works no problem