Thread: Cat5 or Cat6 cable for lifts?

Thanks

Default Cat5 or Cat6 cable for lifts?

I met with Schindler recently to talk about putting IP cameras in lifts. They advise that the only cable they can add to the trailing cable is an RG59 with 2 twisted pairs on each side!

Apparently according to them Ethernet UTP is not an option. Not available. I am surprised to hear this, surely there are lift cars somewhere in the world that are cable with UTP??

The cable used for patch leads is flexible, obviously not flexible enough for trailing cables?

Any leads to suitable cable would be good, love to be able to supply to Schindler and get them just to fit.

Cheers
    Kelvin

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Schindler would be governed by ACMA regulations in regards to the type of communications cables that can be installed in lists and hoists.
    “There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary – and those who don’t”

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Here's the list of travelling cables on the ACMA Certified Components List

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I believe that lift cabling in Australia is required to comply with Australian Standard AS3000, Lift Codes AS1735 and EN81, and is administered by ACMA.

One can appreciate that there will be special cabling requirements for lifts due to the unique "dynamic" environment in which lifts operate.

It's not the usual "static" environment of your average building installation.

Thanks

How abut a little conversion between along the way??
    We used something similar to to put some transmitters in a tunnel, looked like a piece of cat 5 to switches and everything just worked.... but we only needed 6Mbit!

Cheers

Cozi

Thanks

Found this cable if it can handle high speed camera data on a robot I would think the movement of a lift would be no issue?

Cheers
    Pilbara

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

It's quite possible it may work, but lift cables have far greater stress and movement compared to a robot.

Regardless, even if it works, if that cable isn't on the ACMA Certified Components List of travelling cables, it's not accredited and therefore can't be used for lifts.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

tristen (25-02-13)

Thanks

3x2 cavity vertical why not a directional antenna wireless? you need power anyways. cut out the middleman.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    It's quite possible it may work, but lift cables have far greater stress and movement compared to a robot.

Regardless, even if it works, if that cable isn't on the ACMA Certified Components List of travelling cables, it's not accredited and therefore can't be used for lifts.
    Spoken with 2 lift service companies of repute lately and they both have no idea of the conformance or accreditation with ACMA. I find this rather strange. They said that the phone cabling maybe but they are willing to give me a quote to install additional cabling without any ACMA accreditation for card reader and camera.

??
    Cheers
    Pilbara

Thanks

Just put an Poe encoder in the lift motor room .

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

There are security cameras used in Lifts as we have seen in a recent Murder Case in Sydney where video of the Accused entering, traveling and leaving a lift were shown in Court and later TV news reports so there must be equipment available to allow the video at least to be sent to a recorder, UNLESS both the camera and recorder are mounted somewhere on/in the lift and it draws power from the light or other circuit.

I was thinking of those now in use in Police vehicles etc.
    Today's HDD can record many hours before over writing past material.

This would not allow external monitoring unless it was either wired, which this is all about or was Wireless and there poses problems due the the possible Faraday effect of the steel used in the construction of the lift shaft.

Most Video surveillance isnt monitored 'Live' anyway except in specific areas like Traffic Control and even if it does go to a 'Real Time' monitor, most times no one is sitting there staring at it 24/7.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 23-02-14 at 12:36 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Default Cat5 or Cat6 cable for lifts?

Just about every commercial elevator in China has CCTV installed and cellular phone repeaters, how it's cabled though I'm not sure, Schindler and Otis are the majors there also