Thread: Multiple LNB's on a 65cm dish?

Thanks

Default Multiple LNB's on a 65cm dish?

Hi All,

I have recently subscribed to Select TV and want to setup my own dish at home so I can learn a bit more about satellites, and how they work etc.

I'd like to setup a dish to point to Intelsat 8 (166.0°E) and also Optus D2 (152.0°E). Could this be done easily, or is it more hassle than what it's worth?

I have a 65cm dish on hand which I could use if need be, is this size dish OK for my application?

I am trying to get away from using a DiSEQ switch so I can have a steady signal without the worry that the motor will not hold its position 100%. Switching between channels on different sats will also be quicker this way.

Could someone please let me know of where I can buy a dual LNB bracket, and whether I'll encounter any major hiccups with this sort of setup.

I haven't figured out how I'll get both RG6 cables from each LNB and cable them into 1 point on my STB, I am hoping some form of switch can do that for me (please correct me if I'm wrong).

TIA,
    Theo

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Theo,
    You will need to use at least a 2 way diseqc switch as you will have 2 LNB's pointing at 2 different birds. You then only need to run one cable from the diseqc switch to the STB. You then have the STB configured to select the appropriate bird when selecting a channel.
    Now a 65cm won't do for a multi LNB setup. You need at lease an 85cm and I just set one LNB on my 85cm for D2 but I have to do a modification to the arm that comes from the side of the dish to support the LNB's as it goes right pass the the D2 LNB. I will post how this goes on the weekend.

Leroy
    Last edited by LeroyPatrol; 02-07-08 at 11:37 PM.
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

D2 to Intelsat 8 ... 14 degrees in between ... i think u need bigger than 85cm mate... not 100% but i reckon u need over 95 cm
    Ive seen a 85cm running D2 and D1 and the LNB's were pretty stretched in between so adding another 6 degrees to that i reckon would stretch it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pit5bul View Post
    D2 to Intelsat 8 ... 14 degrees in between ... i think u need bigger than 85cm mate... not 100% but i reckon u need over 95 cm
    Ive seen a 85cm running D2 and D1 and the LNB's were pretty stretched in between so adding another 6 degrees to that i reckon would stretch it
    I've done it but as I mentioned when looking into the dish the arm on the right is in the path of the D2 LNB. I will make a little tag to drop the arm down a few cm.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

D2 and IS8's a doddle on an 85cm.

For best reception the trick is to actually align the dish on Optus D1, (or C1), then add Optus D2 and IS8 as multi lnb's.

It may work on a 65, but if your a beginner, do as advised and get an 85, or simply set up the 65 on IS8 and get an 85 to play with.

My 85 (with Optus C1 aligned) gives IS8 at around the same strength as C1 .... as IS8 is pretty hot in my neck of the woods.

Thanks

Ahh! Never thought it would be this tricky, but I'll press on and give it a shot anyway

So a 90cm dish or thereabouts should do the trick? Before I go and get ripped off by Sat dealers around, could someone tell me of a place to buy gear cheaply in Melbourne? Happy to travel, as long as I can look at what I am buying beforehand!

Would it be cheaper for me to buy a diseq switch rather than the mount for the multiple LNB's? That way the STB would control the motor, and everything would be done for me once adjustment is done.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Theo

Thanks

I run C1 D1 pas8 pas2 on a 90 strong dish it has a box section arm easy to mount a bracket on its very tight but very good results on all sats.
    I put D1 on the main LNB bracket (used it to align the dish ). Took a lot of time to set up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madgrk View Post
    Ahh! Never thought it would be this tricky, but I'll press on and give it a shot anyway

So a 90cm dish or thereabouts should do the trick? Before I go and get ripped off by Sat dealers around, could someone tell me of a place to buy gear cheaply in Melbourne? Happy to travel, as long as I can look at what I am buying beforehand!

Would it be cheaper for me to buy a diseq switch rather than the mount for the multiple LNB's? That way the STB would control the motor, and everything would be done for me once adjustment is done.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Theo
    I think you are confusing a diseqc switch for a H-H motor.

Leroy

Thanks

Sorry, I meant to say a H-H motor rather than a diseqc switch

Thanks

Shit.

Just have a play with the 65 to start with and then decide whether you want to go H-H or multi-lnb. They both have quite significant advantages and disadvantages

Thanks

Any advice on where to buy some motors etc to have a play with? Happy to wait for delivery if need be, got some other DIY I need to do anyway

Thanks

Any advice on where to buy some motors etc to have a play with? Happy to wait for delivery if need be, got some other DIY I need to do anyway
    Check out aussiesattelite.com, they are north of the city.

Leroy

Banned

Thanks

Default Hantrex prices alright for dish

Hantrex are in Melbourne but I would follow Farmskys post and have a play trying C1 and D1 firstly then C1 and D2 as they are only 4 degrees apart.
    Try steering clear of TP 12407 V as it appears on C1 and D2 and may confuse you.
    Have a look at Lyngsat's website and download Gorbtrak program if you have not already done so.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by marty 17; 03-07-08 at 06:12 PM. Reason: dictation

Thanks

Why do you need a motor when you plan on putting upt 2 lnb's? You either need to go one way or the other.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Which side of town are you on?

City $125

Northern suburbs $86

Eastern suburbs $104

Many others, just open your yellow pages.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 424 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmsky View Post
    Shit.

Just have a play with the 65 to start with and then decide whether you want to go H-H or multi-lnb. They both have quite significant advantages and disadvantages
    Yep. I've successfully picked up D2 and Intel8 on a 65cm using one of (although an 85cm is recommended). But if you tried aligning to 2 birds that are less than 4 degrees apart you will have problems on a 65cm. Luckily in your case there's plenty of gap between D2 and Intel8.