Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resolution and Bit rate for Terrestrial TV

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Default Resolution and Bit rate for Terrestrial TV

Hi,

Just wondering, anyone with the right equipment would like to answer these questions for me.

I would like to know the resolution and bit rates for our terrestrial channels here in Brisbane, being Channel (ABC1, 21), (22 ABC 2/4), (ABC 23, 23), and their (HD channel 24). Channel 7, 7 mate HD, 72 and 74. For Channel 9, 90 (GEM HD), 99 and Channel 10, 11 and 1 HD and finally SBS one, SBS2, NITV and SBSHD.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Thanks

AFAIK they are reasonably similar in all the capitals. And people have posted all transport stream info around the web for at least sydney.

All SD channels are 576i, ABC HD= 720p, SBS and commercial HD 1080i (though SBS at a lower horizontal resolution IIRC).

Full resolutions (ie. YYYxZZZ) should be in the transport steam information ive mentioned above
    I got 99 problems and a crimp aint one...

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Our TV's are very limited in information. All they tell us is its 1080 they dont say its 1920x1080. they could be 1440x1080 also.

Thanks

eg.

There is others there too

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

I can do grabs for each of the networks, below is SBS it shows the bit rates for each channel.

Last edited by mickstv; 17-03-13 at 12:20 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (19-03-13),mtv (19-03-13)

Thanks

Thanks mickstv.
    I would like to see the bit rates and the res's for all our Free to air channels as I've been asked by a few friend as to why is our High Def and Standard Def channels
    so crappy in Australia. I show them the PQ of NHK on Satellite intelsat 19 at 166 Deg East on a 71 inch HDtv and their jaws drop as most say its the sharpest High def picture they have ever seen.
    What has happened to our High Definition channels here in Brisbane or in total Australia. Only One HD ever gives us anything that looks like a fair HD looking channel but again nothing compares to what NHK is like on Intelsat 19.
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 18-03-13 at 10:53 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Some may disagree but I think the signal from VAST is far better than Terrestrial for quality but remember that much of the programing currently being shown on our Terrestrial channels was never made for Digital transmission and in fact I think some was made using a hand cranked candle lit 'Magic Box'.
    The ABC acknowledges this pathetic quality by having 'Talking Heads' reading the News 24/7 on their 'HD' channel.
    All they need is 7 Channel Dolby Digital to complete the farce.
    7 runs late 1940's B&W movies on their 'HD' channel and 9's offerings are equally nauseous.
    I havnt forgotten 10, it just to blah to mention.

Remember the song which I now destroy quoting, 'They never promised us Quality Programing, just that it would be done in Digital', which I believe they have exceeded in doing admiraly.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 18-03-13 at 11:20 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member

Thanks

Here's a few Bitrate's:

ABC

Ch7

Ch9

Ch10

Gem

OneHD

SBS1

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warbo For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (19-03-13),mtv (19-03-13)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr 672A View Post
    .... What has happened to our High Definition channels here in Brisbane or in total Australia....
    The simple answer is too many MPEG2 data streams (eg: digital channels) crammed into a 7MHz bandwidth.

You have 7MHz in total, so the more channels you have on that stream, the bitrate is divided up between them.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (19-03-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    The simple answer is too many MPEG2 data streams (eg: digital channels) crammed into a 7MHz bandwidth.

You have 7MHz in total, so the more channels you have on that stream, the bitrate is divided up between them.
    Yes I have been told the above the other day. I'm learning!! What bothers me is years ago when HD Started channel 7 used 7 as their HD Channel and the same for Channel 9 as 9 was their HD channel and I use to enjoy watching the News on either channel (mainly morning)in sharp HD on a 71 inch tv. Even dumb a.r.s.e shows like Home and away on 7 were done in sharp HD and I remember seeing the refection of whatever in the actors eyes and ever since the new extra channels have been introduced on both networks the mentality of these station logic has gone out the window. They have new shows done in sharp HD according to the yanks "eg" Revenge on 7, Persons of Interest on 9 where both of these popular US Shows are in a high res and high bit rate only to come to Australia and be ripped apart to fit in the networks capacity and at the same time 7mate shows in HD all the 1970's stuff up scaled in HD and the same for Gem for 9 as its full of 1970 material. What a joke!! Again only Channel 10's One HD is the only one to occasionally have a show that I can call HD.

As an example I keep talking about NHK on Intelsat 19 being VERY GOOD PQ in HD. I know its 1920x1080i but does anyone know the bit rate just to see what bit rate is really needed today to give you quality like whats on NHK. I noticed another two sports channels in HD (testing) on Asiasat 5 @ 100 Deg east. They are as or close to or as good as NHK on Intelsat 19.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Here's the rest of them....

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (21-03-13)

Thanks

Now for the second last million dollar question.

What Resolution do these 5 networks use? "eg" 1920x1080i or 1440x1080i or 1280x720p (I think)

Thanks

Now for the second last million dollar question.

What Resolution do these 5 networks use? "eg" 1920x1080i or 1440x1080i or 1280x720p (I think)
    I posted a link for you earlier, stating this information:

and the others here:

These are from Sydney in 2011. The only change for resolutions should be now that SBS HD is 1440x1080i (IIRC). The bitrates will be a little lower due to the datacasting channels and NITV.
    Last edited by nbound; 21-03-13 at 10:33 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to nbound For This Useful Post:

Mr 672A (21-03-13)

Thanks

Thank you nbound you have answered 99% of my questions. By the look at it 1920x1080 is a thing of the past. Only the other day a salesman at JB HiFi was telling a customer ( I was listening in) that Channel 7,9,10 were in 1920x1080i and were about to switch to the superior PQ in progressive scan soon as they lose the analogue network.

Thanks

Now for the final question (Sorry all for being a pain in the A...) I have spoken about NHK on Intelsat 19 being a good, clear, sharp HD Channel and its in 1920x1080i mpeg 4, can anyone with the correct equipment please let myself and others know what is the Bit Rate of this channel (for a comparison reasons with our crappy FTA channels).
    Thanks.

Thanks

Thank you nbound you have answered 99% of my questions. By the look at it 1920x1080 is a thing of the past. Only the other day a salesman at JB HiFi was telling a customer ( I was listening in) that Channel 7,9,10 were in 1920x1080i and were about to switch to the superior PQ in progressive scan soon as they lose the analogue network.
    Ah sales staff, they know just enough to hurt themselves... :P

Thanks

Nice and informative thread indeed! So many things to learn about terrestrial TV, broadcasting system and resolution. Thank you for sharing this. I have one question. Is selection of TV aerial matters a lot when it comes to signaling system?

Thanks

Oh dear.

Thanks

What we have to realise like many other things, is that television production has been deregulated.
    In the past there was a "broadcast standard" and to be employed in any sort of technical role in television broadcasting you have to hold a Broadcast Opeartors Certifcate of Proficiency......and there was a level of pride in these guys.

These days while there are certain requirements almost anything goes and production values have been slipping for nearly 20 years......we have changed from being ( technically) children of the BBC, to being the bastard sons of the american networks.

BUT it could be worse......look at ya modern digital TV and compare the quality of the work on the daytime American soaps with the Australian produced evening soaps......ya just have to look at the lighting and make up.....the lighting in the american soaps is horrid, unnatural with strong facial shadows, and the make up looks like it was put on with a trowel.

When they said they where going to broadcast High Def......I thaught Oh why bother, because most pre digital TV users would never seen an as good as it can be, analogue pitcure out of their TV...and realy would not have known the difference and still don't care.

Anybody who contracted TV antenna work in the not so distant past will tell you of the struggle to convince people to spend on a decent system.....as long as the picture is stable and more or less viewable...most people could not give a rats.

So, when a network has a choice of more channels and thus more revenue streams or better definition...its a no brainer for them.

cheers

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have no idea if the picture problem you see in the US soaps is not so much due to a laxity of standards but because the US still broadcasts in NTSC (Never the same Colour twice) where we use one of the PAL systems which in the very early days made a noticeable difference.
    I have made this comment before that when Digital was first introduced that all the Broadcasters promised was QUANITY, not QUALITY and I believe after seeing 1940's Black and White Movies on the 'HD' channel, they have succeeded admirably.

You are totally correct as many of those Forum Members who are or have been TV Antenna installers will agree that a person will spend 10 Grand on the latest U-Beaut TV and try to use a wet piece of string as an antenna, see the query by 'jamestaylor84' above re QUOTE: Is selection of TV aerial matters a lot when it comes to signaling system?:QUOTE
    I think that says it all................

One thing is your use of the word 'YA' for YOU, which is more a Scandanavian word for YES I believe is to me a drop in the standard of everyday spoken English.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 14-04-13 at 09:33 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast