Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse AVN827GA SatNav

Thanks

Default Eclipse AVN827GA SatNav

Greetings, new member here seeking contacts with other owners of the Eclipse AVN827GA SatNav unit made by Fujitsu Ten, to discuss features, updating and maps etc., that could be a benefit to each other.

Cheers,

Avsec

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Default Eclipse AVN827ga

Having purchased a new Subaru with the Eclipse system installed I'm glad to see another member with the same unit. I've only owned mine for 2 months and already looking at updating firmware and map (Australia)

Thanks

G'day rknsw, likewise also have a Subaru Outback. Upgraded maps with 2012 Q3 just before Christmas, now have my daughter's street on the GPS where before it was in the middle of a paddock. The original map that came with the unit/car was 2010 Q3, which I felt was a bit poor on Subaru's part, seeing that the car was a 2012 build. When pushed for a reason why, Subaru Australia advised that was the only maps available when the units were fitted here in Australia. It appears that the units are not "factory fitted" but classed as a "built in aftermarket". Noticed that Subaru now have updated their SatNav web page to include the "AVN" units which links to Naviextras' site for map updates.

I'm having a problem with the unit finding GPS signals when first driving off. It's an intermittent problem and could take a few minutes/kilometres or up to 15 minutes and some distance before locking on to satellites and displaying my location. Have you on any occasions struck this problem?

Regards,

Avsec

Thanks

My supplied map is Jan 2012 which I believe it is based on much older map data given the errors. My Subaru service agent also gave the same line on the unit not being factory fitted. I also have the intermittent signal loss for up to a few minutes. The initial GPS signal recognition on start up I have found is locked in quicker when the vehcile is stationary. If I drive off straight away before the unit 'finds itself' the GPS signal loss is longer or drops out.

The signal reception in my view is ordnary with a higher number of lost signal calls compared to my TT1. What I also find annoying is the minimal warning time before a change in direction. I run my on map route preferecne on 'easy' in preferecne to 'fast'. Fast misses straight forward routes preferring routes with higher speed limits and apears to ignoe strrets where no speed limit is known.

On the postive side I do like the warning function especiallywith speed camera and the higher number of warning beeps the unti makes if your spped is above the legal limit.

Thanks

I've checked my system software and must correct my earlier comment. The map is in fact 2010 Q3 and the car was purchased October 2012. Since my last response the frequency of lost signal is has increased . The dealer doesn't want to know about it and I haven't approached Subaru for I'm sure they don't give a rats otherwise they would have addressed the outdated maps and signal issue by now.

NEVER AGAIN WILL I PURCHASE A CAR WITH AN INBUILT NAV UNIT

Thanks

rknsw, can I ask about your lost of GPS signal? Does this only occur at start up or when you are already underway?

After six months of driving the Outback, very happy with the vehicle, no problems except with the lost of GPS signal. What I have observed is that on majority of times it will display the correct location, direction etc., when leaving the garage but after about a kilometre/minute or so, it tells me "lost satellite reception". The map will continue to display the road currently on till it reaches the next major intersection then goes into "pause" mode as if it is lost. Sometimes it will find itself within a short distance or the lost satellite symbol will show and could remain so for up to 15 minutes. Once established all works well as per the book, never noticed it losing the GPS signal after that for the remainder of the trip.

It would seem that both Subaru Australia and the dealer's service departments are not up to speed with these units. Have contacted my original dealer and two other dealers within my area about the first service and about the lost signal and all expressed some hesitation about their knowledge with this SatNav unit.

Had the car's first service and decided not to push the lost singal issue and just asked to note it if it occured on the test drive. Service record shows no GPS faults found. Prepared to wait this problem out till there is more experience in the workshop to handle these units.

Would be interested in what you have observed with the lost signal situation.

Regards,

Avsec

Thanks

Hi Avsec, since my last post my system is behaving more along the line of yours. The GPS is dropping out now more frquently after start up and no matter if under cover or in the open and irrespective of weather be it clear sunny or overcast.. The drop out ocurrs about 1-2 mins from ignition start up and dropout lasts 1 - 3 minutes subject to the vehilce being stationary or moving when trying to reconnect to satellite..I'm wondering if the Traffic Reporting System impedes signal start up as both are competing for memory. The map issue is the same as you have reported. I'm looking at tryng to update the system software, matter of getting the time and confidence, the ramifications could be costly.
    The dealer expresses emapathy but shys away from any responsibiity

Thanks

G'day rknsw, may have found the answer to our problem or rather somebody else has found out why we are having problems with the slow GPS lock on.

See my post on Whirlpool - Subaru

It would appear that whoever installed the Eclipse units, didn't read the installation instructions which clearly recommends that the GPS antenna be keep away from the unit by at least 20 inches otherwise the reception will drop.

See this link to the Eclipse website to download the Install and full Operating manual.

Would love to have the guts to remove the dash surrounds and have a look to see if my antenna is sitting on top of the unit.

Avsec

Thanks

Duplication
    Last edited by Avsec; 15-03-13 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Duplication

Thanks

Great feedback Avsec, I will have a look for my GPS antenna placement and hope to find the feed under the front floor carpet going to the left hand side; failing that I will remove the glove box and look above and to the right and hope to see the antenna base plate and be able to reach and relocate, wishful thinking but will give it a go. I alos sned a support enquiry off to Eclipse, waiting on a response.

I wonder if the antenna cable is attached to the ground base plate, this would explain the poor reception or alternatively they may have failed to properly secure the antenna and through normal driving movement the cable has repositioned itself closed to the unti which may explain why I had no GPS signal issues initally and now after 7k kilometres I'm now experiencing more frequent and loner signal loss.

Will check out under the dash over the weekend but will not be removing the fEclipse facia panel,the Subaru and most other makers interior and dash panels scratch easily, already know this from experince. 8-(

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,917 Times in 1,280 Posts

try setting the time zone to your location not auto that made a big difference on my alpine unit witch has the same gps software

SS Dave

Thanks

Sorry, should have included these images in my earlier post. Only just worked out how to do it. Was able to copy them from the other posts.

The photo shows the GPS antenna sitting on top of the Eclipse unit.

Apparently the diagram is taken from a USA edition of the 2010+ Outback workshop manual. The GPS antenna sits on top of the metal plate that is screwed to a section behind the instrument cluster which would be about the 20 inches from where the SatNav is installed. Not sure if a similar part is available for Australian Outbacks.

Avsec

Thanks

Update on Subaru GPS antenna woes. Decided to bite the bullet and with the help of my son, easily removed the SatNav dash surround and sure enough there sat the GPS antenna on top of the unit which I think is the cause of the why the SatNav takes a time to lock onto a position. The antenna sits on a very thin plate approx 70mm square that looks to be stuck down on the metal top of the unit. The antenna's coax lead appears to be bundled behind at the back of the unit and looks to be long enough so it can be moved a fair distance.

Next step is to reposition the antenna so as to reduce the interference as per the installation instructions. Following on from the diagram in my previous post, will make up a metal plate to install as the base for the antenna. Went to my local Bunnings last nigh and bought a metal plate 75mm X 60mm X 2mm with a right angle return of 40mm. It has a series of pre drilled holes in both faces. Will most likely have to cut some of the 40mm return according to the diagram for it to fit in the space provided.

Over the weekend will take it real slow and remove the instrument cluster and do a bit of trial and error fitting the base plate.

Will post an update, so fingers crossed.

Avsec
    Last edited by Avsec; 22-03-13 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rknsw View Post
    Will check out under the dash over the weekend but will not be removing the fEclipse facia panel,the Subaru and most other makers interior and dash panels scratch easily, already know this from experience. 8-(
    It's fairly easy to remove the facia panel. No tools needed. Make sure the compartment is empty first (mine was still full of CDs), it's held in place by six clips, two at the very top behind the top of the air vent, two just under the air vent control wheels and two at the very bottom. With the help of my son on one side and me on the other, used our fingers inside the vents, hooked onto a small ledge and pulled out. Once the first clip gave way just work your way around to the remaining clips and Bob's your uncle or aunty as the case maybe.

If you are worried about scratching the side of the instrument cover, put some tape down the side to protect it.

Avsec

Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 862 Posts

If I may add something:
    Using a metal base plate to mount, or to mount the antenna onto a metal surface is not something I can recommend.
    The external receivers use an etched antenna and the circuit board is the ground shielding unwanted signals.
    This system is fairly optimised and installing the antenna onto metal can interfer with the signal reception due to so called gost signals reflected by the metal.
    It is basically the same like in a city with a lot of tight roads and high skyscrapers - the signal bounces off and becomes useless.
    If possible the best location would be the antenna glued to the underside of the dash board, so only a layer of plastic is between the antenna and the windscreen.
    Of course perfect would be on top of the roof but you'll only find that in luxury cars.
    Make sure the receiver is as horizontal as possible.
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Thanks

Relocating the GPS antenna for the AVH827GA SatNav seems to have done the trick. Appears to be successful without any delay on start up. Only time will tell. If any other person is interested, please PM me direct and will take them thru the steps.

All parts went back into place without any marks or scratches. Very happy with the neat job done if I say so myself.

One thing I did discover was that the antenna was not magnetic, as outlined in the fitting instructions, and was stuck to the base plate by double sided tape. I used double sided tape to secure it to the new base plate which is horizontal and just located near the underside of the plastic dashboard.

Avsec

Thanks

Well done Avsec, your persistance has paid dividend. My attempt to view the unit via golve box was futile

Thanks

rknsw, I bet you pounds to peanuts that your antenna is located on the top of your unit.

Anyhow, an updated on how the GPS is performing since moving the antenna. There has been only a couple of times that I get the "Lost Satellite" message after driving out of the garage and never when the car has been parked in the open. However, when it does occur, it finds itself within a couple of seconds and nothing like the long periods as before. So that's a big improvement on what was happening. If there is any drop in performance will post a further update.

Avsec

Thanks
    Thanked 1,796 Times in 862 Posts

You might want to check the satellite reception while chossing a place for the antenna.
    As long as you are fine no problem, but for all that need to place the antenna elsewhere a check while placing the antenna can save a lot of time later on.
    Sometimes it is just a metal bar in the dash and a few cm to the right or left the reception might be much better.
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

Thanks

Avsec

My reception issue continues however after the intiail hiccup it performs well. Travelled to Sydney from Newcastle and later north to Coffs H. My bigger concern is just how out of date my road map accuracy is and speed camera, school, red light and round about locations.

With your map route setting do you use, I tried 'green' and 'short' and have stuck with 'fast' being the most practical

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast