Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 21CN and the Security Industry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Default 21CN and the Security Industry

From a network technology perspective, BT’s 21CN programme is transforming our many legacy networks into a simpler, but more powerful, multi-service network, which will be the platform for a full portfolio of new wave services, as well as continuing to support traditional services.

There is a lot of interest in next generation networks, but how are they different to legacy networks and why is the architecture considered to be truly disruptive?

In the traditional world, services, such as voice require their own discrete networks with discrete infrastructure, systems, management and services to support them. In an IP world, services are applications.

For example;

voice becomes one of many applications running on a common platform and the systems, services and management processes are shared. In essence the transport layer - the electronics that convert communications signals and convey the communications to its destination - is separated from the session control or signalling. This separation leads to an ‘open architecture’ that challenges traditional business models. With open architectures, it is possible for thousands of applications providers to 'experiment' with new attractive applications that can be launched quickly and relatively cheaply. No longer are these things the sole province of the telco.

21CN is a next generation network which it is building in the UK and throughout other markets. It is an advanced broadband network based on intelligent systems, Internet Protocol (IP), Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS). IP is key to 21CN because it has the potential to act as a common transport protocol for all types of communication and applications; SIP allows the service provider to control the communications activity to meet a customer’s requirements and MPLS enables the efficient designation and routing of IP traffic flows.

The shape or topology of 21CN is being fashioned by economic analysis that takes into account advances in fibre optic transmission. It results in network designs that have fewer main switching/routing nodes and, as a rule of thumb, longer transmission links between nodes. The physical simplicity and the reduction in the number of operating facilities will have the added benefit of enhancing reliability.
    What this means for us is;

The impact on the security industry will be immediate and dramatic, as PSTN will become an IP application or as we know it VoIP, meaning as many as 1 million dialer panels will be affected.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    What this means for us is;

The impact on the security industry will be immediate and dramatic, as PSTN will become an IP application or as we know it VoIP, meaning as many as 1 million dialer panels will be affected.
    Actually George,

What this means for you is;

The impact on the security industry will be extremely slow as the rebate scheme is dug in very deep.

Telstra will deny that dialer panels will be affected and it will be business as usual for many, many years to come.
    Developer of VoIP2Go at ozvoip.net - Alarm compatible VoIP Network

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IPAlarms View Post
    Actually George,

What this means for you is;

The impact on the security industry will be extremely slow as the rebate scheme is dug in very deep.

Telstra will deny that dialer panels will be affected and it will be business as usual for many, many years to come.

I hear you, I was very suprised at just how much people are making out of rebates. In fact there are many companies that would go to the wall if they stopped because they have structured their business around them.

It will be a case of "it is not good for the security market so dont change it" in public but behind the closed doors "if they kill rebates we are screwed"

Dont hold your breath George

Thanks

I have to laugh... Suretek are so far ahead of the game here it is not funny. I wish... I just wish I was able to speak openly.... but I can tell you one thing we are trialing some very clever stuff.

I am lucky enough to get a first hand look and use some of this. All I can say is watch this space and I told you or did not tell you first.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Actually problems have already surfaced in the UK after 21CN went live, their social alarms and fire/security alarms have had trouble communicating with monitoring centres.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    Actually problems have already surfaced in the UK after 21CN went live, their social alarms and fire/security alarms have had trouble communicating with monitoring centres.
    Correct. Panels/dialers will not work reliably over 21CN without the assistance of an IP module.

The Brits have been let down by their governing bodies. They are so busy collecting their AU$20-30 from the installers each year for every monitored system that is installed that this IP thingy just sneaked up out of nowhere and they have not had time to educate installers.

You guys down under are much better prepared. You know what IP is and you know how it will affect your monitored systems. Unfortunately for us hungry manufacturers - you are not ready to give up your rebates just yet

In the meantime, we can all learn valuable lessons from the migration of Securitel systems so that when the time comes to migrate dialers we will be a lot wiser.

Thanks

Default A point

That being said. I have heard that 21cn has replaced redcare in the uk as alternative atm.

Thanks

Default Anther point

Failure to open a speech path
    Dropped calls
    Incomplete information presented at the monitoring centre
    Alarm activation (from a Telecare sensor/Personal trigger/red button) may not raise an alert at the monitoring centre
    And many more...

The question here is this over copper service or digital?

Thanks

IPalarms what do you have against rebates. You always mention it in a sour way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by controlroom Op View Post
    I have heard that 21cn has replaced redcare in the uk as alternative atm.
    Hardly. BT started with some small villages in Wales and then moved towards Cardiff and other places in Wales before they tackle England. There are more sheep than people in Cardiff, but apparently some do have alarms on their sheds and there have been some failures.

I think there are 70,000+ Redcares in service already, and BT are still taking orders. So, at the speed technology moves in the UK - it will be a while.

Thanks

Default Our own testing of this network is

no dropouts.
    no nothing atm.
    but we have not tested smartlink on it yet..i will test that as as posible then i will comment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneytech View Post
    IPalarms what do you have against rebates.
    Nothing. I'm just stating my opinion on why bureaus will not easily migrate their lines from PSTN to IP.

You always mention it in a sour way.
    I'm 45 - I can't help it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by controlroom Op View Post
    no dropouts.
    no nothing atm.
    but we have not tested smartlink on it yet..i will test that as as posible then i will comment.
    Just finished installing our 2 way voice over IP monitoring solution for a company with 20,000+ PERS units. Works a treat.

Let me know if you want to do any testing. I have a receiver here that goes into 2 way mode and I have a couple of PERS too if you want me to connect to your receivers.

My Thai internet connection never gets above 40K upstream, but I did so much bandwidth optimisation that the solution continues to work right down to dialup speeds.

Thanks

[QUOTE=IPAlarms;63489]Hardly. BT started with some small villages in Wales and then moved towards Cardiff and other places in Wales before they tackle England. There are more sheep than people in Cardiff, but apparently some do have alarms on their sheds and there have been some failures.

I have heard this is fact? That Recare has been removed as the preferred system in place of 21CN
    Last edited by controlroom Op; 04-07-08 at 01:43 AM.

Thanks

I have to laugh... Suretek are so far ahead of the game here it is not funny. I wish... I just wish I was able to speak openly.... but I can tell you one thing we are trialing some very clever stuff.

I am lucky enough to get a first hand look and use some of this. All I can say is watch this space and I told you or did not tell you first.
    I am interested in what Suretek has to offer. If as you say it is as good or if not a better product. Proof as they say is in the pudding DETAILS are required!

Thanks

[QUOTE=IPAlarms;63496]Just finished installing our 2 way voice over IP monitoring solution for a company with 20,000+ PERS units. Works a treat.

Thats the crux of all the solutions here in OZ. Under load which product will perform and which product will fail if all report at the same time?.

Thanks

Default Another point

I work in a Controlroom with over 200 bureaus. 21CN/MCM has priced themselves so competively that rebate loss is not an issue for Bureaus at all!.

Thanks

Nothing. I'm just stating my opinion on why bureaus will not easily migrate their lines from PSTN to IP.

I'm 45 - I can't help it
    Why do you automatically assume that all bureaus are on rebates. This is fiction and does not apply to many out there.
    If i am correct in my thinking, don't you get rebates through your association with voip at present Steve.

Thanks

[QUOTE=controlroom Op;63497]
    Hardly. BT started with some small villages in Wales and then moved towards Cardiff and other places in Wales before they tackle England. There are more sheep than people in Cardiff, but apparently some do have alarms on their sheds and there have been some failures.

I have heard this is fact? That Recare has been removed as the preferred system in place of 21CN
    I don't anything about cardiff steve, but is it the type of place that the men are that type of man and the sheep get extremely nervous.

Thanks

At what point of time do we expect to hear some kind of announcement regarding this from smithy.
    Maybe Sureteck & Scuzzy are going to kiss and make up then merge and then get SM to do there marketing for them.

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast