Thread: Blacksmiths Bellows circa 1888

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

Question Blacksmiths Bellows circa 1888

A good friend of mine, has a few vintage Blacksmiths tools he has grown to old to need anymore.

He has asked me to find out what they may be worth so he can put them up for sale for pickup in Central North Tasmania.

The first is a large Bellows made by Alldays & Onions Ltd, Birmingham England. The date stamp on it is 1888

Anyone here got any clues what this item would be worth in working condition?
    I've done some research but the prices are in Pounds or Euros.

I took a crappy photo on my phone which I wont bother posting.

This is what they look like, Image courtesy of Havelock Museum (it says on their site it is OK to use their image)

For info about the manufacturer,

My old bushy friend is going to take pictures of the real item & other items before posting them here for sale.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Alldays and Onions, of Great Western and Matchless Works, Small Heath, Birmingham, was a manufacturer of motor lorries, cars and vans, cycles and motorcycles, complete outfits for foundries and workshops, hammers, fans, hearthes, forges, cranes, pulley blocks, etc.

The company resulted from a merger by William Allday and Sons Ltd with John C. Onions Ltd in 1885, in 1889 the company reorganised as Alldays and Onions Pneumatic Engineering Co. of Birmingham. The company, Alldays and Onions Pneumatic Engineering Co, was registered on 18 December, to take over and extend the business of Alldays and Onions, manufacturers of bellows, portable forges etc.

They actually made cars in the early 1900's.

I managed to come across of one set of their bellows for sale in the UK and it was about 100 pound , roughly $155 Australian dollars.

I'll do a bit of searching and see if I can find anything else but if there is nothing to compare to in Australia its value is going to be based on what someone is prepared to pay for it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Tiny (19-12-12)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,650 Posts

You were right, "value is going to be based on what someone is prepared to pay for it."

My friend found a collector thru another friend who has offered to pay $400 for the bellows, I told him to take it as he is probably the one & only buyer he will find in the north of Tas.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."