Thread: Is this cable ok for digital.

Thanks

Default Is this cable ok for digital.

Is this antenna cable ok for digital tv.
    this is whats written on the cable .

DSE W2082 CHM 75 OHM AIR DIELECTRIC COAXIAL CABLE

thanks for any info.

Look Here ->
    Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Personally, I like to use a higher grade coax, normally a quad shield variety as used in PAY Tv installations. I find the "chain store" varients are just cheap crap. Best to use a best quality coax and connectors that you can.

porkop

Thanks

Air-spaced cables are absolutely crap, IMO, and from my experience. RG6-Q (quad shield RG6) is just right for digital, and carries signal really well. Crimp-on f-connectors are best, unless you wanna figure out how to work a compression connector tool.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by big mick000 View Post
    Air-spaced cables are absolutely crap, IMO, and from my experience. RG6-Q (quad shield RG6) is just right for digital, and carries signal really well.
    We all have slightly different opinions. Mine is that both air spaced and RG6Q are crap. Hobbiest cables are cheap arse and there isn't much difference between them. Broadcast TV signals are so strong that most people never notice.

If you're a perfectionist use RG59, but buy the stuff that actually meets the military specification for this cable. Rojone, Farnell or RS are companies which stock it. It's of course more expensive than the stuff sold at Jaycar, but you get what you pay for.
    For some people, they prefer to maximise their system's performance for weaker signals in fringe areas or DXTV. They use RG11. The cable is physically thicker and is much like RG213 (50ohm).
    For most people, RG11 is overkill.

If you want to really buy top shelf cable, the LDF1-75 or FSJ1-75 from Andrew are the cables to buy.

Audiophiles will spend hundreds of dollars on monster cables and connectors that do jack shit, but will spend 45 cents a metre or RG6Q. >VOMIT<
    FSJ1 at $4 a metre would seem cheap by comparison.

Thanks

RG6Q is the best cable for normal tv use. RG59 quad sheild is also available and suitable for tv signals but signal loss per metre is higher. RG59 and RG6 single screened cables are no good for rf signals but are better for baseband video signals than thier quad screened counterparts due to the type of sheilding being more effective at lower frequencys.

All air spaced tv coax should be thrown in the bin as it isn't good for anything.

Thanks

All air spaced tv coax should be thrown in the bin as it isn't good for anything.
    Another gratuitous, specious and generic statement, that without justification, should also be thrown in the bin.

Thanks

Antennaman if that is your professional opinion I suggest you get out of the industry.

When your charging several hundred $ to run 10-15m of 30c /mt RG6Q why the hell would you install an inferior cable that in all reality will save you all of $1 and give you inferior results?

Are you trying to get multiple callout $$$ from your customers to fix the shit you installed in the first place?

I hope you work in my area mate, coz I make a fortune ripping out shit cable from guys like you and replacing it with quality cable that does not transfer water like a garden hose.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Yes, air core cable is great for syphoning water into television tuner cans
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

I no longer use double shielded air cored cable, but when I did, correct installation at the antenna did not allow the ingress of water and yes I have also fixed installations where water has entered the cable and corroded splitters, TV tuners etc.

Air cored double shielded cable of similar dimensions to RG59 & RG6 has less loss particularly at higher frequencies, which was a reason for using it years ago, and there has been no need to replace this when it is in a perfectly functioning installation where there would be no benefit.

In the UK I have found both air cored & foam cables used in the satellite/freeview environment and these are recommended by the CAI (an industry body).

Read what was said
    "All air spaced tv coax"

Still waiting for the justification for this .

Thanks

You're saying you don't use it anymore yet you want me to justify why i say not to use it?

Thanks

I am sorry for appearing a bit thick, but then must accept that others do not share my head space and are not able to understand where I am coming from.

The only reason for not using this cable any more is there are no longer supplies of suitably sourced product available in this country

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    If you're a perfectionist use RG59, but buy the stuff that actually meets the military specification for this cable. Rojone, Farnell or RS are companies which stock it. It's of course more expensive than the stuff sold at Jaycar, but you get what you pay for.
    Military spec coax is RG6 Quad shield with a solid copper core. Well was at the start of the year when I had to run the crap in the MRTT hanger at amberley, Qld. The cheaper RG6 just has a copper coated steel core

Thanks

RG6Q is a nob gobble, RG6 dual is perfectly good for 99% of home TV & Sat installations. Correct connectors and splitters must be used. Most ingress & picture loss occurs from poor connections rather than cable quality.
    Marketing hype and good salesmen are to blame.

Thanks

I can't believe i'm reading this.

Firstly, the difference in cost between air-core, dual shield and quad shield is a matter of CENTS per metre.

The difference in quality is HUGE.
    You cannot put water-tight compression connectors on air-core coax cable. Therefore it cannot be made watertight and will track water into the first device in the line.
    Air-core and dual shield might appear to work ok for inner city areas, but when you are working 100-150km from the transmitters the quality of every component shows up in the end result.

I did an installation yesterday, ripped out air-core cable and replaced it all with RG6 Quad. I ran it past the airconditioner wiring and other miscellaneous wiring, fluro lights, and I had NO FEAR of it interfering with the signal, because I had used the BEST cable for the job and I also used compression F connectors and compression PAL connectors at the tv.
    There is zero chance of water ingress, electrical interference, or anything of that nature.

I walked away confident that my installation will last this man the lifetime of the house, and he watched every move I made and he was impressed at the quality of the parts I used and the way it was all installed.
    He knew that I didn't rip him off and that it would be the last antenna man to visit his house until he dies or moves house.

He will tell his friends too.

I make a living off word of mouth.
    I will not compromise quality work for screw-on F connectors, or saving 3 cents a metre on the cable I use.

If I won't do this to a customer, then why the hell would you do this at your own house?

I like to kick back and enjoy the result after doing it right the first time, I hate fixing things twice. Especially at home.

• The Following User Says Thank You to biggeorge For This Useful Post:

Infiltrator (07-03-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by biggeorge View Post
    There is zero chance of water ingress, electrical interference, or anything of that nature.
    Nothing will stop electrical interference that interferes with the digital signal before it reaches the antenna.

Thanks

Duh.......

Your a frickn genius.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by biggeorge View Post
    Duh.......

Your a frickn genius.
    More than you will ever know

btw, I have no difficulty fitting Hills BC71688 double bubble "O" ring compression connectors to some of the air cored coax I have used in the past.