Thread: Playon Premium Lifetime less than half price for a short time good for Roku etc.

Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Default Playon Premium Lifetime less than half price for a short time good for Roku etc.

Playon Premium Lifetime less than half price for a short time good for Roku etc
    It's a bargain as you get tons of free extra content like free Hulu with UnoDNS and can even add your own flash format content
    like youtube and SOME live streams etc. by writing a plugin script easily with online and also downloadable versions of Playon Script Maker
    just by entering in the http address of the website Playon automatically detects flash objects in HTTP.

Last edited by pheggie; 17-12-12 at 05:43 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

Bagman (17-12-12),BillyGoat (17-12-12),car54 (17-12-12),myf360f1 (17-12-12),OSIRUS (17-12-12),sat 49 (18-12-12)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Can you purchase this with a Aussie PayPal account?
    Or what's the go with being outside the us?
    Cheers.
    Also the play later looks good too? Easy way to record stuff to for later on.
    Last edited by BillyGoat; 17-12-12 at 10:10 AM.

Banned

Thanks

Yes you can use aussie paypal I did. I don't think playlater is much value I have it it uses a custom wmv codec but can be converted to other formats using
    Applian Replay Converter not free but not expensive. I don't think Playlater can record live streams because they don't have a fixed length but Playlater can record netflix and hulu.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (17-12-12),myf360f1 (18-12-12)

Thanks

Hi Pheggie,

What is the content like for channels such as Food Network, PBS and Disney? Are they a live stream or what you can normally access from the Internet homepage of these channels?

I was not aware that YouTube was available on the Roku, but it seems with the lite version of Playon it's possible, I'll try this out tonight.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I have tried it previously and it didnt appeal to me, I CBF running a PC all the time for it. I thought there was a trial but cant see one ? I am sure I tried a trial version.

Administrator
    Thanks

Oops, just realised malcolmturnbull mentioned a lite version.

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 742 Posts

I have had Playon for 2 years now. [check my ABC News Plugin on the website]
    There is a trial that lasts for 2 weeks, however, unless you reformat your drive, good luck in trying to find the registry entry.
    I have a very good setup with my plugins. I have made my own. There are several packages that I have sussed out and can recommend.

EG: to watch basically every channel in USA or UK and also throw in every Main Event get scrIPTV
    For every Sporting Event and also evry channel in the world [other] Firstrowsports

Now for those that dont have playon and dont believe me, checkout this link:
    That is FIRSTROWSPORTS. If you click 'TV' you will see almost 1000 channels throughout the world. You can watch any of these channels here on your PC. Playon does away with the popups and crap that come up.

You get rid of the default set plugins....hulu etc as they will only work if your IP says your in USA.
    I have only the packages that work best for me.
    I get HD channel streaming. Have had for 2 years. .[just be nice to have them generated from OZ] Discovery and National Geo are 2 that come to mind.
    ONEHD Rock Concerts was a beauty for awhile
    I actually bragged last week at work where I watched the Manny Pac fight LIVE on my IPhone. [via my PC]

Playon sent the stream via my PC to my IPhone. 1 click in the config file to set that up.

I have 'Favourites' setup within a couple of packages so my Blonde wife can find her chick flick TV shows as they appear on the net.
    What I mean is she watches a 'torrent' download streaming without actually downloading before you can find that torrent on Kickass etc.

I pay $20 a year for Playon. I also am a Gold Member

As you can see from the Images , you just 'enable' or 'Disable' what you want. You 'load' plugins from the 'plugin' website.
    You make your own.

Highly recommend [as I have been for 2 years]
    Last edited by Saintaholic; 18-12-12 at 12:05 PM.
    Cheers, Saintaholic

• The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Saintaholic For This Useful Post:

1ynne (27-12-12),Bagman (18-12-12),malcolmturnbull (18-12-12),OSIRUS (18-12-12),sat 49 (18-12-12),th37sk (02-06-13),weirdo (18-12-12)

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

Now the other thing with Playon you have to understand, it is only a 'Shortcut Script' interface Program. The links it uses to stream are already on the net with Free access. YOU JUST HAVE TO TRY AND FIND THEM.

