Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted a few Australian Crash Test Bunnies !!!!.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgm View Post
    Nearly ALL Internet providers use their own proxy caches. This is simply for cost savings.
    A proxy cache is designed to provide 'transparent' access to the internet... it behaves and to all intents and purposes is a real internet connection. This can reduce the latency of the WWW but when you access this cache with many requests for the individual elements that make up a web page... you will have suffer the latency between your provider and your modem for each of these many requests... this is not a problem if the ping time to your provider is only 20ms or similar. However, if your connection to the provider is via a satellite in geostationary orbit, then you have a problem.
    This problem is reduced by the page accelerators used with satellite internet. A proxy 'page accelerator' does not provide a 'transparent' cache for the internet... rather it is an 'intelligence' that attempts to predict what your next request is. These predictions are used to send lots of data to your satellite modem which is then cached within your satellite modem (there is no significant latency between your modem and your computer)...
    Because this peculiar type of proxy is not a 'transparent' cache there are often things that don't work. You can try to get around this by turning the page accelerator off... but then you need to adjust interactive processes to tolerate the massive latencies (seconds!).
    Sorry to lecture, but a proxy cache is a totally different thing to page accelerator (proxy or not).
    Rgds
    Last edited by AJM; 07-04-13 at 10:47 PM.
    Vu+Duo OpenVix 3.0 with Avermedia Usb dual DVB-T (Model A825)
    Optus C1/D3 and Optus D1

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJM For This Useful Post:

dixons (08-04-13),warbo (08-04-13)

Thanks

I think I understand a bit more about latency but still confused about why the Plug in worked reasonably well in a previous version but not this one. Will try to delete and reinstall. Not keen to update image again as its a pain to have to set up the USB tuner,sat tuner and plug ins again.

Thanks

A proxy cache only provides reduced or low latency if it is properly configured and sized irrespective of round trip times. A perfect example of how not to do it is DoDo's cache, which often needs up to 5 or more refreshes to provide a page.
    Last edited by jgm; 08-04-13 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dixons View Post
    ... but still confused about why the Plug in worked reasonably well in a previous version but not this one. Will try to delete and reinstall. Not keen to update image again as its a pain to have to set up the USB tuner,sat tuner and plug ins again.
    That is a mystery. I agree that you should try and revert. Setting up an image (tuners, plugins etc) is not a real problem if you are able to backup your settings, though my experience is with Vix rather than BH.

Have you studied the manual for your satellite modem and discovered how to bypass the page accelerator. Has your provider given you an external IP on the WWW.
    Optus C1/D3 and Optus D1

Thanks

Have a PDF of manual, not sure how comfortable I would be with changing the settings but will have a read.
    Have been having problems with using torrents and a NAT problem. Activ8 have been next to useless in trying to sort it out blaming my router but I believe it is at their end as I can set my lap top on somebodies else's non sat system and the problem goes away so probably not an external IP.
    BH seems to have problems with saving settings correctly, have to reset sat tuners and reinstall sat list as well as all plug ins, or perhaps its me.

Thanks

The problems do sound familiar but when I was out bush (using Satellite Internet) the download allocations were so miserly that I rarely used torrents. However, I was able to successfully download epg data to the stb (DM7025).

They may be able to allocate an external IP address (at an additional charge?).

The On-Demand plugins use the 'free' service called TUNLR. There are other 'unblockers' which do similar things... change your apparent IP and make it seem like you're located elsewhere. For this to work you need to have an external IP... most Satellite Internet services share a limited number of external IPs on the other side of the 'page accelerator'. Your laptop reports its WAN IP as an internal IP on the Gateway's LAN. Hence if you can get them to give you your own (unshared) external IP, you have a chance (assuming the latency doesn't stuff it all up).

If you get this working (external IP etc), then you should probably use DNSMasq to allow you to only use your smart DNS with sites you specify. Presumably, this would allow you to use the 'page accelerator' for normal browsing and bypass it for specific sites. Here is some info from the TUNLR site regarding DNSMasq:

Here the UnoTelly mob advise that their smart DNS will not work with Satellite Internet. However, they claim that their VPN service does work with satellite internet! I have not tested whether VPN services work with satellite internet and I no longer have satellite internet, so can only refer to their claims.

The fact that it worked once for you (using TUNLR smart DNS, thats the default in the plugin) may mean that Activ8 allowed their external IP to be linked via TUNLR temporarily. They would not want this to occur and would stop this linking as soon as their systems found it.

If you want to avoid re-flashing your stb, why don't you install the TUNLR DNS IPs to your laptop in order to test whether this allows you to stream from BBC iPlayer (for example) to your laptop via your Activ8 Satellite Internet. If you can't stream to your laptop then you won't be able to do it reliably to your 'On-Demand' stb plugin. You could also avail yourself of the 'free trial' of UnoTelly to see whether their smart DNS and/or their VPN service works for you.

I seem to have saturated this thread with somewhat 'off topic' stuff. My apologies to the OP (I'm just about spent and the thread can get back to topic now!).
    Last edited by AJM; 09-04-13 at 09:23 PM.
    Optus C1/D3 and Optus D1

• The Following User Says Thank You to AJM For This Useful Post:

dixons (10-04-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dixons View Post
    Have installed On Demand on BH 2.2.0 RevA on a Vu Uno using slightly different telnet command
    opkg update
    opkg install enigma2-plugin-extensions-ondemand.
    This appeared to work but now BBC, ITV crash and ABC iview plays for a couple of minutes and then stops.When I was using BH 2.1.0 both BBC and ITV worked!
    I'm using a NBN sat connection and it might be of interest that I cannot connect using my lap top with the message on the FAQ that this is a problem that the ABC are aware of and expect to have it fixed by mid 2013.
    It's essentially the same command but the reason i include init 4 and init 3 is that plugins really should only be installed via telnet when enigma 2 is in a sleeping state.

init 4 puts enigma to sleep, init 3 reboots enigma or use init 6 which reboots the whole receiver not just a enigma restart.
    reserved for future use.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DUDE For This Useful Post:

dixons (10-04-13)

Thanks

Really interesting from AJM and Dude. Will take some time to digest all this but I'm going overseas for six weeks so will probably not get round to it till I get back.Not very impressed with the help from Activ8, will probably switch to Sky Mesh when I return as they seem to have their help desk in Australia and report no problem with torrent downloads.

• The Following User Says Thank You to dixons For This Useful Post:

AJM (10-04-13)

Thanks

Found time to update BH image to 2.0.2 RevB which was very good as I didn't have any problems with any settings. Ondemand still did not work so deleted and re installed but still no go. Am able to stream things like You Tube, 1 channel and TV online so who knows.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12