Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: science help please (water flow)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Are the 3 top tanks connected "in a chain horizontally" & then back to the bottom tank ?

& are the 3 tanks on the second shelf all connected "in a chain horizontally" & then back to the bottom tank ?

if so the top 3 tanks would have more water force back to the bottom tank (because they are positioned on a higher level)

than the 3 tanks on the second shelf which would have less water force back to the bottom tank.....

or are the 3 tanks connected in a chain vertically ? & then back to a bottom tank ?

& are all the tanks the same size & volume ?

Maybe you could put a re-stricter on the pipe that is flowing too fast ?

Maybe insert a tap only partially open...... or partially apply a vice Grip to the hose flowing to quickly... ?
    Last edited by OSIRUS; 16-02-13 at 11:45 AM.
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

ben10 (18-02-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Water reticulation explained. Air locks particularly.

Simply put, with your setup, the top tank(s) will overflow if air is allowed to enter the down line from the top tanks. Either by a vortex or overflow outlet is allowed to become at or momentary above top water level.

An engineering marvel and a life cut short
    C.Y. O'Connor was the brilliant engineer who designed the goldfields water pipeline, but he died in tragic circumstances
    Charles Yelverton O'Connor took his own life on the beach at Fremantle, after mounting public pressure about the cost of the water pipeline. He never got to see the success of the water supply scheme that he designed completed but he's still remembered for his work.

Edit;
    I've had my own experience of this with my tanker deliveries when they've allowed a hilltop tank to empty.
    My solution was to cover the outlet with water at the top level and then pump from the bottom outlet to drive the air up to the top.

Last edited by beer4life; 16-02-13 at 02:14 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

B4life, I found a text/handbook published by the Australian Army circa 1950's dealing with movement of fluid and rather surprisingly it is written in more of a documentary plain form rather than a book of Engineering terms.
    It dealt with the PLUTO supply line used in WW2 and what problems were found in pumping liquids (Petrol mostly) over different elevations.
    The diagram you posted is very similar to a water supply line from a large Dam to another some 10 kms away for a Power Station but with a slight difference.
    The dam the water is pumped FROM is over 200 metres (600 feet) LOWER than the receiving Dam
    To achieve this flow they first pump the water in a fairly straight line to the highest point into a large diameter Vertical pipe they call a 'Reservoir', then gravity feed it to the other.
    But the run between the Highest point to the other dam isnt even remotely level so it 'saw tooths' along, where the one metre diameter pipe line 'Rises', there appears to be a 75 mm pipe poking above ground with a Valve attached.
    I think this allow the ingress of air to the pipe to prevent a Vacuum occurring should the flow
    This book explained in very simple terms just how many properties water has and how it can either work with you, for you or as was said, Totally and completely against you.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

beer4life (17-02-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Thumbs up Pipe Line Under The Ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    B4life, I found a text/handbook published by the Australian Army circa 1950's dealing with movement of fluid and rather surprisingly it is written in more of a documentary plain form rather than a book of Engineering terms.
    It dealt with the PLUTO supply line used in WW2 and what problems were found in pumping liquids (Petrol mostly) over different elevations.
    The diagram you posted is very similar to a water supply line from a large Dam to another some 10 kms away for a Power Station but with a slight difference.
    The dam the water is pumped FROM is over 200 metres (600 feet) LOWER than the receiving Dam
    To achieve this flow they first pump the water in a fairly straight line to the highest point into a large diameter Vertical pipe they call a 'Reservoir', then gravity feed it to the other.
    But the run between the Highest point to the other dam isnt even remotely level so it 'saw tooths' along, where the one metre diameter pipe line 'Rises', there appears to be a 75 mm pipe poking above ground with a Valve attached.
    I think this allow the ingress of air to the pipe to prevent a Vacuum occurring should the flow
    This book explained in very simple terms just how many properties water has and how it can either work with you, for you or as was said, Totally and completely against you.
    G'Day Gordon, another good example. It's hard to understand and believe unless you have a practical demonstration.
    Yes, Ben10 is indeed lucky.
    PLUTO ( Pipe Line Under The Ocean ). WW2 Invasion of Europe across the Channel.

By the way, those stand pipes have a manual or automatic Air Bleed Valve at any high points.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Would it be possible to use your "flow control fitting" on both pump pipes to the top tanks to reduce the flow enough to stop the overflow, then after initial refilling after cleaning, turn them back up to the desired flow for filtration & aeration?
    thank you, thank you, thank you.
    this method work like a charm.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben10 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (18-02-13),Tiny (18-02-13)

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ben10 View Post
    thank you, thank you, thank you.
    this method work like a charm.
    No worries, I think we all enjoyed the puzzle.

I know I just love a good puzzle to work out.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12