Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WDTV SMP - Tips and tricks

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 836 Posts

Default WDTV SMP - Tips and tricks

Inspired by detailed threads on other devices, I thought I would add a contribution to those new or otherwise to the wdtv smp and save them going through various threads and forums on how to tweak everything for Oz to get the most out of the box. Its not means complete but a good starting point for those who have got the box plugged in and connected to the internet. You will need a dns service that allows you to get overseas content. You will also need a hard drive for storage connected to the box. And a pretend US address.

When you first connect, and are not using a dns service, you will get the basic services for the Australian package. This will have abc iview, and is only available in Australia. So you need to save this to favourites, by highlighting the channel and pressing options and OK.

Now to get the US services. Most people us unblock-us or unotelly and the instructions are on their sites as to how to get it up and running on the wdtv, you can't really go wrong. Once done, you reset the location in the setup menu of the wdtv and you will be in the US.

So then you just save whatever US services you want in your favourites just like you did with abc iview.

Huluplus is the trickiest to setup an account with and there are other threads about that, but it is relatively easy. A very popular service.

CinemaNow can be done with Oz credit cards no problem, and has a great option where if your bandwidth struggles it will download the film/tv show to your harddrive. You can start to watch it once the downloading has reached a certain point and it will keep downloading in the background. I did find this service slow and stuttery, however the downloading fixed that. I downloaded a 60 min episode of Gordon Ramsay as a sample, I could watch it 10 mins into the download.

Netflix I had no trouble signing up with, and you get the first month free. I've watched a few things and the quality is excellent, no buffering. Another very popular service.

VUDU Movies, again no problems signing up. They have a great offer on now where you get $5.99 credit for joining, plus 10 free movies in your library to watch anytime. The 10 movies are prepicked and not new but you should find a couple at least worth watching.

The other region which was my main interest is the UK. I was with unblock us, but changed to unotelly because you can access BBC Iplayer. Again, it was just a question of following the instructions on their website and resetting the location on the box, and you are in the UK. If you are not interested in joining/paying for any of the movie services, you can get access to 10 BBC channels catchup services for free which is a huge bonus for the box.

That's basically it. I pay my subscription to unotelly and can access all the services I can get from Oz, USA and the UK. I run the latest firmware. Remember you do need the harddrive to save the channels as favourites and you access these from the startup screen by pressing the blue button on the remote, not from the favourite option in the actual services menu. Both unblock us and unotelly have trials so see what suits you best - you will find one better than the other depending on your preferences and equipment.

Also there is a hidden google browser in the wdtv, just go to setup, then about, then press the search key at the bottom right corner of the remote. You need a keyboard (ideally wireless) and its slow going, but it's there.

Any other tips or information please post!
    Last edited by mkhannah; 08-01-13 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

allover (09-01-13),Bagman (08-01-13),beat2l (10-01-13),billy t (02-03-13),car54 (11-01-13),kevin1341 (09-01-13),OSIRUS (08-01-13),pheggie (08-01-13),sat 49 (09-01-13),stenkir (09-01-13),weirdo (08-01-13)

Look Here ->
    Banned

Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 886 Posts

Thanks mkhannah is their a weblink or app name you can post about getting access to 10 BBC channels catchup services for free which is a huge bonus for the box to learn more about. I don't own a WDTV SMP but maybe tempted?
    Last edited by pheggie; 08-01-13 at 07:12 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pheggie View Post
    Thanks mkhannah is their a weblink or app name you can post about getting access to 10 BBC channels catchup services for free which is a huge bonus for the box to learn more about. I don't own a WDTV SMP but maybe tempted?
    I learnt from a helpful guy at whirlpool. You need to use unotelly, which you can sign up to for a free trial. Unblock us doesn't work.
    Sign up to them and follow the instructions which are straight forward until you get to the global dns page. Rather than enter Sydney, put in the dynamic one from Dublin. Then when you do a reset you should get the UK services. It really takes less than 5 minutes to do.
    I used to get the bbc iplayer through my logitec revue, which had the channels live, but sadly it's no longer supported and I only get the catch up service on it like the wdtv. But there are heaps of shows, especially movies as well, so if you don't want to pay anything for movie services other than the DNS at $5 a month you get a bargain.
    If you go down that path and get stuck there will be an easy solution.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (08-01-13),pheggie (08-01-13)

Banned

Thanks

Is it safe to update to WDTV Live SMP latest firmware to view this free UK stuff, I've ordered one now.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Yep no probs. You can always downgrade but I don't think there is any point at the moment. It's not the only device that can get bbc, what else do you have?
    Last edited by mkhannah; 08-01-13 at 09:50 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

pheggie (08-01-13)

Banned

Thanks

I can already get the iplayer on several devices what got my attention is you can watch live UKTV on WDTV I thought you said unless I misunderstood? Silly me I can give it to a relative if I'm wrong about that.
    Last edited by pheggie; 08-01-13 at 10:35 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

You can't get the uktv channel that is on foxtel. You can get nearly all the bbc programs on bbc iplayer. I would guess that would cover a lot of channel uktv anyway. But no uktv channel.
    I know wdtv can't get itv player but maybe one of your other devices can via unotelly, then you have the uk basically covered.

Banned

Thanks

The good old fashioned PC can get most of it via unotelly I can get uk Tvcatchup with lots of uk channels live on PC I was dreaming that WDTV had a TVcatchup app LOL. Not really after UKTV channel I could subscribe to Foxtel on xbox 360 for that but not that fussed.

Thanks

So what is the best device to stream iplayer to the TV? A PC?

Banned

Thanks

A PC streams low quality SD most of the time other devices stream HQ SD or HD if bandwidth is up to it. Not much difference I find really

Thanks

Thanks. I was a happy chappy last night, I have a wdtv live gen 2 and I flashed to the latest beta firmware by WD which adds BBC iPlayer. I used unblock US. It works perfectly, even BBC HD No buffering

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
    Thanks. I was a happy chappy last night, I have a wdtv live gen 2 and I flashed to the latest beta firmware by WD which adds BBC iPlayer. I used unblock US. It works perfectly, even BBC HD No buffering
    Good stuff. There are a few different models of the wdtv and the older ones have a lot more options with both standard and custom firmware. I'm just sticking with the latest model. The prices for them are getting quite reasonable too.

Thanks

I have the older model that can be flashed to wdlxtv which I did but now I'm back to official wd beta firmware as I wanted to have BBC iPlayer. Mine is not with the built in wifi modem.

Banned

Thanks

mkhannah I upgraded online to latest firmware and can get iview netflix huluplus and vudu but can't get iplayer to show up even with a uk vpn direct connection. reset location says united kingdom but reset doesn't get iplayer. Can you have a look and tell me the firmware version on your wdtv live streaming please.

Last edited by pheggie; 10-01-13 at 05:56 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to pheggie For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (10-01-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks

My firmware is 1.12.14. The only way so far that I have read and been able to get bbc iplayer is with unotelly and their dynamic dns from Dublin or Europe. I'm not saying that it is the only way, but so far it is the only way that I know. I tried other ways with no joy.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mkhannah For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (10-01-13)

Banned

Thanks

That's the firmware I have. When I tried dublin DNS wdtv reported couldn't identify location when resetting location what country did your's say?
    I wouldn't recommend redoing it if it's all working by the way for you. Maybe you should turn off firmware updates as well.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Have you reset your ip on the unotelly page? You should try that, I think the option is on the left on the get started page.

Banned

Thanks

Just done that but I'm going to return it and get a refund from jbhifi as I tested the composite cable and get a blurry color double TV image on my LCD composite input and LCD works well from other devices with same cable.

Thanks

It's weird that you guys can't get iplayer app on your wdtv. After I flashed to the wd bea firmware on my older wdtv live gen 2 the app is there and I just use unblock US to view the programs...

Thanks

I bought a WD Live Streaming, updated the firmware to 1.12.14, signed up for a Unotelly trial and regardless of what proxy I use whenever I reset location it tells me the device is in the US? Is this the same behaviour others are seeing?

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast