Thread: Revamped Bauhn (ALDI) Tablet $249 On Sale 23 Feb.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Revamped Bauhn (ALDI) Tablet $249 On Sale 23 Feb.

I picked up an Aldi catalog today to see that on Saturday 23 February they are selling an 'Updated/Revamped' version of the 10 inch (9.7 inch) Android Tablet.
    The new additions are it can now take a SIM card and is '3G' compatible and has a GPS built in so would that make this the cheapest on the market ?
    Other than that everything looks similar to the last release of this Tablet.
    Without an external antenna, my 3G is a bit patchy on Telstra and useless on Optus at the house where everything is used but go for a drive or into town, I have a good service so the availability of an antenna connection is important to me.
    At the moment dont bother looking at the Bauhn.com.au site for further information as its not listed.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks

Bauhn.com.au is now available and I cross checked the spec's with the last model and there are differences
    not including the 3G capability and an inbuilt GPS which I see as a big attraction (GoCruise Maps maybe?)

CPU now a 1.5 Ghz, New 1.2Ghz.(with 'Jellybean'?)
    RAM DDR3 New DDR2.
    Bluetooth 2.1 +EDR New 3.
    Cam Front same on both of 0.3MP
    Rear 3MP New 5MP.
    Compared with a Toshiba Laptop I feel the current model Laptop has a poor reception on Wifi.

Also in the catalog is a 'Bluetooth' Keyboard that MIGHT just work with this and other Bauhn models, who knows?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 15-02-13 at 02:50 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

It appears it only supports 850/2100 according to the specs page, so anyone buying it to put an Optus sim card in it would be very disappointed.
    If that is the case, Aldi are going to get some pissed off people returning them and they should be clearly labelled and advertised as not being suitable for Optus.

Having said that, Aldi normally change the specs page a few times before they get them correct but you can only go off what is stated.

Premium Member

Thanks

By not saying what it is suitable for, can they skirt around saying what its NOT suitable for??
    Doesnt Optus poke about in that band range?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

what band does optus use?

......Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Optus use 900/2100 mhz for 3G, Telstra 850/2100.

Its the same as with mobile phones, a lot of mobiles Optus sell are 900/2100 only and will not work on Telstra's predominantly 850 network. Telstra does also use 2100, but its basically a backup/extra band. A lot of these problems have come to light with ex Optus/Virgin customers moving to Kogan Mobile only to find their phones dont work very well because they dont have 850 support.

They would of course work on 2g/edge, but really whats the point when you need data ?

Thanks

Default Aldi tablet

I purchased on of these tablets and have found it good value. One thing I did discover though is that supplied USB cable is unique to this device. It might look like a standard micro USB connection but it is slightly different and only the supplied USB cable will work for charging and connecting to a PC. Don't know what would happen if you lost original cable.

• The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomNK For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (28-02-13)

Premium Member

Thanks

Phantomnk, I am extremely curious as to your experiences using the Wifi connection.
    I downloaded the Wifi manager/ Analiser etc APPs and I have found that if the needle gets under -50db the small 'Green' light in the lower left hand corner of the scale begins to pulse.
    Once this light begins to pulse, it either slows chronicaly or just wont load.
    I have placed a larger higher gain antenna on the router but the signal only very marginaly improved.
    Using a Toshiba Satellite L/top on the same router, it has near double the distance from the router before it shows any difficulty with reception.
    I have tried to make the tests as equal as possible in keeping a clear line of sight between the devises and the router.