Thread: Cable TV via Satellite

Thanks

Default Cable TV via Satellite

Does anyone know if cable tv can be received via satellite again like it could early last year? Is so what decoder does it now (Octagon doesn't seem to do it anymore)
    Rgs
    'bec

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Cable TV and satellite TV are two entirely different receiving methods, so you can't use a satellite decoder to tune cable signals.

Perhaps if you can clarify exactly what you are trying to do.

If you are referring to Foxtel (NDS encryption) satellite, it can only be received using the Foxtel decoder.

If you are referring to the former Austar satellite (which is now branded as Foxtel, but still uses irdeto2 encryption)... I understand some early version Austar smartcards will still work in third party decoders at this time.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (15-02-13)

Thanks

Hi. Up until last year Foxtel Cable cards worked fine via satellite with an Octagon decoder. Now the feature is gone. Even though the receiving methods are different the encryption was the same and the cable cards worked via satellite.
    Rgs
    'bec

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

All Foxtel cards, (since last year) will only work in their Foxtel STB .... (cable or Satellite)

there has been no fix ....as far as I know
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

• The Following User Says Thank You to OSIRUS For This Useful Post:

mtv (16-02-13)

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca22 View Post
    Hi. Up until last year Foxtel Cable cards worked fine via satellite with an Octagon decoder. Now the feature is gone. Even though the receiving methods are different the encryption was the same and the cable cards worked via satellite.
    Rgs
    'bec
    Thanks for the clarification.

You weren't getting cable TV on satellite.... you were getting satellite TV on a satellite receiver, with a cable smartcard.

As I mentioned and now also OSIRUS, Foxtel NDS can only be decoded with a Foxtel decoder and it's paired smartcard.

Unfortunately there's no fix that allows the use of third party decoders at this time (that we're aware of).

Thanks

I am not able to receive cable television where I live at. I would have to be closer to one of the bigger towns. I live out in the midde of the country. I'm in Illinois of the US. I have no choice but to have satellite. I use Directv. I know this forum is mostly for Australia. I am assuming that you have completely different companies to get these services from. In the USA now we have to have cable now with a digital box. Is it like that in Australia too? It did not use to be like that here. We could have cable from the antenna in the old days. It just happened around 2010 I think. I have never heard of what was mentioned with satellite and regular cable interacting before of course.
    Last edited by brittanyt28; 10-06-13 at 05:19 AM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Here in Australia we use basically 3 forms of TV delivery service, one is the familiar transmission from a Terrestrial transmitter we now call FTA (Free to Air), in certain areas of Sydney, Melbourne they use cable and then finally by Satellite which we call PayTV.
    If you live in Sydney you may have a cable option but where there is no cable and in the suburbs it is by satellite and the same company supplies both.
    For the original satellite system, the Government divided the country into 2 regions, one covered the 'City areas' and the other every where else.
    One company had the licence to supply the services to all the city areas and another did the Rural/Regional.
    The programs broadcast were almost identical so the only difference was who you paid your subscription to.
    We now have a Satellite service called VAST (Viewer Access Satellite Television) and this now supplies almost the same programming as the City based FTA viewers have but there are restrictions on its availability, you have to be where NO FTA channels are otherwise available from a terrestrial transmitter.
    If where you are there is no available terrestrial transmitter, this would allow you to get a VAST receiver authorised and on it you would receive basically the same channels as your major city would have, here it is either 17 or 19 channels.
    The only cost to the viewer is the purchase price of the receiver as the service is FREE.
    Due to economies the 2 PayTV companies merged recently so now no matter where you live, you pay your Sub to the one company.
    There have been companies who broadcast channels from other countries specifically for ethnic groups but I am not sure of its current status as 2 have gone broke.
    I hope this gives you a rough idea on how its being done here.
    Basically what they are trying to do is give everyone no matter where you are a FTA TV service with the same number of channels and almost identical programming.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 10-06-13 at 04:30 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Administrator
    Thanks

The USA also has a variety of IPTV providers, delivering PayTV via the internet.

If you have access to broadband internet via DSL or wireless, it's another option for you.

Thanks

Hi everyone. Just looking for a yay or a nay.

I have Foxt#l cable, IQ, orange card. Used to use DreamBox for footy etc when away camping. If I can get hold of a used Foxt#l sat box, can i somehow marry my orange to it?

Sorry if this is the 1001st time this question has been asked.

Cheers, Koola

Administrator
    Thanks

That would be a big nay.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

koolandilly (20-06-13)

Thanks

Ta for the nay