Thread: New Kindle Paperwhite

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Default New Kindle Paperwhite

Just ordered one from Amazon... I got the non ad-supported one for about $153 delivered...Dick Smith has them for $169
    It is still the e-ink but higher resolution (62% more pixels and 25% better contrast) and internally lit.
    Internal memory is smaller....now only holds 1000 books..LOL and battery will last less time but still up to 8 weeks between recharges.
    It has a capacitive touch screen. I already have a standard kindle but with my dodgy eyes, the greater clarity and internal illumination sound great as I mostly read in bed....I will report on how good (or bad) it is when it comes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

weirdo (10-03-13)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Had one since they came out last year in US.
    Wife is very happy with it.

• The Following User Says Thank You to BillyGoat For This Useful Post:

mandc (10-03-13)

Premium Member
    Thanks

OK, I got the new paperwhite yesterday....only two days after ordering it from Amazon...I must have paid priority postage without realizing it LOL
    For me, the new one is far easier to read in dim rooms but is only marginally easier to read in really bright light but as I do most of my reading at night, it is great. The text is definitely sharper than the standard Kindle.
    I have included a photo of the old and new ones together in dull lighting using my crappy iphone camera which does not show just how sharp the text really is but you can clearly see the difference

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

kevin1341 (13-03-13),weirdo (13-03-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

A friend is looking to get something so he can read 'scriptures' for the Salvation Army at their meetings.
    He has good long sight but is as blind as a bat with print and he wont wear glasses unless he absolutely has to which doesnt help and he isnt a good reader either although he is by no means Ilterate.
    As reading is a 'Learned' skill I think as he reads very little, he is not 'recognising' the printed word so he needs something that clearly displays a sentance in ambiant light if he does want to read a sermon to the meetings.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    A friend is looking to get something so he can read 'scriptures' for the Salvation Army at their meetings.
    He has good long sight but is as blind as a bat with print and he wont wear glasses unless he absolutely has to which doesnt help and he isnt a good reader either although he is by no means Ilterate.
    As reading is a 'Learned' skill I think as he reads very little, he is not 'recognising' the printed word so he needs something that clearly displays a sentance in ambiant light if he does want to read a sermon to the meetings.
    As it displays in different fonts(6) and sizes(8), it might be ideal for him....haven't really got any scriptures on mine but I am sure they are available

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

already found 200 versions of the Bible so thats not a problem (Google Playshop)
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

It does look interesting. I don't have a kindle but if I were going to buy one it would probably be this. I think it would be really awesome for manga and just books in general. I don't like reading on a screen that is too bright.

Thanks

I'm with PurpleGuardian, if I were going to buy one It would be the Paperwhite. I like reading a lot and I usually read on my tablet but the tablet's creen isn't made for this kind of use. I'm thinking on getting a kindle on the next few months and it almost certainly will be a Paperwhite.