Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: If Turnbull butchers NBN to copper in the home you should just be charged for ADSL

Thanks

I am sure the labor's NBN is better network to the one proposed by coalition, no arguments about it.
    What I am trying to say is with today's financial situation and that many holes in Australian economy the coalition's plan looks more sensible. I don't give a damn how fast our internet will be if I won't be able to afford it.

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

Only a fool would say that FTH is not as good as FTN, I think that the biggest problem is not so much capacity of the system, but the costs of it. If you want FTH, you should be prepared to pay for it, if you don't, you should not have to subsidise those that do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    If you think the Coalations NBN is better than Labors, please press the following link for your free prize to be located out side your residence

Driving around Perth today I could see we have power transformers for underground power in the suburbs which was installed when they removed overhead power poles, we have bus stop shelters, traffic light cabinets & Telstra cabinets (do not know the name).

The more I read about the nbn the more I just see people filling their pockets at the expense of the taxpayer

Thanks

As we are now on the global scale.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    As we are now on the global scale.....

You can't seriously say that the ookla test is a correct indicator of how the internet system performs?
    Ha, we are almost as fast as Mongolia !!!! Gosh, they have one PC for the whole country sitting in the ISP office desk. Plus 50% of Australians are registered by the ookla as USA residents (Netflix)

Thanks

Oh so cynical. You still using your 56k modem?... OOOOO it's on the intertubez.... it cant be realz!!! Learn a little more about what they do before you rag them. Or, provide an alternative source you believe more reliable.

15 years ago, 56k was (if you were lucky you connected at 45k with decent ISP) great and did everything we needed. Then along came ADSL and we all marveled at how fast our 256 or 512k connections were. That was until all manner of sites started taking advantage of the increased bandwidth available, so we all went out and got even more bandwidth. Do you remember youtube on 512k? Can you imagine Hulu or Netflix on those connections? Can you even imagine those services being in existence without today's connection speeds? I think not. Even without video, a lot of sites are now so content heavy they'd take forever to load without them. Flash forward another 10 years and you're sitting there with your dodgey old copper connection (that's joined 8 times between you and the exchange that's 3km away) and you're struggling to sync at anything more than 8m. Sites have become even more content heavy and everything takes for ever to load. Getting peeved with it all, you decide you'll go to the local video shop and hire a movie. OH BUGGER!! They've all gone broke. You'll have to wait 3 hours while your slow arse connection downloads that new release.

Like it or not and regardless of cost, this is one of those things that this country needs to do if we've got a hope in hell of keeping up with what's increasingly becoming a global economy.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

borisbadfinger (23-04-13),huc (17-04-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fromaron View Post
    I am sure the labor's NBN is better network to the one proposed by coalition, no arguments about it.
    What I am trying to say is with today's financial situation and that many holes in Australian economy the coalition's plan looks more sensible. I don't give a damn how fast our internet will be if I won't be able to afford it.
    I imagine your opinion would change the day that your copper pair fails and it is discovered that there are no more spares in your street's cabling requiring your services to be provided over a split pair. Split pairs make a mess of ADSL(2+) but will be completely ruin a VDSL(2) service. Even something as simple as a wet joint (insert C&C quips here) will knock a 25Mbit/sec VDSL2 service down to 1Mbit/sec. Consider how prone Telstra's copper network is to water ingress (just look at the number of lineys out and about every time there's good rain) and imagine what that is going to do to speed under Turnbull's proposed system.

In the scheme of things allocating $4B / year for 10 years to build a fibre network is but a drop in the ocean of federal government spending. Let's not forget that NBN is effectively self-funding too. If affordability is such a concern the expense of maintaining the copper network should be more than sufficient to convince one that replacing it with a fibre network is a completely sensible idea. Turnbull's FTTN proposal cuts off the long largely trouble free trunk runs to the exchanges and leaves the hacked about 'last mile', where 90% of the faults occur and money is spent, in place.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 17-04-13 at 07:51 AM.

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

borisbadfinger (17-04-13),huc (17-04-13),kde (18-04-13),therealyuriboy (18-04-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    Then along came ADSL and we all marveled at how fast our 256 or 512k connections were.
    Ah yes, I remember the day my 512k service went live. It was a revelation, 'holy sh*t that's fast' sort of thing. Now days 512k seems unbearably slow. Still, if it was up to Telstra we'd be limited to 1500/256 and pay $90+ for 3Gb.

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpankedHam View Post
    If affordability is such a concern the expense of maintaining the copper network should be more than sufficient to convince one that replacing it with a fibre network is a completely sensible idea. Turnbull's FTTN proposal cuts off the long largely trouble free trunk runs to the exchanges and leaves the hacked about 'last mile', where 90% of the faults occur and money is spent, in place.
    Having been a faultman I agree with you entirely and the effect the wet joints is going to have on the vdsl
    part of Malcoms network is scary knowing what I know about the copper network's condition.

• The Following User Says Thank You to marty 17 For This Useful Post:

huc (17-04-13)

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Had an outage 2 months ago, but on phone, looked out the window to see theTechie up the pole (yep not in the ground) asked him how bad the junction box was he said it was 10 minutes past midnight and could not possibly see an alternative to FTH or a very large slab on monies being spent on upgrading the copper
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I was trying to do some streaming last night and although I am using a new computer with middle sort of capability on a wireless (3G) connection, I still buffer, 3 seconds run, 7 seconds load, 3 run, 7 load............
    Ok, some of this could be the sites fault as well as many other factors but its acknowledged that Rural/Regional areas are poorly serviced.
    To me the Turnbull/Abbott plan is to go and buy a 6 cylinder car and not connect 2 of the cylinders and lets face reality based on past that what isnt done NOW, will NEVER get done due to the increased cost of doing, changing technologies and lack of interest.
    Why start with a recognised Half Arsed system that has a defined capacity and use by date already admitted by its proponents (Turnball/Abbott) ???
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Why does copper stuff up in all these apartment buildings they say they are going to upgrade?

Seems a waste to me

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knowabit1 View Post
    Why does copper stuff up in all these apartment buildings they say they are going to upgrade?

Seems a waste to me
    If the "they" you are talking about is the NBN then they (the NBN ) have a plan to give FTTP and not fibre to a node in a apartment basement.

The copper stuff up in apartments is in the joints/terminations just the same as all the faulty joints in the street cable.

It is not the copper itself just the joints.
    Last edited by marty 17; 22-04-13 at 10:28 PM. Reason: double post

Banned

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knowabit1 View Post

Seems a waste to me
    If the "they" you are talking about is the NBN then they (the NBN ) have a plan to give FTTP and not fibre to a node in a apartment basement and then use the existing copper to each subscriber.

The copper stuff up in apartments is in the joints/terminations just the same as all the faulty joints in the street cable.

It is not the copper itself just the joints.

Premium Member

Thanks

Probably not the best place to post but gives an idea that things need to quicken up

Thanks

NBN providing its services to high density MDUs via short copper runs is nothing new and it was only ever going to be considered where:

a) it really is high density, which rules out most of the residences that people are currently running around in circles waving their arms about and proclaiming 'the world is ending'. No, a two story block of flats is NOT high density.
    b) the structure of the building makes it nigh on impossible to pull fibre

Don't be sucked in by Conroy's 'dismay' and 'surprise'. He was part of the process that discussed the very possibility of delivering NBN to high density MDUs in just this way.

Don't be sucked in by the latest Lib diatribe either. VDSL2 over 100 metres of copper will be able to provide 100Mbit/sec without difficulty, in fact if left to float up to the maximum achievable it could do around 200Mbit/sec.

Unlike the buried/underground cables, the wiring in MDUs is usually in good condition, with the only remedial work required being reworking any defective joints. This is a far far cry from what the Libs are proposing - VDSL2 over 'up to' 800 metres of wire which even in a pristine state would only be able to deliver around 30Mbit/sec. The wire in the ground is far from pristine and needs to be replaced to achieve the speeds the Libs are claiming their system will provide.
    Last edited by SpankedHam; 24-04-13 at 11:29 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (24-04-13)

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks

It wouldn't at all surprise me to discover the Libs FTTN plan leaves telephony very much in the hands of Telstra and that in order to get a FTTN provisioned service you will need to have a Telstra supplied telephone service (retail or wholesale) at atleast $20 / month even if you don't use it, ie you will get to pay homage via way of a monthly financial sacrifice to the Great Telstra for ever and a day.

Come on Mal, prove me wrong.

• The Following User Says Thank You to SpankedHam For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (29-04-13)

• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234