Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Give aways and promotions

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Give aways and promotions

Recently Austech has spent quite a bit of money on updating the site, moving to a managed dedicated server and many paid methods of getting more users and more interest to the site. I mentioned a few months ago that in the new year we would be looking at going back to using a few "tried and true methods" of promotion in the form of giveaways.

Those that have been here a number of years will remember the high level of interest and even server overload from previous giveaways ! So we are looking at doing this again this year.

What we are looking for is companies/business to give away an item or items over a certain amount of $$ worth (so no, you wont get a free plug for giving away a single $4 usb drive). What we will be doing is a mail out to all members, all 55,000 registered accounts except for banned and/or spammers. Obviously not all of them will be active and some will have their settings not to receive email from us (though by default accounts are set to receive email from us).

We then do a mail out advising members we are going to be doing some free giveaways, the benefits of being in it etc etc and that they can change their user CP settings if they dont want to be involved. When we do the giveaway, we email all participating members and advise them of what we are giving away, who the sponsoring business or company is that is in partnership with us in the giveaway and their website, and how the forum member can be in line to win the item.

In the past, we have for example sent out an email saying that you have to be on the site at a certain time, on a certain day and wait for a thread called " Giveaway " or similar to appear and be poster number 30 for example.

Its a bit of fun and is of benefit for everyone - Austech gets a bit of publicity by emailing all users and getting a few dormant members back on the site. The product supplier gets a plug to all users for giving away the item - this is a very cost effective form of advertising !! Austech users of course get the chance of a free prize. As in the past, Premium Members will get double the chance of winning as thanks for their support.

This isnt something we plan on doing next week, a bit of work is involved, particuarly in getting a mailing list up to date. But I thought it worthwhile posting up now to try and gauge some interest from potential business donaters that might be interested in providing something to giveaway.

All comments/questions welcome, we intend to make it a success for everyone so we will take everyones comments onboard.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

dashinson (02-11-14),exited (19-01-13),joezep (31-10-14),kevin1341 (18-01-13),mickstv (19-01-13),mtv (19-01-13),optus (09-06-13),OSIRUS (18-01-13),stuballs (24-01-13),weirdo (19-01-13),WhiteOx (19-01-13)

Look Here ->

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

I'd be interested in taking part in this, I don't have any advertising budget to speak of but have some product that may interest the user base, have you got a link to past promos you've done so I can get an idea of what you did (don't recall getting an email about it)?

• The Following User Says Thank You to jok11n For This Useful Post:

Seymour Butts (02-11-14)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jok11n View Post
    I'd be interested in taking part in this, I don't have any advertising budget to speak of but have some product that may interest the user base, have you got a link to past promos you've done so I can get an idea of what you did (don't recall getting an email about it)?
    They were all pre the 2008 data disaster, I cant remember exactly when the last time is that we did one. It would be many years ago, though we do have many long term members that I am sure would remember them (I sure do, the server nearly melted one time ).

If you are referring to the product for example, that I bought from you a few weeks back, certainly one of those would be perfect for what we are looking at doing. We give you your business a plug via email to members and maybe have it as a small announcement on the forum front page in the leadup to the giveaway. We also have the ability to mass PM members that elected to use PM's (again, its a yes by default).

But nothings set in stone yet, at the moment we just want to put the word out and try and get a bit of business/company/retailer interest. Everyone loves winning something and that was shown when we did it previously.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

If you are referring to the product for example, that I bought from you a few weeks back, certainly one of those would be perfect for what we are looking at doing.
    yep I could do one of those, perhaps some other stuff as well, I'm waiting on stock so a couple of weeks away, I had actually been thinking what I could do in regards to some sort of give away so was along my line of thinking already

I was actually around for a couple of years before the crash, I did more reading than posting back then though, can't recall the promos but certainly interested in being a part of it this time around

• The Following User Says Thank You to jok11n For This Useful Post:

Seymour Butts (02-11-14)

Administrator
    Thanks

Good stuff, keep it in mind it probably wont be for a month or 2 yet as I want to look in to a decent mailing solution this time round to make things easier.

Thanks

no problem, a month or two would work better for me anyway

Thanks

im happy to donate a few bits n pieces.

the last one went off well because z80 was very generous (I know you're still lurking around )
    Last edited by urban_s0ulja; 19-01-13 at 12:17 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to urban_s0ulja For This Useful Post:

Rick (06-11-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by urban_s0ulja View Post

the last one went off well because z80 was very generous (I know you're still lurking around )
    what sort of stuff was given away last time?

Administrator
    Thanks

USB drives is what he is referring to that the person is question received for nothing. And it wasnt a mail out to members so doesnt have a lot to do with what we are talking about here.

Administrator
    Thanks

Bummp.

