Thread: Solar Panel Calculators - Roof Angle, Orientation and Where You Live

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default Solar Panel Calculators - Roof Angle, Orientation and Where You Live

Does anyone know of a good Solar Panel Calculator that lets you enter your location, and it will then tell you the best Orientation, Look Angle for that location?

Something that perhaps works in conjunction with Google Maps so you can work out how an Array will look before you install it.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Optimum orientation and tilt depend on several factors. See the article at for more information.

There are several on-line calculators for the U.S.A., e.g. and , but I do not know of any similar calculators using Google Maps/Earth for Australia.
    Last edited by tristen; 24-03-13 at 01:50 PM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tristen For This Useful Post:

kevin1341 (24-03-13),ol' boy (27-03-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I would have thought NORTH was the primary azimuth no matter where you live in Australia unless you have a 'tracking' panel but elevation would be very dependant on how far South of the Equator you are.
    Without better information I would look to set the panel elevation as if it was looking at the Sun at its highest point when it was over the Equater which is about Now and mid September.
    I am not sure of the exact date as it varies on location but twice a year the sun comes directly behind C3 and D1 and can briefly cause 'outages' when this happens so using the dish elevation for the EASTERN states would probably work as I cant see even being 10 degrees out would make an appreciable difference to the power generated.

Also I have noticed that small free standing solar panels appear to be angled at around 45 degrees in my area west of Sydney which is close to the angle of a payTv dish unlike those on rooves which are mounted depending on the direction the roof is.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 24-03-13 at 05:50 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I would have thought NORTH was the primary azimuth no matter where you live in Australia unless you have a 'tracking' panel but elevation would be very dependant on how far South of the Equator you are.
    Without better information I would look to set the panel elevation as if it was looking at the Sun at its highest point when it was over the Equater which is about Now and mid September.
    You have almost got it there Gordon, according to info I use for a fixed installation; the optimum Azimuth is Solar/Sun North for your position & add 15degrees to your Latitude to get the optimum elevation. eg; I am at 42deg south so add 15 deg, I set my panel elevation at 57 deg.
    This gives you peak sun angle at midday in Spring & Autumn. The result is the maximum Solar radiation collected over 1 year for a fixed install.

I'll see if I can find the book I have with the info.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Download this program from SMA and you will find it interesting as you can for an example select an SMA inverter select or IMPORT your panels(find specs), punch in your location, select the elevation and compare the yields. Play with the East and West and Elevation for your location and you will see how it effects your yield.
    Go to.

Look for Service then Download, Software,Sunny Design,PC Software,International then download file Sunny Design 2.30
    Last edited by Mr 672A; 25-03-13 at 08:41 AM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr 672A For This Useful Post:

efab (25-03-13),gordonwh40 (25-03-13),ol' boy (27-03-13),tristen (25-03-13)

The only Country in the English speaking World where you cannot sue your Solicitor or Barrister.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 677 Posts

Don't forget to select the inverter and PV Modules (top Right)to be used or select NEW PV MODULE for your own panels. You have a little stuffing around with this program but if an old fart like me can work it out you younger guys will have no problems

Crazy Diamond
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,652 Posts

Did a little looking around on the subject & found this;

According to the , the ideal tilt angle for a solar PV array depends on the building’s electrical load profile (i.e. when you use electricity during the day). The below description refers to tilt frames, but its recommendations are worth bearing in mind when considering installing a panel array on a roof without tilt frames.
    As a rule of thumb, if the main loads are in winter months when solar availability is reduced, tilt angles should be more vertical (approximately equal to latitude plus 15°) to maximise exposure to the low winter sun. If major loads are cooling and refrigeration the tilt angle should be reduced (approximately latitude minus 10°) to maximise output during summer. For grid connect systems the summer optimum angle should be used to maximise annual output of the modules.

source;

Hope that is of some help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tiny; 25-03-13 at 09:21 AM.
    Cheers, Tiny
    "You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
    The information is out there; you just have to let it in."

• The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny For This Useful Post:

ol' boy (27-03-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    You have almost got it there Gordon, according to info I use for a fixed installation; the optimum Azimuth is Solar/Sun North for your position & add 15degrees to your Latitude to get the optimum elevation. eg; I am at 42deg south so add 15 deg, I set my panel elevation at 57 deg.
    This gives you peak sun angle at midday in Spring & Autumn. The result is the maximum Solar radiation collected over 1 year for a fixed install.

I'll see if I can find the book I have with the info.
    Tiny, I am 32 degrees South so using your maths and adding 15 degrees to that makes 47 degrees (I guessed 45)and that is almost the same elevation for a dish facing C1/D3.
    The Autumn and Spring Soltices are 21/22 March and 21/22 of September, which really is the change of the seasons, not on the 1st Calender day of the respective Month.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 25-03-13 at 11:40 AM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!