Playon uses Dicks like me to 'make' a script which has all the shortcut links built within it.

You just load that script [Plugin] into the Playon program and then watch it on your TV. When watching on TV, each 'link' comes up with an icon [you create in script] just like a TV channel.

You cant 'SURF' the channels like Foxtel or Freeview to see whats on. Each channel needs to 'Buffer' [like youtube] then it will play.
    Live channels are throughout the sites. You just have to find them.

I have a Premium Key which I bought. That key is on 8 Devices I have at home and Both My Kids [different addresses] have it loaded on their PC's.
    So unlike Microsoft, 1 key goes a long way.

Now, when I first got into Playon, I noticed all these coming up down the bottom of the screen. [Not all the time]
    So, being really bored one day, I googled.
    Now firstrowsports was one. The link for that is in my previous post. But here are a couple more you can check:

I know last year, there was 1 weekend where StKilda was playing and here in Brisbane you could not watch it live on any channel.
    I got it live via ESPN UK [via Mypremium.TV]

Now the other really important thing to understand is when the channel is not live, then your 'linking' to a 'server'. A popular one they use, I googled.[PUTLOCKER]
    Take a look at this:

Now I have had a quick look via EZTV and noticed the latest Hawaii 5 o episode has just been posted [22 mins ago]
    On this PUTLOCKER TV-Links website, there is already a link for you to watch via Playon.

Now, I am not bothering to try and watch it on my PC. I'll probaly have to join a forum. Wait for a password. Click 45 Popups etc etc etc.
    I'll go and watch it directly via Playon and miss all that crap, not register anywhere and save on download space on my harddrive. [well that last bit is crap as I have 8Tb of TV shows already downloaded]
    Last edited by Saintaholic; 18-12-12 at 01:24 PM.
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Thanks

Ok but for those not wanting to use their PC's you can just use your Roku right and get the selecton as advertised in the OP? Obviously you cant write scripts or anything else but there are quite a few channels availble on Roku right???

Administrator
    Thanks

You would probably have to trial it myf360f1 to understand it.

You need to have your computer on to use it. Basically, its pulling everything in via the internet, via your computer, on to your home network and on to the device like the Roku thats connected to your TV.

Yes, there are plenty of channels available directly on the Roku, Playon just accesses some others. Example, with Playon you can access Hulu free. You cant on the Roku, you have to subscribe to Hulu Plus. This is because Hulu free(not the plus version) is available to view on PC only and not televisions. Playon gets around this by sending it to your TV.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

myf360f1 (18-12-12),weirdo (18-12-12)

Banned

Thanks

Here is the official playon channel store to browse dozens of cream of the crop plugins as extras

Also if you have a ton of movies or tv shows on your PC playon allows you to share directories from your PC to Roku requires VideoLAN VLC installed.
    Then you can play your local video collection.

The Disney channel includes full length shows like Xmas specials of favourite disney cartoons and sitcoms (Requires UnoDNS as Unblockus doesn't support Disney). The food channel and PBS have full length shows
    working with UnoDNS. Great quality WS
    Last edited by pheggie; 18-12-12 at 05:38 PM.

myf360f1 (18-12-12)

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

Isn't Roku just a andriod media player?

I'd say a lot like my HiMedia media player or a playstaion, Wii or Xbox.
    My understanding is you need a PC in ANY case.
    Cheers, Saintaholic

Banned

Thanks

No it's not android or linux or windows it' uses PNX8935
    the spec sheet for the Roku's PNX8935 chip

it's Roku's own custom OS I think.

You need a PC to sign up but not to run it no PC required
    Last edited by pheggie; 18-12-12 at 06:51 PM.

OSIRUS (18-12-12),Saintaholic (19-12-12)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saintaholic View Post
    Isn't Roku just a andriod media player?

I'd say a lot like my HiMedia media player or a playstaion, Wii or Xbox.
    My understanding is you need a PC in ANY case.
    No, you definately dont need a PC. Roku XS, WD Live TV, Boxee etc all stream at up to 1080p (depending on the source). There are a number of good content providers such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Vudu and more.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (18-12-12)

Thanks

I finally got around to installing PlayOn last night. It basically gives you the full version which then reverts to the Lite version if you do not buy a key (not sure of the time period).

I initially installed the server on a laptop (wireless) but it was too slow to buffer so requests timed out. I then installed it on a mini pc (wired) and it started working.
    The youtube test was successful, so too was the various content on the default PlayOn channels.
    Two things I liked was the ability to watch Hulu (web based content) which allows me to watch current season episodes of 30 Rock. Hulu Plus only has previous seasons. I also liked the fact that HBO was open and accessible. Is this free or does it expire too? I noticed that Curb Your Enthusiasm was there and a few other shows I'd be interested in watching.
    PBS was also there but I could not find a show that I watch on the PBS IPAD app which is a woodworking program. I'll have another play when I get time, but so far it seems pretty good and having a PC on to enhance the Roku is a small price to pay.

I'll investigate the scripts next which appears to open up more options. I'd like to see if the UK's Channel 4 On Demand service is accessible via a script.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmturnbull For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (21-12-12),OSIRUS (20-12-12)

Thanks

So I am confused and that's not hard to do these days.
    If I get this to use with my roku 2xs I don't need to have a PC running to connect to?
    Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoat View Post
    So I am confused and that's not hard to do these days.
    If I get this to use with my roku 2xs I don't need to have a PC running to connect to?
    Thanks in advance.
    yes, you do need a PC running.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    You would probably have to trial it myf360f1 to understand it.

You need to have your computer on to use it. Basically, its pulling everything in via the internet, via your computer, on to your home network and on to the device like the Roku thats connected to your TV.

Yes, there are plenty of channels available directly on the Roku, Playon just accesses some others. Example, with Playon you can access Hulu free. You cant on the Roku, you have to subscribe to Hulu Plus. This is because Hulu free(not the plus version) is available to view on PC only and not televisions. Playon gets around this by sending it to your TV.
    Read this one Mr Goat, its as best as I can explain it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

BillyGoat (21-12-12)

Group 1 Owner
    Thanks

OK, I dont have a ROKU media player, but like Goat, I was confused.

Sure the ROKU streams lots of channels, like the WD Live and my HiMedea and Avermedia media players.

However, if you choose to watch Playon channels then you need to have your PC running at all times.
    The configuration is done on your PC. FOR PLAYON.
    I'm not talking about anything else.
    You can access aa variety of 'packages and channels' through plugins that you can load onto the configuration software located on your PC.

That is how I understand it .

The impression I got a few days ago, was if I had a ROKU 2 XD and bought Playon Lifetime, then without leaving a PC on I could watch channels THROUGH the Playon channels I purchased on the ROKU.
    Not the '600' channels that are in the ROKU Firmware. Only the Playon ones.
    EG: Can you watch on ROKU, the TV Channel I posted on Playon- ABC News Australia, by using the plugin I posted. Without a PC Running.

I'm not knocking ROKU. I was about to buy one from Amazon. But I'm still not convinced that Playon is watchable without a PC running. Even Playon stipulate for a ROKU you need a PC running to watch PLAYON. #from the website:

Get the PlayOn channel for Roku
    To access all the fantastic content from PlayOn , all you need is PlayOn on your PC. Then, make sure that your PC is on the same network as your Roku
    Last edited by Saintaholic; 21-12-12 at 11:37 AM.
    Cheers, Saintaholic