Thread: Spelling Names out on Computer Voice

Thanks

Default Spelling Names out on Computer Voice

I have a TomTom 720 with the latest Australia map and so on. The Computer voices insist on spellng out some words like 'NATIONAL' and 'STATE'. I have been in touch with TomTom , and they just said I was using the wrong language or something, which is ridiculous. Has anybody else got this annoying problem and been able to fix it?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigAl2108 For This Useful Post:

agameer (01-04-13)

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Mispronouncing words they all do but actualy spelling them too?

Be thankfull we're not in Wales with some of the long names they have there because by the time it spelt it out, you'd be 3 towns up the road..................
    I must say the only 'language' I have heard in relation to a GPS is often bad after missing the turn or direction or stuffing up the details when trying to program it.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

agameer (01-04-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

I guess you are refering to these annoying and wrong thing when entering a freeway or state route, like the spelling of STATE or the adding of "national" to any motorway?
    If so, check the preferences and untick "say road numbers", after that it should speak to you as expected.
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder

• The Following User Says Thank You to Downunder35m For This Useful Post:

BigAl2108 (01-04-13)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I've now unchecked the preference and done a demo of the route. As you said, it no longer spells out those names attached to road numbers. It now only says: "Turn left at the end of the road" or something like that. It still speaks the normal road names though, so I suppose it's a successful fix. I still don't really understand why it can't say 'National' or 'State' though. Perhaps I should have got a Garmin...
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 862 Posts

I experimented quite a lot with the Loquendo engine on TT.
    The speech creation follows a simple rule (as an example for instructions):
    1. a complete sentence it generated based on the needed instruction and road names involved
    2. if for a word in that sentence an entry in the csspeech file exists, the pronounciation pattern for that word word replaces it
    3. the fully sentence is send to the speech engine producing the output

The intersting bit is that part 1 also relies on the settings of the TT, e.g. the more detailed instructions you select, the more is included in the entence.
    For the annoying so called alternate road names TT messed up similar to the fact that is impossible to change words coming from the csspeech file.
    This means the TT is
    a) not removing the normal road name to be replaced by the alternate name, but instead adds it
    b) not able to speak the alternat road name as TT (hopefully by mistake) included all alternate road name in the same way they are used in the US: as numbers!

Since this number convertion results in each number being spelled the alternate road name is spelled out as well
    By default all this should happen directl in the Loquendo engine but of course TT thought it is better to keep all mods inside the Navcore and map.
    If you would remove the csspeech files you can even make the alternate road name usable as normal but loose all pronounciation patterns for unknown words as defined in the csspeech file - this of course results in most road names to sound like an accident....
    It is no problem to make a computer voice laugh or pronounce sentences with a very sad voice, even replace complete instructions (for all affected stuff) but the most thing, changing number spelling for a name to normal pronounciation is impossible due to the way TT uses the engine.

Same problem by the way for creating your own computer voice (like Karen for real AU english).
    You can use the Loquendo SDK for almost anything, but not to create a compatible voice for a TT ***frustration***
    IMHO opinion TT is ignoring existing TT users for that matter as these AU voices are available for other TT systems, like on Android.
    Tomtom GO730 ,Navcore 9.004 ,Bootloader 5.5256 ,Map :Australia 845.2661
    ttmaps and Tomplayer on 16GB SDHC class6
    Password for all my files: downunder