Thanks

USB drives is what he is referring to that the person is question received for nothing. And it wasnt a mail out to members so doesnt have a lot to do with what we are talking about here.
    the USB drives I do remember, not something I followed the progress on at the time as it's the sort of thing I have plenty of anyway

Thanks

We have blown our advertising budget already for the quarter (who thought web design was going to cost that much) but we always have ex-demo products that we get rid of. Like C-Bus Products, NESS, APC.
    "I can't believe you totaled a mammoth"

Administrator
    Thanks

We will be kicking this off in about 1 months time , jok11n has agreed to come on board for the first one

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Bibliophile (06-11-13),bob_m_54 (22-10-14),lsemmens (03-11-14),Tiny (06-11-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

Ok, we will be kicking this off in the very near future as we are waiting for delivery of the giveaway item. Austech is self funding the prize being given away in the hope that it creates a bit of interest. It will be a "fully loaded" M8 Android Smart TV Box.

If any business or company wants some decent exposure, they might want to read the thread from the start. Here is a snippet :

Those that have been here a number of years will remember the high level of interest and even server overload from previous giveaways ! So we are looking at doing this again this year.

What we are looking for is companies/business to give away an item or items over a certain amount of $$ worth (so no, you wont get a free plug for giving away a single $4 usb drive). What we will be doing is a mail out to all members, all 55,000 registered accounts except for banned and/or spammers. Obviously not all of them will be active and some will have their settings not to receive email from us (though by default accounts are set to receive email from us).

We then do a mail out advising members we are going to be doing some free giveaways, the benefits of being in it etc etc and that they can change their user CP settings if they dont want to be involved. When we do the giveaway, we email all participating members and advise them of what we are giving away, who the sponsoring business or company is that is in partnership with us in the giveaway and their website, and how the forum member can be in line to win the item.

In the past, we have for example sent out an email saying that you have to be on the site at a certain time, on a certain day and wait for a thread called " Giveaway " or similar to appear and be poster number 30 for example.

Its a bit of fun and is of benefit for everyone - Austech gets a bit of publicity by emailing all users and getting a few dormant members back on the site. The product supplier gets a plug to all users for giving away the item - this is a very cost effective form of advertising !! Austech users of course get the chance of a free prize. As in the past, Premium Members will get double the chance of winning as thanks for their support.

• The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

Bibliophile (02-11-14),Blackbiro (01-11-14),crossneedle (06-11-14),enf (01-11-14),gavogr (01-11-14),gulliver (01-11-14),iwacelect (02-11-14),joezep (31-10-14),OSIRUS (31-10-14),satboy (01-11-14),SS Dave (01-11-14),ssrattus (01-11-14),Tiny (31-10-14)

Administrator
    Thanks

It will be a "fully loaded" M8 Android Smart TV Box.
    That would have to be the worst "wink" smiley I have seen. I might go a look for a new one to upload
    Edit : Its now winking

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Great Prize ..... I hope the "Give Away's & Promotions" interests suppliers in donating Prizes to the forum ..... & creates interest in sales for the Suppliers too ...

I also like the "Give Away's & Promotions" to encourage members to become Premium members ....... (as this supports the Forum)

At the end of the day it is just a fun way for the forum to help cover costs
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 02-11-14 at 04:08 PM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Administrator
    Thanks

Its all good fun

I used to blow the forum up regularly doing it in the old days, send tens of thousands of emails out telling people to be online at a certain time and date. Lots of bigtime server overload

Although our current server should be able to handle it, we will just have a thread where people can register in the giveaway simply by posting.....your post number (righthand side, top of your post) will basically be your ticket number.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (02-11-14)

Thanks

I'll talk to you in the next few days about a giveaway as well, we have new cameras in stock and a couple of other new models arriving soon, can do something for the forum as I agreed previously

• The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jok11n For This Useful Post:

admin (05-11-14),OSIRUS (03-11-14),Seymour Butts (02-11-14),WhiteOx (03-11-14)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 3,338 Posts

Thanks, in advance, to those businesses and admin for this opportunity. I was not around for the last give away, but was there for similar on another forum, it was a lot of fun and even friendships were forged over that time. In our case it was a young forum and we were approaching 10,000 posts (IIRC) the post count was turned off so that you could not "time" your posting, obviously the person who posted the 10,000th post got a nice prize. That was some years back, and it is still remembered. Sadly, the founder of that forum is no longer with us, but he is fondly remembered by those who knew him.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

I have a couple of near new M8's i will donate.........

• The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to hoe For This Useful Post:

admin (06-11-14),eaglem (04-11-14),Godzilla (05-11-14),jok11n (03-11-14),landSat (07-11-14),mandc (03-11-14),OSIRUS (03-11-14),RGS (06-11-14),Tiny (04-11-14),tristen (03-11-14),WhiteOx (03-11-14)

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast