Thread: Induction Cooktops

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default Induction Cooktops

After trawling ebay just sniffing around we purchased a Induction cooktop and after installing it so far its thumbs up (Separate 4mm Sq Twin and E + wall Isolator from the oven). We know nothing about these cooktops but I can tell you this the wife is happy and it cooks in less than half the time. Maybe we should have done more homework on these things before buying this one from ebay but since it was so cheap we just went ahead and purchased it. What do you think guys anything we should know about these cooktops.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 13-03-13 at 09:38 AM.

Look Here ->
    2014 Austech AFL tipping champion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 804 Posts

They're pretty good, mother in law has one, you also need some decent cookware.

They are heavy on the power as well

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hughdman View Post
    They're pretty good, mother in law has one, you also need some decent cookware.

They are heavy on the power as well
    Yes the wife spent over $200 on cookware. As for power consumption the induction cooktop is 400Watts in total higher than the original unit but as an example two of the induction cookers are rated at 1800 Watts the other two are rated at 1300 Watts. The old retired Cooktop one of its elements is rated at 1800 Watts the rest lesser. Now if we compare and set the Old 1800W cooker to cook the same fish at say 50% of its power level it takes 9 minutes to cook. using the Induction Cooktop to do the same set a P5 which is 50% of its power it takes just under 3 minutes and since this is the case its 3 minutes of juice vrs 10 minutes of power from the old cooker..
    Maybe I should have used my Fluke clamp on Watt meter before disconnecting the old cooker and do the same test with the Induction cooker.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Glad you're happy with it.
    That unit sure is cheap, most of the Induction Hotplates i've installed cost upwards of $4000, last one was $6000.
    As hughdman said, they are energy pigs!

At 6.4Kw a 6mm cable would have been the recommended by AS3000. But it will hang in there on a 4mm, you never turn all elements on at the same time often anyway.

Still, can't believe that price!!!!!!

If you were selling a house or building a spec home, sure is a cheap way to say you have induction cooktops.
    Last edited by ol' boy; 13-03-13 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks

And they are selling them like hot cakes.
    The original set up had a 4 mm Twin + E feeding both the 5600 Watt Cooktop and whatever the wattage the oven is. I ran a new twin + E via a new C/B in the S/board on a different phase and of course a different Clipsal 45A
    wall plate isolator parked 200mm away from the oven one. With the expensive units you installed what wattage were they?.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    you never turn all elements on at the same time often anyway.
    The house is only new but I have always challenged how they can getaway with running an oven with a cooktop together. You now have wet my appetite, Is the cable a 4mm Sq or a 6 MM Sq (the Original).? The roll of twin and E I used is the same as what the oven cook top is wired in (same size) but the trouble was the label on the side of the roll has been scrapped away in years of moving around. I know the original Circuit breaker is a 32A.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Cabling installed should be at minimum to power ALL hotplates used simultaneously (plus reserve).

You should be able to comfortably power ALL hotplates at once because the cooktop is designed to do that, so you need to ensure the power cabling can handle the load.

As mentioned, 6mm would be the recommended standard according to AS3000.

You're obviously not a licensed electrician, otherwise you wouldn't need to be asking here, so by rights, you shouldn't have been running new power circuits/cabling yourself anyway.

Regardless if you are capable or not, if for example, your kitchen catches fire and an electrical fault is suspected and you cannot produce a certificate of electrical safety/compliance, issued by a licensed electrical contractor, your insurance company can void your policy..... somthing to keep in mind for DIYers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Cabling installed should be at minimum to power ALL hotplates used simultaneously (plus reserve).

You should be able to comfortably power ALL hotplates at once because the cooktop is designed to do that, so you need to ensure the power cabling can handle the load.

As mentioned, 6mm would be the recommended standard according to AS3000.

You're obviously not a licensed electrician, otherwise you wouldn't need to be asking here, so by rights, you shouldn't have been running new power circuits/cabling yourself anyway.

Regardless if you are capable or not, if for example, your kitchen catches fire and an electrical fault is suspected and you cannot produce a certificate of electrical safety/compliance, issued by a licensed electrical contractor, your insurance company can void your policy..... somthing to keep in mind for DIYers.
    I was a licenced Electrical contractor 6 years ago but due to my health I gave it all away. I cut a piece off the roll and dropped into the Electrical wholesaler that I was in yesterday and compared the cable and yes its 6mm not 4 MM like I stated before. The Original installation that feed both the cooktop and oven shared a 6MM T&E. Now I have a 6MM for each.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    You're obviously not a licensed electrician,
    Off topic
    Don't have a stroke mate because if you do you will go from a licenced electrician to a no nothing in 5 minutes. As you can read in most of my Satellite post you can read that Ive been on a learning curve leaning the things that put bread on our table and the things that were my hobby for 8 years now. Could you imagine not Recognizing your wife and kids 2 weeks after the incident, forget your licence, thats how bad I was.

Thanks

selection of cable is via AS/NZS 3008.1.1:2009 , then you need to know how the cable will be installed, totally enclosed in bulk thermal insulation or only partially or other method
    patially 4mm copper = 27a 6mm copper = 35a

you might want to look up 1.8.3 maximum demand
    less than 5kw 16a
    5 - 8kw 20a
    8 - 10kw 25a ETC

but that is only the half of it, make sure it installed to the letter of the manufacturers species otherwise your wty flies out the window
    woteva

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    I was a licenced Electrical contractor 6 years ago but due to my health I gave it all away. I cut a piece off the roll and dropped into the Electrical wholesaler that I was in yesterday and compared the cable and yes its 6mm not 4 MM like I stated before. The Original installation that feed both the cooktop and oven shared a 6MM T&E. Now I have a 6MM for each.
    I have no doubt it's been tough for you and your family with your health issues mate, but even having been an electrical contractor in the past, if you can't recall the difference between 4mm and 6mm cables, you pose a safety risk for you and your family if you can't remember what you're doing.

One simple mistake could create a dangerous outcome.

At least think about the safety implications before tackling some jobs that you have difficulty remembering how to do....... until you are well enough again to do them with the full knowledge and confidence to do them properly.

I'm not having a go at you personally mate and I wish you all the best with your recovery.

Thanks

Yeah I know your not having a go at me, its very frustrating for me to have confusion problems and I will do what I have to to get around this problem thus I cut a piece of twin and Earth cable and took it to the wholesaler or I will ask even a silly question on a public forum just to gauge the answers I get., Iam half as good than what I was in the pre- heart attack followed by the stroke days, Yeah I had the heart attack first (the Earth Quake) followed months later by a Stroke (the after shocks I called it) and it was the after shocks that did all the frustrating damage to me.
    Anyhow I'm super careful, I'm only 50% as good as I was in the good days but I can tell you this I'm 200% better in the quality of work that 90% of the sparkies do today. I have become paranoid with workmanship and quality of work.

Anyhow back on topic guys!! These el cheapo Induction Cook tops, If they can make them in China, sell them on ebay for $229 with free delivery how much do they cost in China to be manufactured. I wonder how long they will last.(ps I have allowed for a quick replacement for the old one just in case)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by omega99 View Post
    selection of cable is via AS/NZS 3008.1.1:2009 , then you need to know how the cable will be installed, totally enclosed in bulk thermal insulation or only partially or other method
    patially 4mm copper = 27a 6mm copper = 35a

you might want to look up 1.8.3 maximum demand
    less than 5kw 16a
    5 - 8kw 20a
    8 - 10kw 25a ETC

but that is only the half of it, make sure it installed to the letter of the manufacturers species otherwise your wty flies out the window
    I found the existing 6 MM cable from one end of the house to the other 99% under ceiling insulation, jumping over tiimber beams, in between trusses (sharp truss plates), so I had no choice but to disconnect it at the wall isolator end and re run the cable correctly

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post

Anyhow back on topic guys!! These el cheapo Induction Cook tops, If they can make them in China, sell them on ebay for $229 with free delivery how much do they cost in China to be manufactured. I wonder how long they will last.(ps I have allowed for a quick replacement for the old one just in case)
    What is not made in china these days or parts supplied!!!
    I would not worry too much, as stated you got it for a good price.....much better for the same product sold here in Australia for an inflated price & marketed under a different name.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,073 Times in 3,346 Posts

I purchased a combo cooktop (1/2 induction, 1/2 Infrared) at a builder's auction for $250.00. The new cookware cost me another $300.00. Despite the fact that I had to pension off $3000.00 worth of Cordon Bleu cookware I love it! The IR works with the Cordon Bleu stuff, but I much prefer cooking with the induction, temperature control is brilliant!