Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to watch Netflix in Australia Part 2

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default How to watch Netflix in Australia Part 2

* Major update 14/4/15 - All that is now required is to sign up with Netflix Australia. Then add your DNS solution (unotelly, unblockus, getflix etc) and your Australian Netflix account now has the US library.

Due to some changes and coming across better options, I have closed my original thread and opened this one to make the process as easy and crystal clear as I can.

Firstly, there are many devices that you could use to access Netflix. They are listed here

Obviously I am not going to write a set of instructions for each device, nor do I have one of each device. Two devices I do have are the and the both of which I would recommend for Netflix and other services.

Firstly, you need to realise that Netflix is NOT available in Australia for copyright reasons. It is geographically blocked, meaning that any attempt to sign up from Australia will be blocked.

1. Sign up with a provider that supplies a DNS solution to help us get around this geographical block. Two services I have used successfully are and , the choice is yours. Both provide a one week trial, so I encourage you to take the time to try both services and go with what A: Performs best for you, and B: You find easiest to use.

2. Once you have signed up with a provider, its time to put their service to work. This is going to vary depending on the device. As I mentioned, I have both a Roku and a WD Live TV receiver. These 2 receivers have one notable difference , and it affects the way you need to setup the service.

a) Roku devices do NOT have a DNS section in the menu. This means that in order to use a Roku, you need to enter the DNS providers details in your modem and or router. Usually, if you login to your modems setup page these settings are reasonably easy to find and it is a simple matter of unticking "get automatically from ISP" and entering the primary and secondary DNS addresses supplied to you by your DNS providers. Both and provide instructions on their site.

b) WD Live TV receivers do have a DNS section in their menu and instead of entering the DNS in your modem/router, you can enter it in to the device instead (you can still enter it in the modem/router if you want instead).

As a brief description, instead of your modem automatically being issued DNS addresses by your internet service provider, you are specifying which addresses your modem is to use. These addresses are owned by Unblockus/Unotelly and for certain websites and services (not all) you will be diverted through their DNS in the United States. This has the effect that providers like Netflix think you are located in the USA.

Once you have entered their DNS settings, check that they are working. The easiest way I have found is by going to on your computer. If its NOT working you will see a message saying the service is not available from your country. If you can pull up the normal netflix page, you are good to go.

Both the Roku and WD receiver provide access to a number of different services, some free, some subscription based. A number of subscription based services such as Hulu, Amazon and Vudu require you to have a United States credit card that is registered to a United States residential address. Although you can sign up to Netflix with an Australian credit card, I would recommend you sign up to ALL services with the one credit card. Its far easier and less confusing.

3. Go to . You will see a wide array of products, but the one we want is on . Its called Unblock US content prepaid card and it comes in values of $25, $50 and $100. You will need to decide what value card you need to purchase. These cards cannot be reloaded or topped up, so should you use up the balance you will need to buy another one. Its worth nothing that once you have Netflix and Hulu Plus up and running, you can keep them active by buying giftcards off the internet. Its also worth nothing that (available on both Roku and WD) allows you to rent all new release movies from the US in high definition, so if you want to give the local video shop the flick for new stuff its probably wise to go for the $100 card.

Once you have purchased your credit card from buyfrompowerseller, he will email you the details of your new US credit card. He will also provide a link to you for a page that allows you to register the card to a US address. This is important and must be done, otherwise some services will reject you.*

The easiest way to get an address is to use Google. Go to and type in "property for sale oregon" or "property for sale delaware" and find a property for sale through a real estate site that shows the property address. I have used Delaware and Oregon because these 2 US states do not charge sales tax......if you use another state you will be charged tax.

Once you have found yourself a property address, WRITE IT DOWN. You will also need a valid US phone number, so jot down the phone number of the estate agent selling the property. Then go to the link supplied to you by the credit card seller, and register the card to the US address and phone number you just wrote down. Its easier to use your own name, that way you wont forget it. But if you are extremely paranoid, you could use a false one but why bother ? The Australian Government Attorney General department has already made a statement that it is NOT illegal to access services like Netflix from the USA.

4. Once you have succesfully registered your credit card, you are ready to sign up to whatever services you like. On the Roku, I recommend Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon and VUDU. I recommend the same on the WD but they dont have Amazon.

costs $8 USD per month. As you are billed in USD, its around $7.60 or something at the moment. Thats is for unlimited viewing off their service.
    is also $8 USD per month and includes unlimited viewing. It does have a small number of ads.
    is a service similar to Netflix and costs $79 a year. They also have a 30 day trial, so check it out before buying.
    has all new release movies available for hire in SD and HD. No need to go out and hire new
    releases, do it from your armchair.

As I previously mentioned, to save running your credit card balance down too much you can use Giftcards to keep your Netflix and Hulu accounts in credit. You can sometimes find them on Ebay, or you can buy them from Mr Powerseller using your own credit card or paypal, though he does have a mark up on the price.

I cant remember where I last topped my Hulu sub up, it was either here or through one of their resellers listed at the bottom.

You can buy a Netflix gift card here and pay with your Australian credit card from memory.

* Roku devices also need to be registered with Roku before use and a valid US credit card registered to a valid US address is required.

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

allover (03-12-13),beat2l (04-01-13),best4less (01-12-14),billy t (19-05-14),charboull (12-01-13),croozer (09-01-18),efab (04-01-13),Grofaz (06-01-13),JasonC (18-09-13),JRH (05-06-13),kevin1341 (04-01-13),LeroyPatrol (12-02-13),lewi (05-01-13),Lobby Dosser (25-02-13),milnev (08-01-15),Mr Guppy (29-01-13),myf360f1 (04-01-13),Nathan Explosion (04-01-13),ol' boy (12-02-13),oscillator_1 (09-01-13),OSIRUS (04-01-13),sat 49 (04-01-13),sdrambo (04-07-14),Seymour Butts (04-01-13),tollspd (04-01-13)

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks

Please note, I made the above post as a source of information for others. If you have an issue, PLEASE START YOUR OWN THREAD. General questions about what I have just posted are fine, issues with setting it up require you to make your own thread. Posts that ignore this will be deleted and you will be asked to start your own thread. Far too much information ends up getting lost tacked on to threads like this and makes it hard for others to search threads looking for answers to their problems.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

kevin1341 (04-01-13),kramer (10-01-13),OSIRUS (04-01-13),sublib25 (06-01-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

Thread stickied ( forgot to do it earlier )

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

milnev (09-01-13),OSIRUS (09-01-13)

Thanks

Hi all,I don't if anyone else is aware but Unblock US now gives you the option to change your preferred country when watching Netflix. Theres 10 countries to pick from. All I did was change it in my unblock us account ,changed my Apple TV to the same country and Bobs your Aunties live in lover ! Have always had mine as US so now I"m watching UK content. Only trouble is I"m turning into a bloody couch potato Here's more info

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Hi all,I don't if anyone else is aware but Unblock US now gives you the option to change your preferred country when watching Netflix. Theres 10 countries to pick from. All I did was change it in my unblock us account ,changed my Apple TV to the same country and Bobs your Aunties live in lover ! Have always had mine as US so now I"m watching UK content. Only trouble is I"m turning into a bloody couch potato Here's more info
    That was good timing ...not !
    I just finished up with Unblockus today and joined Unotelly just to get the BBC

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

Default Using an aussie credit card with netflix etc.....

I am assuming you have a dns provider like unblock.us or unotelly as per sanity's tut....

First you need to find a usa address that will work with your credit card.

The address verification system checks the zip code matches the postcode on the credit card billing address supplied by your bank (4 out of 5 numbers works)

My aussie credit card billing address postcode is boulder wa 6432, so i picked Kansas City Mo 64132 and chose a cheap hotel as my 'usa billing address'. Using your postcode and inserting a '1' in the middle seems to come up with a valid usa zip most of the time. search on google maps for a suitable address with your new zip code.

Open a USA Paypal account using your credit card details and your chosen usa address (you must use a different email to your aussie paypal account).

Open an amazon account using your credit card and chosen address OR Your new paypal account (If you want amazon prime).

Netflix

Use your credit card details and your chosen usa address.

Vudu

Use your credit card details and your chosen usa address.

Hulu Plus

Use your newly created usa paypal account - aussie credit cards wont work (hulu seem to have stricter AVS settings implemented).

Amazon Prime

Use your credit card details and your chosen usa address or your usa paypal account

Roku Account

Use your credit card details and your chosen usa address or your usa or aussie paypal account

All tested and working perfectly using unblock.us and aussie visa card AND Woolworths prepaid master card.

I set it all up with my westpac visa card, then when the woolies prepaid card turned up i changed the details to suit.

Much easier than using gift cards etc and you can have all services charged to your aussie credit card(some directly and some via paypal). I suggest using the woolies card as it is very easy to recharge and keep an eye on the balance.
    Last edited by hoe; 12-02-13 at 02:05 AM.

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

best4less (01-12-14),efab (13-02-13),mkhannah (12-02-13),ol' boy (11-12-13),Twoshots (09-07-16),WhiteOx (23-02-13)

Thanks

My USA ccard now not working with Netflix.

Didn't want to use my au ccard might have to now.

Thanks

Try

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post

All tested and working perfectly using unblock.us and aussie visa card AND Woolworths prepaid master card.

Hi Hoe
    the link you gave is a pommy one, not an aussie one, is this correct

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by efab View Post
    Hi Hoe
    the link you gave is a pommy one, not an aussie one, is this correct
    i didnt post a link, its that bloody forum thing.

i used an aussie woolworths reloadable prepaid mastercard.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

efab (23-02-13),OSIRUS (13-02-13)

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Using your postcode and inserting a '1' in the middle seems to come up with a valid usa zip most of the time.
    Thanks for this tip hoe, by doing that I was able to download and install the Netflix app for windows media center
    I'd been trying to figure out why I couldn't download it from the Microsoft store, by inserting a '1' my cc became a US issued card and was allowed to download.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

I have just signed up to netflix using my wdtv streaming as this has the unblockus dsn details and used an aussie credit card. All is good and I am on the 1 month free trial. I have also purchased one of the $25/year codes but can't access netflix to put it in.
    As there is nowhere I can find on the wdtv to enter the membership area, I tried my computer but of course it does not have the USA dns so I can't access it there.

Reading above it says you can use unblockus dsn on either the router or the wdtv but I can't see how I can access netflix without using the router only.

Am I missing something really obvious?

Premium Member
    Thanks

you can set up a pc by following the instructions here:

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

efab (23-02-13),mandc (23-02-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

you can set up a pc by following the instructions here:

D'OH...thanks mate..will have a read

p.s. All good...Thanks again Hoe...been reading so much about netflix today that I missed this obvious step
    Last edited by mandc; 23-02-13 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks

Can anyone confirm if you can use a dns provider like unblock.us or unotelly on Optus cable Internet?
    Thanks

Thanks

Vudu does not work with my Entropay Visa Card anymore.

Thanks

netflix working for you guys on the roku?

Mines working on PC but stuck on "initialising" on the roku

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 958 Posts

Working OK.....
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

Question

Hi,

I signed up for netflix and all it asked for was my cc details and a zip code (no other address details). I've been reading lots of different posts and some people are saying they have just used a US zip code, whereas others say they used their aussie post code, followed by a 0 (or some variation which coincides with a us zip code).

I'm just on my free trial now, so I haven't been billed yet, but should it be ok that I have used a US zip code and my aussie cc, or will I need to change my zip code to match my cc billing address?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cristella View Post
    Hi,

I signed up for netflix and all it asked for was my cc details and a zip code (no other address details). I've been reading lots of different posts and some people are saying they have just used a US zip code, whereas others say they used their aussie post code, followed by a 0 (or some variation which coincides with a us zip code).

I'm just on my free trial now, so I haven't been billed yet, but should it be ok that I have used a US zip code and my aussie cc, or will I need to change my zip code to match my cc billing address?

Thanks!
    If your free trial is working don't worry, it should be fine.

• The Following User Says Thank You to weirdo For This Useful Post:

Cristella (21-05-13)

• Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast