Thread: Intercom System

Thanks

Default Intercom System

Hi Guys
    Just looking for some ideas and feed back.
    I have a customer with an existing Audio intercom wishing to upgrade to a Video Intercom system.
    Current system is using 1 X 4 core security cable to gate controller and door station back to 2 X handsets.I have spoken to DAS and they wont guarantee any of there's it to work on anything less than twisted pair.
    What Video Intercom is available to use on 4 core cable need to open gate also 2 monitors required.

Thanks
    Sickpuppy

Look Here ->
    Thanks

There are lots of video intercom systems available that will work on 4 wires (and some on 2 wires, for that matter). It just depends on the quality of audio and video that you want to achieve (poor/good/excellent). I think what DAS meant is that for you to achieve repeatedly good/excellent results with their products, you need to use twisted pair (ie Cat 5 or 6). The twisted pairs provide a degree of shielding that blocks interference, which 4-core security cable can't provide.

Thanks

try Aiphone. They have various models that will work on 2 wires and good picture/audio.

Thanks

DAS do have a 2 wire intercom - Bticino... with gate release option on the back of door station... but I have used Aiphone in the past also.

Thanks

Door release from a door station is potentially risky. It's usually straightforward to attack a door station, apply voltage or short a connection and pop the door. Ditto standalone card-readers and PIN keypads.

The security of any system is only as strong as its weakest link. So if we're only talking about a street gate (easily jumped) or a weak door that won't stand up to a well-aimed kick anyway, then this is a non-issue, of course. However it's also a vulnerability which could be introduced to an otherwise secure environment by a lazy security installer.

• The Following User Says Thank You to downunderdan For This Useful Post:

pca15 (18-12-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by downunderdan View Post
    Door release from a door station is potentially risky. It's usually straightforward to attack a door station, apply voltage or short a connection and pop the door. Ditto standalone card-readers and PIN keypads.
    That's why most Aiphone intercoms are designed to operate a lock or motor via the room stations and not the door stations. The same reason why the Nidac Presco gear has the intelligence built into the separate control module and not the keypad. These products have a certain amount of "stealthiness" built into their design and are the ideal choice for higher-security installations.

• The Following User Says Thank You to alarmman For This Useful Post:

pca15 (18-12-12)

Thanks

absolutely agree downunderdan and alarmman - but when you do not have the cabling - trade off occurs... most systems I have come across have models with both options...

In this case a 2 wire system leaves the other 2 cores to signal the gate controller and take care of it so I should not have mentioned it
    The gate release on the back of the door stations from Bticino can instead be activated back at the PSU (or anywhere on the 2 wire bus) with the monitors also sitting on this 2 wire bus also... very straight forward.

Thanks

Have a look at Kenwei. Sold by Central Security Distribution (and others I believe) looks ideal for your small installation.

Thanks

I've tried the Kenwei on standard 4-core security cable, and found in that particular instance that it suffered from really bad interference (hum lines across the picture and a random FM radio station piggy-backed onto the audio). I re-wired with the supplier-recommended shielded cable and all the problems were fixed. As I mentioned in an earlier post, for best results you really need to use the recommended cable for the intercom you are using.