Thread: Mower and other power equipment parts

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Red face Mower and other power equipment parts

I thought I would pass this on as I am really impressed with this.

A few weeks ago I bought a renovators delight ride on mower. I’ve pretty well fixed it all but decided to rebuild the motor. It’s a Briggs and Stratton 12 HP after going to a few dealers and also an engine rebuilder I was unable to get a set of rings for the motor.

I ended up calling Briggs and Stratton direct and they put me on to a dealer that was willing to order the rings for me.

The rings comprise 2 x compression rings and 1 x oil control ring. Standard rings were $50.00 chromium rings $100.00 which is way over the top in price.

I had a look on EBay and found this guys shop. The rings I need plus a full gasket and seal kit cost me US $32.00 which includes first class air mail to my door.

Anyway if you need some stuff for this type of equipment I can recommend this guy.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Thanks, handy to know.
    $100 for a set of rings? Did you ask him if theyre gold plaited, or were they for a 6cly?lol

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Yea I was a little stunned at the price.

I've rebuild and hotted up a few car motors and I’ve never had to pay that much for a full set of rings.

From memory a full set of high performance ACL chromium rings for my 4 cylinder turbo cost $68.00.

I called a place in SA that sells rings and they could make a set for me for about $25.00 but I was a little worried I might stuff up accurately measuring the bore, ring depth and thickness etc.

Thanks

They sure have a great list of gear but the worry buying from over seas must always be, is the quality there or if they mess ya around you are hard pressed to pop round and sort them out. I would be interested to hear if it's all good when you get the parts.

Thanks

Your right about worrying if the quality is there, but at those prices you could afford to buy 2 just in case.

Im surprised by the competative pricing, some of my local mower shops charge an arm and a leg and their parts are also non genuine.

At those prices your taking a very small risk.

Definitly a good site for mower parts.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

If this was my daily driver car I might be more concerned but in this case it’s to fix something I largely bought as a toy thats easy to work on.

The ride on was very cheap because the motor and cutting deck needed work. I am still really not sure if really practical for my large domestic block but I had trouble with my knee for a long time last year. It’s now ok touch wood but I still like the idea of whizzing around doing the lawn in next to no time while sucking on a stubby.

At the end of the day I figure can sell it for a lot more than it cost me but I think its a keeper.

The guy on EBay seems to have a long and good feedback rating and I figure I’ve lost about AU $38.00 if the stuff turned out to be complete rubbish but I get the impression he’s ok.

I tried one other EBay seller in the US before this I found this one and he did not even reply kind of like a ride on dealer in Hallam / Dandy in Melbourne who said they would ring me back after taking all the details but never did.

I don’t know what it is with this stuff but no one seemed interested perhaps only if they do the work or sell you a new motor.

In fairness the people B&S did put me on to a dealer willing to order the bits but the cost was very high.

Thanks

I got the same parts (rings and gasket/seal set)for my 14HP Briggs twin from the same guy. I also needed two conrods and an oil slinger(from another US sorce) which were also real cheap compared with prices here.
    Just got to do a valve/seat cut and it's ready to go back together.

Thanks

thanks i have an old barrel mower that needs a rebuild soon. probably do it during winter.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Well my parts have just arrived and all looks good just in time for the long weekend.

The ring set is the correct one and the gasket set and seal kit has everything on the motor.

The only difference is the original head gasket is made of a perforated metal where as the replacement looks like graphite but that is fine.

I’ve taken the time during the wait for the parts to give the motor a good valve grind. Now I know I have the right rings I will hone the bore and remove any lip at the top I would hate to break the new rings.

This thing should go pretty well when it’s all back together.

Thanks

Grinding valves will also mean you will need to set the valve clearance if it is out of spec. Lapping valves may be ok and not require changing

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Good point

I really only lapped them with a hand tool and two grades of grinding paste but I am going to check the clearances and adjust them if needed.