Thread: Apple Shares have taken a battering overnight.

2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

Default Apple Shares have taken a battering overnight.

The news isn't good for Apple.
    There isn't much more they can do in future releases in all of their products.
    The iPhone can only be improved by making it faster, and improving camera specs.
    The Ipad same as the iPhone.
    The Macs same, etc etc,
    The Ipods same.

Can the best get better year after year, I have my doubts.

I remember a few years ago, people used to say which Iphone they have now, it's yeah I have an iphone.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,921 Times in 1,282 Posts

I see where your coming from and your probably right

My Ipod 30gig classic holds more than music than it takes to do a round trip from ACT to QLD and back so why update.

SS Dave
    Death smiles at everyone. Grumpy old men smile back.

Thanks

But why did shares take a battering? Did they lose a court case or something?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aa23 View Post
    But why did shares take a battering? Did they lose a court case or something?

"Apple Inc's shares fell by as much as 12 percent on Thursday, staging their biggest percentage drop in over four years and slicing more than $50 billion from the company's market value, as disappointing holiday-period iPhone sales reinforced fears it is losing its dominance in smartphones.

Apple's shares slid to $450.66 at the open on the Nasdaq, before recouping some of their losses.

The stock hit a peak close of $702.10 on September 19, valuing the company at $658 billion. Since then, it has lost about $225 billion, or 35 percent, of its in market value -- or about the entire worth of Chevron Corp, the second biggest U.S. oil company."

As hughdman said, Apple products have lost their excitement.....The 2013 macbook pro looks externally identical to the 2009 unibody macbook pro...different innards but looks the same.

A quick glance at an iphone screen and you are not sure if it is a iphone 3,4 or 5 The 5 has another row of icons...big deal.

ipads...same

Apple used to have the 'wow' factor and the 'cool' factor and it often is those perceptions that drive sales and share prices.
    Unfortunately Apple is starting to gain the 'yawn' factor in the public's eye.
    Last edited by mandc; 27-01-13 at 10:44 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

aa23 (28-01-13)

Thanks

better spec android smart phones have not made iPhones journey any easier. Law suits don't help either.

Thanks

There aren't too many companies that can boast a share price as high as Apples. Yes, they've had their heads up their bums for many years due to the 'Apple Factor' but as that looses it's appeal to the market at large, they will take notice. Apple are arrogant yes, but they're not so arrogant as to allow their brand equity to fizz into nothingness as a result.

It's a little short sighted to suggest we've seen the end of innovation from Apple, and that their products can't be improved. There's plenty of things most of us haven't even thought of, let alone the addtion of things like NFT, Biometrics, Micro USB.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Nothing isn't to say their share price wasn't over inflated in the first place...
    But some great points brought up...
    Also i see the Android phone a lot easier for the common person to use with improvements and updates in the Android OS.
    Apple has also paved the way for most Smart Phone users.... like a learning curve, they have been the baby steps, now people are happy to accept other alternatives.

I don't think its like Kodak, that just fell from grace for failing to move with technology.
    And Apple shares would have to reflect the uptake of Android Tablets and Android Phones from a dozen other companies.

I think Apple have a few things in their favor though, their die hard fans, as well as a lot of normal home users, and still many to shift from windows pc to mac...
    Apple has good retention of users...

Sure, this is a tech site and lots of us expect more flexibility, but were are not the majority...

Even so... from $700 per share to $450 is a Huge battering in anyone's language....

Would be interesting to see if Apple have made a press release regarding the recent price fall.
    All i can say is, i lot of people sold their stock of Apple, that's for sure!
    Last edited by ol' boy; 27-01-13 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    <words> and still many to shift from windows pc to mac...
    This particular point will be most contentious over the coming year as W8 increases it's market share. W8 has much of the 'simplicity' factor that OSx has and a little more. WinMobile is also a vast improvement over previous iterations of mobile Windows OS.

It's going to be an interesting year for Apple & M$. I dare say Android will barely rate a mention this year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Nothing isn't to say their share price wasn't over inflated in the first place...
    I remember when I got my first iPhone (which was their second) and checking the Apple stock price which is always in the included stocks app, at the time their share price was $88, I remember thinking that how high that was, they've ridden a pretty big wave since then, even through their struggling economy, $700 a share seems excessive to me and I would have thought that hard to sustain

Thanks

and still many to shift from windows pc to mac...
    I'm one of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Iphone knockers....had a play with a Samsung S3 last night, my brothers, it looked good at first glance.

We were moving him and his family to a new suburb over the last 2 nights and the hire truck we were using didnt have a light inside so we used our phones lights, i noticed his light was like a spotlight compared to my iphones pissy little light.

Later that evening he had a flat battery, tried to charge it, no go using a few different charge methods, took a look at the terminals and they were green, his phones not that old.

Ill stick with my iPhone's they work, apples good at making things that actually work, my families 4 iphones have never let us down appart from a cracked screen on one once and that wasn't expensive to replace.

All companies have times when share prices can drop, might have been over priced, just a market adjustment back to reality.....

Thanks

I love Iphones and also believe in the motto, they just work.

The Samsung Galaxy 3, has a very flimsy feel to it, it always feel like the back is going to break when removing it.

I keep going back to them.

Thanks

Heaps to improve. Hard to see the end of the tunnel when your blinded by the light. In other words you did not even think of half the things apple have implanted into their devices so what makes you think that you can now?

I think the main reason is that ppl know that when a mobile phone company reaches the top they fall. And when they do fall there is no sudden stop to halt it, and no way back up. Just think of some old favorites (Nokia etc.). Not one has moved back up from the fall
    For wholesale prices on your wedding gifts visit

Priceless Weddings

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 571 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Decapper View Post
    I think the main reason is that ppl know that when a mobile phone company reaches the top they fall.
    Not that I completely disagree with you, but the difference with Apple may be that they are actually a computer company - not primarily a phone company.

Nokia lived off a multitute of mobile phones, nothing more. Apple not only has the phone market, but their tablets, portable music, TV, laptop and computer markets. A big difference.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    This particular point will be most contentious over the coming year as W8 increases it's market share. W8 has much of the 'simplicity' factor that OSx has and a little more. WinMobile is also a vast improvement over previous iterations of mobile Windows OS.

It's going to be an interesting year for Apple & M$. I dare say Android will barely rate a mention this year.
    Windows 8 has some bizarre and tortuous gestures. ipad/phone is simplicity by comparison, at least IMHO.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (29-01-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

LOL, here i am defending the iphone, dropped mine today and the rear cover shattered......Dickhead comes to mind......

Thanks

very easy to repair the back, order a kit off ebay

its just those 2 screws on the bottom slide off, smashed back slide on new one, too easy

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    LOL, here i am defending the iphone, dropped mine today and the rear cover shattered......Dickhead comes to mind......
    Consider a metal replacement...much harder to shatter LOL

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

Godzilla (29-01-13)